Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello - I'm new.

My name is Helen, I'm 60 years young and was banded 3 weeks ago having spent the last 50 years trying to lose weight myself, I live near Newcastle and was banded in Leeds Nuffield by Professor McMahon via The Hospital Group, apart from the day of my op and the following day I have been almost pain free and enjoyed every step of my journey, in 3 short weeks I have lost an amazing 20lbs - I'm elated !!!

Hi purple hope you are ok, you sound great just after your op hope all is well with the diet, may i ask if you have to do a lot of exercise, because you are a bit lder than most on here. and they say exercise is the key? but we all carn't just jump on the treadmill etc so i woundered what else we could do to aid the weight coming off without keeling over lol ha ha i have bad arthritis all over my body and i am in lot of pain but i know the op will help so my op is for health reasons and learn to eat small and sensible meals, also you mentioned you live up north, but had op done at leeds, i live at Morecambe having my at manchester spire hospital but i need to find a fill docter nearer to me you don't happen to know anyone local to me, do you? i am very nervous but can't wait to get on with my new life. kind regards li33y

I`m 64 and got banded last september at the Abbey Sefton in Liverpool and I live near Wigan. I am still waiting for my 1st fill after all this time but go on Tuesday for a barium xray and fill. I go every week day to the gym for the treadmill and bike and cross trainer and love it. I am losing weight by sheer will power and can`t wait for restriction to lose weight quicker.

For the first four weeks after surgery I was advised gentle exercise ie walking and after that I can return to my Palates class as anything connected with weights and stretching should be avoided in the early days, unfortunately the weather's been horrendous since my op so consequently I've done very little walking as there's no pleasure walking in a blizzard or in the rain so to answer your question li33y, no I haven't but I intend to, I don't like the gym but I quite enjoy walking once the weather improves.

Christine, I know how you feel, in the beginning my appetite was very poor but as I recover it increases on a daily basis, my appointment with the dieticain to determine my first fill isn't until 20th Feb, I hope my willpower holds out that long !!!!

hello purple poppy

you have found anotherone of my favourite sites its

jam packed with information l have in fact found more help here ,

wendy [wonderpet]

Hiya Wendy, what a small world this is, I'm quite new on this site but it's interesting, how you doing ? my weight loss has slowed right down since I went on to soft foods infact I haven't lost anything so I'm making a big pan of vegetable Soup as we speak to see if that'll shift it !!! is it ok to do that when you're on soft foods ?

hi

hello purplepoppy we were allowed mush on day three l enjoyed birdseye shepards pies veg mashed wiyh gravey also weightatches meals mashed mash pots with cheese mixed in your swelling will be going down l am stuggling at the moment things are real tight l have lost 3.5lbs since last friday l am on liquids when l have eaten an things have been stuck it has made me sick l then seem more swollen does any one know if that is what happens l dont want to get a unfill as l lose restiction very soon 1.5lbs to go then l have lost my 2nd stone

wendy

x

Sorry I can't help you Wendy as I haven't had a fill yet so wouldn't know what to advise, my appointment with the dietician's 20th Feb but I'm struggling already to try to maintain what I've lost so far, since I went on to soft foods my appetite's increasing and I haven't lost anymore weight, infact I'm struggling not to gain. :) !!!!

when I went for my first fill under Xray this week it was discovered the port is back to front and means another op to correct it. I am so depressed and to make matters worse I was told this can only be done if the PCT fund it. What happens if they don`t am I stuck with a useless band and gone through surgery for nothing.

Christine, Try not to worry as surely they can't ignore the fact they've been negligent and expect you to suffer the consequences, who are the PCT? and were you funded for this op or did you go private.

When I needed my gall bladder out I was offered the band as it was supposed to be a simple procedure at the same time. I was funded by the NHS. Unfortunately my gall bladder was infected and the band had to be fitted in a 2nd op one month later. From me having the op a different company now do it and somehow I have been neglected during the changeover. I should have had my 1st fill in October and it was December after a lot of phoning from me they tried to do the fill and only this week I have been told the port is back to front.

I'm assuming your GP is aware of this, if he's unable to help the NHS have a complaints procedure which your local Citizens Advice will help you with -good luck.