Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:)

So I hope this doesn't sound to dramatic! LOL

I'm deathly afraid of PB'ing and I haven't even had my surgery yet! I have been this way my entire life (literally one of my BIGGEST fears).

If I follow my rules to a T am I still going to vomit for sure? It seems like almost everyone does. My mother-in-law had gastric bypass and PB's all the time (unwilling of course). I just don't want to end up like that..

Any advice? Please...

I had my first episode of getting something stuck this past weekend. I realized ir as soon as it happened. I took a small bite and chewed it well but the spinach I ate still had some string in it. Yes, it came back up but I did not vomit. I just regurgitated it. All in all it wasn't too bad an experience. Just some minor pain and only lasted about 5 minutes. I know that I will be super careful in the future to make sure it doesn't happen ever again. I would hate to experience an episode like some others have written about. Just pay attention to your body's signals and you should be all right. Don't eat or drink anything more after you get that signal.

PBing is NOT at all (for me) like vomiting. I HATE to vomit.

Though I must say, I cannot imagine not getting this life changing, or rather, life saving surgery because of a fear of vomiting.

I wanted to add, there is no guarantees how you will react post-op. We are all different. There are many (older) threads around here about this subject. I think there is an old poll about how often folks PB. From what I recall, there are a number of people who have never done it, some who have only done it a couple of times, and yet some still who do it more frequently.

Following all the rules is a good way to cut down on the number of PB's, but nothing is guaranteed, sadly.

You will discover what foods are triggers for you, what foods you absolutely cannot and at what fill level this occurs. Some people have no problems with any foods, some cannot eat rice, some cannot eat bread, some have trouble with steak, others have difficulty with dry chicken, etc. No way to tell what your issue will be, or if you'll have one.

I have no fill in yet and I do have trouble with deli turkey meat. I have to eat it very slowly and chew well, but I do alright with most everything else.

I was just banded at the beginning of Jan and so far I haven't had any vomitting or PBing. I do agree with the other posts in that you need to follow the directions given by your surgeon and just pay attention to how you feel when you are eating and take it slow.

I am a newbie here, just started with paperwork. I am learning alot by reading alot of the posts. But what the heck is PBing? :glare: Someone "splain" please.

PB'ing stands for "productive burping," essentially it's when your food comes back up b/c it was not chewed properly, your body rejects it, etc.

Hope this helps!

I am one year and 4 months out. It's not that bad...if you're at home and take your time with it. What I have found hard is when I'm out in public and this happens. It usually takes a few not so discreet visits to the bathroom. And then an explanation to my group that I'm not bulemic. My friends have all learned the "signs" and have been great buffers.

Whilst I cant elegantly PB silently into a zip loc bag like others seem to be able to do, its not that bad honestly. For me its a big loud cough.

I think you can be certain it WILL happen at some stage. However its happened to me less than five times in over two years, and three of those five were in the privacy of my own home, so no big deal. It hurts when food gets stuck, but not generally in an excruciating way, its just uncomfortable and dealing with the secretions your body makes to shift the food is something you dont want to have to do in public. But its not nauseating at all and its not at all like vomiting. It can be VERY loud though, lol.

Twice its happened in public but generally you are more careful in public.

What you do risk when you decide to be banded is not knowing if you're going to be one of the sensitive ones that gets stuck and PB's often, or if you're going to be lucky like me and suffer it rarely.

I was banded nearly 5 years ago. PB'ing is part of the journey, no big deal. You really do get used to it. It's my body's way of saying, "hey chick, you ate too much, follow the rules!"

PBing for me is NOTHING like vomiting...

(my stomach does not "convulse/wretch")

.... it's more like spitting up Fluid, mucus and food... just more than can be discretely spit into a napkin at the dinner table. I have always felt it coming on... like discomfort. I have always had time to get a bathroom. I can usually do this in a public bath room with no one else knowing. It does not happen often at all.