Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing on the 'weigh' down

AKA: 'How much new stuff am I going to have to buy?'

I was approved for surgery last week although I probably won't be having it until summer. I'm already starting to do a few things I know I will need to do once banded (giving up sodas, etc) but the clothing issue has stuck in my brain.

Its now confession time: I'm a clothes person. I love having a closet full of shirts, dresses, skirts & all that jazz. I enjoy shopping & buying new stuff (although I am a bargain shopper so $15-$25 can go really far with me!). However, I really don't have a ton of money so the thought of having to replace just about everything I own & buying stuff for the in-between times makes me a little nervous.

So, I'm curious how everyone has handled the clothes thing. Did you alter stuff for awhile in-between buying new? Did you shop thrift stores & such for stuff to help you get buy between weight losses? Was there a point where you just couldn't alter stuff anymore & had to chuck it? (Like you wore a size 22 & after you got down to a size 16 you couldn't alter it anymore.)

All feedback is welcome!

Altering clothes is expensive and unless the item is truly a favorite I wouldn't think it's worth the expense.

I buy $15 jeans at Steve & Barry's. I only have 3 that fit me well at any one time. Yes I would like more expensive clothing but this is temporary so I can't justify the expense when they are going to be too big in 2 months.

Shirts are easier for me because I can stay in them awhile. I do sew some. However, I do NOT like sewing on clothes but I can nip in the sides a bit to make something last a little longer.

I definitely look at what's on sale!! Right now is fabulous because all of the winter stuff is on sale. And, while losing weight I'm absolutely freezing!!! I'll be able to wear this stuff well into spring so I buy some in the next smaller size too.

I can't stand looking baggy and sloppy so once I go down in a size I won't wear the bigger ones anymore.

I am grateful that my company has a very relaxed dress code. I could wear sweats to work and noone would mind - which I have done several years ago. I can wear shorts, capris, jeans - whatever :biggrin:

My church is casual as well so I don't have to get dressy clothes.

A lot of us had various clothing sizes in our closets so we got to go "shopping" in our closets!! I didn't though - I had moved last year and just cut ties with all the old items that didn't fit any longer.

My mother had plenty of various sizes so I got some 12's from her. My sister only had 1 pair of 10's so I got them from her (she's an 8). I'm about ready for the 10's so I'm going to have to go shopping again :eek:

Happy shopping!

wombat

:redface:I'm still wearing my old clothes (I don't mind wearin em a little baggy)....but I've been to thrift stores. Sister (who had gastric bypass & is shrinking fast) will give me some of hers. I think thrift stores would be fun....you can find all kinda stuff there. :biggrin: :eek:

Hi

this is one area i miscalculated so it's good you are getting input from various people.

in the past i never lost weight like i have in the past 10 months. so when i went from 24/22 to 18...i went crazy buying expensive jeans, dresses etc. thinking i wouldnt lose more weight "in the near future".

i was in 18 for a short time. i did the same thing in size 16 which i barely wore.

i am in size 10/12 for awhile and want to end in size 10.

so St mary's clothing donation received a "motherlode" this year.

if i had to do it over...i would order cheaper clothes and much less. the good news is...my top hasnt changed much...so those clothes are still good. i lost most of my weight in my belly and bottom

good luck

Altering clothes is expensive and unless the item is truly a favorite I wouldn't think it's worth the expense.

Happy shopping!

wombat

When I say 'alter' I mean putting darts in the waist or something simple like that. I can't imagine doing big alterations on any piece I own except a leather jacket that's fairly new & a true favorite.

I do have some smaller sizes in bags under my bed so I have some to get me through a few months or more if I stick some darts in the back.

I plan on just buying a couple pair of jeans at Target or WM in each size until I get down to my forever size, then it's on!

I truly can't wait till goal - and then I am going to become a shopping nightmare to my DH!!!!!!! :biggrin:

I have gone to a thrift shop and gotten a couple of shirts. I'm really hard to fit since I'm an apple shape and short. I can't buy pants/jeans w/o trying them on.

There have been people on here that have swapped clothes. I keep a pile ready for goodwill at all times.

wombat

I was at a size 26 in November of 2006 and lost about 20 on my own, I got banded in November of 2007 and have lost about another 30, and have gone down to about a loose 22. I went through my clothes and am able to wear the ones I wore on the way up the scale. I am going to try to do this for as long as possible because they are good quality clothes. I have supplemented with a few new shirts. The real bumper is my shoes. About six months ago I decided I had hit a point in my life/career where I could pamper my feet a bit with new shoes. They are getting to big now....

I can't wait until I hit the size 20's again....

