Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irrational Guilt

I'm 10 days post-op. I stayed on the clear Soups for the first four days but at only 9 calories per serving, I was worried I was going to pass out on day three, although I didn't feel 'hunger' in any recognisable sense. In fact since my surgery I have only felt a vague hunger once. I having been making Soup which I pass through a very fine seive and them Water down with clear broth so they are the consistency of hot chocolate. They could easily go through a straw. A cup or so fills me up.

My problem is that when I feel full I feel guilt! This has been compounded by the fact that although I lost 11lbs in the first 6 days, I haven't dropped another ounce since. Now I know that it's probably that I'm turning into a big bag of water with all the liquid I'm pushing in, but I reckon my calorie intake is about 500 a day, so it's a bit frustrating. I'm also worried that I'm pushing my metabolism into starvation mode which will make long term weight loss that much harder. This probably explains why I am retaining so much water. I am taking in 3-4 pints of liquid a day but there's not a lot coming out.

On the plus side, I do feel fine. I cycled today - only about 3/4 of a mile but it was good to get moving again. I want to eat but so far, other than sucking on a milk cholocate button until it vanished in my mouth, I haven't cheated once - a minor miracle in itself. But, golly, it's so boring!?

Never through I'd be saying I can't wait until I can eat baby food!

Scotty, you probably are in starvation mode. Have you tried keeping track of your foods on www.fitday.com ? This is a healing time, not meant to worry about weight loss. How about some rich cream Soups? I know that you're an excellent cook. You will have a flurry of emotions surface during this journey. Not eating all the time to stifle our emotions means we have to face them. Also, you're still recovering from surgery. It really will get better. Congratulations on your great weight loss. You're already biking? That's wonderful.

Thanks for that New Hope! Yes - I left my bike in the garage where I store my car about three weeks ago and I was going to walk it back to my apartment, but I feel absolutely great - no pain or discomfort at all really since Thursday last - so I jumped on and cycled the half mile back.

I just signed up for Fit-day.com. It's good if you eat a lot of shop bought food, but without meaning to sound like a really 'holier than thou' fat Martha Stewart, I do like to make a lot of my food from scratch so it's harder to do the calculations! But it is good to have another project filling in those boxes every day. It was interesting to see that a cup of prune juice is a whopping 162 calories! (I need to dig out my american 'cups' to make sure I'm getting this right!)

I read the 'Importance of Water' thread and need to drink even more Water I think. See if I can't get a decent 'flow' coming out! I think it's true that you can't really over-estimate the importance of water in the weight-loss process.

Scotty

Scotty, I just want to mention that if you're interested in really tracking your food, nutrition, and other progress you might want to spring for the $20 and get Fitday's desktop version. The feature I like best is the ability to create and save custom foods based on their ingredients, rather than just the label information. This way my husband's recipes get counted accurately.

Enjoy your baby food, when it's time. And I know you will! :cool:

Scotty, I would talk with a dietian I don't think you are getting enough calories & your body will tend to store what little you give it instead of expelling & burning them. Also you should be thinking in terms of inches than weight. If you haven't measure yourself yet, do so & measure again 1 month from now. This is always a better scale to go by (But of course you already knew that;0)) You just needed a little reminder. Your success so far is huge & will continue- be patient & good to yourself.

Hi there...I am 17 days post op and I too lost 10 pounds in the first 4 days. But, according to my scale haven't lost any since, and actually fluctuate from 2 pounds higher- lower on some days. I agree with you that I feel discouraged since we are only eating less than 500 cal a day. But, I have to often think of those 10 lbs as a great start...and that thought keeps me motivated. If we didn't have this surgery 10 lbs would most likely take us a month or more to lose and we lost it in less than a week. Try not to stress out about your lack of weight loss..I believe that It will come...Good luck and let us know how you're doing.:cool: