Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Optifast diet

Hi all

Just after a bit of advice since I am relatively new here. This subject has probably been done to death, but I am going to jump in and ask anyway. :eek:

I was wondering if anyone had done a pre-Optifast diet before their banding? For example, I have 8 weeks until I get banded, which means I have 6 weeks until I start the Opti. I am considering starting the Opti now and having one meal Opti and the rest normal food. Then with 4 weeks to go I will change to 2 Opti's per day and one normal, with the two weeks (or 10 days for me) prior to surgery having 3 Opti per day. Does this make sense?

Is this a good/bad/indifferent idea that will assist me prior to surgery, or would I be beating myself silly doing this?

The other question would be which one of the meals would be best replaced first? dinner, Breaky or lunch. Too much to think about!

All opinions greatly sought as you guys have all the experience.

Thanks all

hi,

I have 2 weeks today till surgery and Im on Optifast.

I feel like Im going to die.

Have made some Soup - vege which is helping me cope though.

I also have replace 1 meal today and then tomorrow and then 3 the next. Start with what ever is easiest. I replaced Breakfast and then i will replace lunch and so on.

i recon start as early as soon as possible - gets the weight moving and it all helps.

regards

M:smile:

If you are motivated to do it, then go ahead. Losing as much weight as you can before surgery can only be beneficial.

As to when to replace your meal, I would say it depends on when you are the hungriest. I'm always famished in the evenings but can hardly bother with Breakfast so I found it easier to have the shakes for breakfast and lunch and then the meat and veges for dinner.

Good luck with it all!

Hi Peek and welcome to the club :eek: Most of us had to do a pre-op diet, though not all - it depends upon the surgeon and on your own BMI. Generally, the higher the BMI, the more chance of a fatty/enlarged liver and therefore more likely a pre-op diet will be required. Some surgeons just prescribe them for everyone, regardless of BMI. Best to do just what your doctor says...

Of all the pre-ops, a liquid Meal Replacement like Optifast is the most common, especially in Australia. Those of us who have had to do it have found that it really does help to jumpstart the weight loss, although sticking to it for 2 weeks is damned hard!! If it were me, I wouldn't go to that extreme until you had to do it - Optifast gets really old very quickly, and you will almost certainly be asked to stick to a liquid diet (although not necessarily Optifast) for at least 2 weeks post-op too, so a month on liquids is a tough haul.

If you are confident you can tough it out for that long, go for it, but you may find it hard going and it could make you lose dedication before you've even begun. You know best how you react to diets, so it's up to you but something to think about anyway...

Perhaps you should just try to eat sensibly and not gain, while you are waiting for the countdown to begin? I had fully intended to do that but found myself going the mini "Last Supper" route while I was still getting surgeon appointments and dates together. Then, when I finally got to see the surgeon, he scheduled the op for only 2 weeks later and I had to go on the Optifast starting immediately. I really mourned not having a chance for one last full-on blow out for a little while but came to my senses fairly quickly.

Hi Peek,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you - got about 6 weeks till surgery but thinking of easing my way into the Optifast full time. I bought some chocolate opti today and will start replacing one meal - probably lunch or dinner I think and see how I go.

Anyone got favourite flavours?

I prefer the deserts myself. They seem to feel more like a meal and are very tasty.

They taste much better really chilled as well.

I think I still may have 1 last bash b4 the surgery though - i am after all human.

regards M

This is good news. Here I was thinking I had to do Optifast for 6 weeks before the surgery and wondering how on earth I was going to last that long! If its only 2 weeks I'll be able to manage. *phew*

Thanks for your opinions guys. Getting differing opinions always helps.

I figured since I play netball on Monday and Tuesday (and sometimes Wednesday) nights, that those nights I will do the shake either before I play or after. Last night was an early game, so I had one when I got home (it was lemon wafer flavoured) and it was pretty good. I think it did the trick.

I have also bought some Up-and-go liquid breakfasts (yummy banana and honey!) and will try them for breaky with some yoghurt. The essential Vitamins and minerals I will get from dinner when I don't play netball and my lunches.

I am keen to drop a few kilos to get into my favourite pants that were tight just before chrissy but are now unfortuantely too small. :lol: So I think I will give this a go and see how I go. It may prepare me for the 10 days purely Opti before surgery.

Hugs