Good luck...

I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't need work clothing...but thus far I've only bought three pairs of jeans (24, 22 and 18) and 7-8 shirts. I did need to spend some money on underwear and bras though as mine were literally falling off of me.

I was in a 26-28...and I wore those shirts until I was a true 18 on top...they were then too large in the chest and felt indecent (I like v necks)...

I cannot stand to have pants that don't fit me...so that's where I have to buy expensive.

LB has the perfectly priced shirts..$14.99 for a long sleeve t...not work appropraite, but cheap enough to last through a size.

Rain

About once a month I go shopping in my closet, pull out everything that can go to Goodwill, and try on the stuff I haven't worn for a while . . . a LONG while. This morning I came out in my wedding dress--that shocked my husband!

GOOD IDEA ABOUT THE WEDDING DRESS!!! i'm going to have to try mine on, haven't worn it in 9yrs since i got married! i'm thinking that it actually might be too big since i weighed 236 the day i got married and am now at 221! but maybe i'll have it altered and retake pix for our 10th wedding anniversary! that'd be fun!

I SHOP, at the Family Thrift Store here in the Houston/North Shore, TEXAS area alot. i find GREAT deals. also, i give my bigger clothes to my friends that can fit and actually want them and i donate the rest.

i've had several friends that have had WLS and have given me some of their hand me downs, but so far i'm not small enough to fit in them, so i have them stored away for now.

THE THRIFT STORES, GOODWILL, ETC is going to be your absolute BEST BET! but, i don't chinch on the undergarments! i go all out for the panties and bras....bc i just cannot seem to bring myself to buy a USED bra and especially someones USED panties - GROSS!.....i don't care if they are clean, there is a reason those people got rid of them...and it was more then likely bc they were USED! as in, over worn, or stretched out bras, elastic, etc. just grosses me out. lol...

good luck and happy shopping!

xoxo, christie

but, i don't chinch on the undergarments! i go all out for the panties and bras....bc i just cannot seem to bring myself to buy a USED bra and especially someones USED panties - GROSS!.....i don't care if they are clean, there is a reason those people got rid of them...and it was more then likely bc they were USED! as in, over worn, or stretched out bras, elastic, etc. just grosses me out. lol...

good luck and happy shopping!

xoxo, christie

:eek: I didn't know that anybody SOLD used undergarments! Gross. I didn't even think that was legal.

I'm shopping in my closet a bit, but I mostly just have stuck with one pair of jeans once I got heavy because I hated trying that stuff on. I'm saving $40 per pay period (equal to or even a bit less than what I used to spend on JUNK food) and putting it in savings....when I get down to goal, it's time to go on a shopping spree. :biggrin: In the meantime, I'll buy one size pair of jeans at a time and they are Walmart jeans. As for my work pants, I bought a new pair when I went from 42 to 36 and I'm going to try and hold off with these pants until I get to goal since I'm almost halfway there. They'll be pretty bulky once I get down to size. My uniform shirts are provided.

My theory was basically that I didn't want to buy cute clothes when I got heavy because I didn't want yet one more excuse to stay big.

I just bought one pair of casual pants and I can wear them to work when there is no workshops on. I have one pair of black dress pants and a few tops. I just bought a couple of new bras (had to,no choice). I just don't have anything else to wear. But I do award myself new boots, shoes, purses etc. I won't shrink out of them. ONe thing I've noticed is that I can wear high heels again, its wonderful. No more granny shoes. Helps me to feel sexier- even though I have a way to go yet.

Cowgrrl:

I buy my clothes at thrift shops. I've gone from 26/28 now to 18, and XL for tops. Last week I got two bags of clothes for only $30. The pants were only $2.99, and some of the tops were $1.99. I have some stuff in my hope chest that is down to a size 14. I think that should get me through the summer.

I don't skimp on bras, panties, socks, or sneakers.

I am walking alot, so the footwear is very important. I love my cushiony socks. They cost about $5 per pair, but they're so comfortable. I usually wear a thin, tight pair of socks, with my cushiony socks over them. I used to have alot of foot pain - who wouldn't at 324 pounds! My piggies are very happy at 221.

We just got a brand new salvation army store last year. I go there a couple of times a month and look to see what bargains are there.

End of season clearance sale shopping is great too. Do you have a Kohl's near you? They have some nice stuff in their clearance racks now. You could plan to buy the size you will be at goal from the clearance racks and put them away in your "can't wait to wear" pile in your closet.

You'll notice a savings from not eating out often, and also your weekly grocery bill should be going down too. I know mine has.

Best wishes for your banding.

Sue