Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need advise from those who had proceedure

Hi..

I have an appt next month to see the surgeon about the lapband. I have a few concerns.Could someone answer a few questions, as the best ones to get the answeres from are from someone who experienced it.

I read where you cannont eat anything but liquids for the first month. Being a severe diabetic,on insulin,and one who can crash very easy, I am concerned about that. My dr just said, we would deal w/ that if a problem ocurs.

I also have servere GERD/hiatial hernia/ do they usually fix the hiatial hernia while they are inside placing the band

People I know have had lap band and they seem to be able to eat most everything , except in small moderation,so Iknow Iwill be ok once Iget to eat again, but its the 4 weeks w/out food that Iam scared of.

Liquids for 4 weeks-maybe.. it depends on your doc. They are all different. After surgery- due to swelling etc.. you may not even feel hungry for quite some time.

We've all done it.. YOU CAN DO IT TOO. I lost 24 pounds on pre-op diet alone...2 weeks! That is sooooo worth it.

It also depends on doc. if they will repair your hernia at the same time.

Diabetic condition can still be controlled, with proper choices of liquids and nutritional balance.

Good luck and great health to you. :rolleyes:

I know 4 weeks on liquids sounds crazy but it isn't as bad as you would think. At first it is just Clear Liquids like broth and stuff but then they start to add in creamy liquids like cream of chicken Soup. Even though the band isn't tightened when it is 1st put in you will find you have a almost no appetite at first. Then as you heal your appetite improves but if you use the liquids they tell you to and keep drinking lots you won't feel much hunger. I experience a little especially when I forget to drink lots between meals.

I am also a diabetic and worried so much about my sugars bottoming out because they always did before but I am at 17 days and I haven't had a low blood sugar yet. Of course this is because I was able to stop using insulin right away. I was up to 100 units of Levemir a day but after surgery I wasn't eating just drinking sugar free liquids so I didn't need the insulin. And after about a week I was off the oral medication too. You just have to check your blood sugars religiously and work closely with your endocronologist so you can stay in your target range. Right now my averagae blood sugar is 100. I don't know what will happen once I start eating realy food but hopefullly I will get a fill next week so I hope not to be eating much.

I hope the band helps your diabetes as much as it has helped mine. Good luck!

i only had to do liquids for 2 weeks post op. and usually they fix the hiatal hernia during surgery. if you think about it being just on liquids your sugar shouldnt go very high since your drinking sugar free products. for two weeks. If you like hot tea or ice tea just make sure its Decaf tea and you use sugar substitutes like splenda or equal. and yes take your sugar religiously so you knwo where its at. you will do great . and you will love the band i know i do

I am six months out......insulin dependent type 2 diabetic plus pills. So tell me all about sugar levels bottoming out. The first week after banding, I was allowed clear broth and diluted fruit juices. The fruit juices helped keep the sugar levels stable. The last two weeks of liquids, liquid yougurt and Protein Drinks were added. Sugar levels never bottomed out. TODAY, my insulin levels have gone from a sliding scale at meals (no more), went from 88cc of Landis daily to 33cc. One pill, discontinued. Still on metformine but only have to check sugar levels once a week now. Totally in control now from out of control.

There are many liquids that are appropriate for a diabetic. Glucerna has a whole line of products... but your Dr. or his/her nutritionist will advise the best ones for you to have that will keep your blood sugars level.

Many diabetes have the surgery because they are diabetic, so you won't be the first one.

My Dr. repaired my hernia at the time of the surgery. Ask your Dr. about this.