Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Dr's and why.. SERIOUS

Hi All,

I've been going in cirlces on who to go to and where and am at my witts end. I was planning on going to Mexico and am concerned with so many Dr's and need to know once and for all who's good, who gives good after care, etc and I'd like to hear about your experiences on your whole process in going to any clinics/hospitals. Any recommendations?

I was thinking of going to Monterrey, Mexico. Anyone here been there to Dr. Auturo Rodriguez? I want to do this but want to ease my mind and make sure it's the right thing. Since I'm in Canada, and am in a small cimmunity I'll need to se where I can go for any aftercare near me.

I guess I should have my own personal physician notified about what I'm doing..I hope to get my passport back and make a decision by April.

Any thoughts.... Do's, don'ts, things to watch for, paying etc.. Anything will help.. thanks

BGP

Welcome to LBT~~

There are several Dr. threads, detailing who each used, what the cost was etc.

I fully believe getting your personal physician involved, and looking into after care to be of utmost importance before moving on to a surgeon.

I did use a surgeon in Mexico---I went to Mexicali MX and used Dr. Aceves. I was totally and completely happy with the experience. I have recommended him to many locally who have used him.

I do know when I had my surgery done going on 2 years ago, he was very strict--concerning having a follow up plan in place. He spoke with the Dr. I intended on using closer to home for fills, and was still not satisfied!!! The closest fill Dr. I had at the time was over 6 hours away one way! So he had me speak with my physician concerning emergency treatment. In the end I spoke with my former oncologist, whose office is used to dealing with ports, and got his agreement to do a total unfill in case of emergency--and then and only then did he agree to do my surgery!

He contacted me several times following surgery, and now the office touches base every 3 months. He gave me lots of information and visited with me one on one prior to the surgery. He accepted some of my medical test results, others he required his own, but it was part of the cost.

I would avoid ANY Dr. who was willing to set up a surgical date without any pre op testing, or speaking to you personally!

I would not go to a Dr. who insisted on pre payment before I arrived in the country for surgery. Dr. Aceves normally required a $500.00 payment to schedule the surgery and the rest upon your pre op visit. Somehow the envelope my SIL mailed with our checks was lost, and never arrived, until we had been home for 3 weeks!!! Anyway, he did not fuss about it, we paid it all when we saw him...well his office staff for that part of it.

I would be sure to ask how many Lap Bands the surgeon has done.

What his complication rates are.

What exact type of band he uses.

What size of port he uses.

If you have issues with tape or metal--ask how he closes the wounds.

If you are concerned with port placement, ask where he places it in most cases.

Whether this is a hospital or a surgical center.

Are they willing to give you info on the hosp. so you can check for issues with the hospital.

How long of a stay they anticipate, what is usual for them.

Whether there will be English speaking nurses available.

Whether you can have a support person with you at all times barring surgery itself.

Is there a place for your support person to sleep? Eat?

What type of pre op testing they require.

Do they have any transportation help to and from the airport/

Do they have accomodations for you while you are there, and not in the hospital?

I cannot think right off the top of my head---I am sure you will receive more questions to ask-----BE INFORMED!! Have all your ducks in a row before surgery--do not get it done and then come around looking for a fill Dr. This is your health!

Good Luck to you!! Any other questions, feel free to ask away, if you do not get answers---either bump the question to the top again, or ask again. Sometimes this board moves quickly and the question does not get seen.

Again, welcome!

Kat

Check out wasabubblebutt's posts. She went to Dr. Aceves in Monterey (I think hat is where he is) and she seems to rave about him. I went to Dr. Ortiz in TJ and my experience was great from the transportation, the clinic and staff, aftercare so far has been great (haven't really needed any aftercare only one fill that went really well) The Hotel they put you in was really nice and clean. I can't say enough about Dr. Ortiz his staff and their clinic, it was all too good to be true. I had the easiest recovery in the world. My incisions are as small as possible with no staples or stitches. His website is Relocate, he does surgery in Cancun also I believe. If you are going to Mexico for sure you should check him out also.

Great info Kat, I wish I had a check off list like that when I started my journey! BTW Dr. Ortiz did want 500 up front and he did all of his own testing as far as blood work and ekg, I met with his nutritionist the day before surgery. My personal doctor did not want to send me to a nutritionist, just told me to quit eating and exercise! Wonderful healthcare we have in the US, LOL

Most PCP's don't want to get involved. I think the biggest reason mine has been so interested and followed my success so closely is that he would like his wife to have the surgery. She does not have a huge amount of weight to lose, under 100 pounds easily, but she is diabetic, and he is VERY impressed with the results on diabetes following WLS,and he likes the "fixability" of this vs. RNY.

My insurance required a nutritionist, so when I was trying to get them to cover me----I had that.

I really think most Dr.'s here in the US or out of the country will require a deposit or some of the money up front----to assure them they are not wasting time and money scheduling the OR, getting things in motion---- BUT I would never use one who required 100% up front, and I have heard of them!

But yeah, you are right, our healthcare in the US sure does need worked over--maybe it will happen!

Kat

Hi Ladies,

This is a big help.Thanks for writing. Well, my Dr has always been pretty supportive in my Quest for wanting to do things... I had asked her about seeing a plactic surgeon a few years back to see about a Tummy Tuck and she was right on it, so I would talk to her about this so she is well informed and maybe even print some stuff off or give her the website to go to if she'd like to check into it herself.. Not sure if many family Dr's will do that or not, but at least she'll know what I'm doing. This weight thing has been a life long struggle. We don't have any fill Dr's here but rather 2 nurses who doit and I've been inb touch with one so far via email and she is an hour from me so that would be very convenient.

I'm praying I can get my passport by the end of Feb and see about getting the surgury done as early as March.. But I sure want to make sure everything is ok and I have as much info as I can possible get.

BGP

You absolutely need to make sure you have access to after care and fills BEFORE you get the surgery. I am also Canadian and I have heard that there can be a lot of problems with getting a fill dr. if you didn't have your surgery in Canada or the states.