Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GAS Pains Post-Op Surgery

Hello, this is my first time to this site and having trouble finding an answer to address gas pains after surgery. I had my surgery on 1/28/08 and have been in pain ever since. It comes and goes and sometimes it feels like pressure in the middle of my chest. The Dr. looked at my port and said it looked good. Is it normal to have pains for 6 days after surgery? It has definetly slowed down my recovery and it is hard to get all my Water in and sometimes Protein. Thank you for any insight into this new LBP's experience.

I was banded yesterday 2/1 and I'm feeling exactly the same. Lots of pain and it feels like I have a giant air bubble in my body that won't come out. My doc checked over everything this morning and said it all looked good. He said it can take a week before all the air is gone. Kinda miserable, huh? Hope you feel better soon!

Walk, walk, walk. My friend was just banded and she uses a heating pad to relieve some belly discomfort and walks to get the gas out. I hope your feeling better. I'm going on Monday the fourth.

I had mine for almost 2 weeks. It was horrible the first few days. I think its from the air they pump into your body to see? Good Luck.

My surgery was 1/29 and even though the gas has gotten better, I am still dealing with the sensation that there is a huge burb waiting to be released. Ugh! It hurts and yes, it is getting in the way of drinking all the Water I need to be drinking.

I drank hot tea. It help alot. My physician did not tell me this but i had gallbladder and the told me this would help with the gas pain so i did it and it helped also a heating pad helped.

beth

I was banded yesterday 2/1 and I'm feeling exactly the same. Lots of pain and it feels like I have a giant air bubble in my body that won't come out. My doc checked over everything this morning and said it all looked good. He said it can take a week before all the air is gone. Kinda miserable, huh? Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it was miserable and I probably didn't do as much walking as I should. Today is day 8 and for the first time my stomach is not hard or in pain. I went back to work yesterday so all the activity must of really helped. Hope you are feeling better, if not, try walking and getting up and down alot, seems to have worked for me.

Walk, walk, walk. My friend was just banded and she uses a heating pad to relieve some belly discomfort and walks to get the gas out. I hope your feeling better. I'm going on Monday the fourth.

Thank you. You were right, lots of walking and getting up and down from my desk apparently did the trick. Today is the first day I have felt human; only took me 8 days. :)

I drank hot tea. It help alot. My physician did not tell me this but i had gallbladder and the told me this would help with the gas pain so i did it and it helped also a heating pad helped.

beth

Thank you for your reply. I drank lots of tea but it didn't seem to help much. The activity or just the time seems to have made the most difference. Feeling more human today... :)

I had mine for almost 2 weeks. It was horrible the first few days. I think its from the air they pump into your body to see? Good Luck.

Thank you.

Hi I am so glad you shared the tea and walking ideas.I was just banded yesterday and the more I walk the less pains I have been having. I still have a lo of pain with siting up to get ou of bed . Is that just time that makes that better ? any suggestions.

I was banded on 1/16 and the first week I was so bloated and full of gas that I was miserable. I worried that something was wrong because I could not seem to get any relief. Finally as I got more active it got better a little every day. Just hang in there, you will feel better.

Hello, congratulations and yes the stomach pain from surgery will go away before you know it. I used a pillow against my stomach to get up for support which helped a lot. Take care of yourself and let others help you up the first few days if you have someone who can. Best wishes...

Hi I am so glad you shared the tea and walking ideas.I was just banded yesterday and the more I walk the less pains I have been having. I still have a lo of pain with siting up to get ou of bed . Is that just time that makes that better ? any suggestions.

I was banded 1/29, and the gas pains were horrible! That was the worst part of the whole surgery! I used gas-X, but that didn't help much. Heat didn't help much for me, either. Walking around and switching positions helped some. But, I'm happy to report that as of about 2/4, it was MUCH better! It will get better! Hang in there.

Thank you all for your help. I am having less pain today, but now I wonder if the annoyance and soreness is from the steri strips. ugggghhh.Good news though, down 6lbs, since surgery worth hte discomfort to see the scales move.