Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thinking about having surgery

I have been considering having lapbad done. I am just trying to decide if the pros out weighs the cons. I thought this was a good place to get some advice. My parents are completly against. My husband says whatever makes me happy. I have been on many diets actually have loss weight. Never have been able to keep it off. I do have an appointment for a consult in March. If anyone has advice please let me know.

Terri

Terri,

I can only answer for myself, but I love my band...best thing I ever did...I was banded in 4/07 and I have lost 72 lbs...you have to work with your band, but it is so worth it...I would do it all over again....good luck with your decision...I wish you all the best....

Hi Terri:

I have not yet been banded either. I am going through the process. It is my hope that I can get it done in April. I would suggest you continue to read the board and get other information.

I have a similar problem in that I can lose weight, but cannot keep it off. I am making other changes along with getting banded which include regular exercise and figuring out why I overeat in the first place. It has been a long journey for me. Keep searching and you will find your answer.

Oh, any by the way, there will be people who think that you don't need the band. I say make your own choice.

hi terri,

welcome aboard! well, i'm to be banded in may. i cannot wait to begin a new life. i had never been able to keep my weight off, but now due to health reasons, i'm ready to make some serious changes and i already started making some. ;)

just know that you will have to do research before you come to a decision. you might upset some people along the way, but your husband is right: its what makes you happy. and remember, the lap band is a tool; so you have the power to make it work to its full potential.

if you have any questions, you're at the right place!

best of luck to you...

Hi Terri,

your story is the same as countless others, lost stacks of weight over a life time, then put it all back on plus some! Research is only just starting to understand why some people simply cannot keep the weight off. My personal brick wall is 7 kilo (14 pound). I lost that much then all hell seems to break loose. I just can't seem to lose under that. Of course, when I do lose it, I put more on.

The fact you can lose weight is good. The lapband doesn't make you lose weight. It restricts your stomach so you naturally feel fuller sooner for longer, but that's all. There are ways to cheat it if you really want to. Instead, you have to still do the work. All the band does is support you in your efforts, so if you put in the hard work, the band stops you from putting it back on.

Its meant to be seen as permanent but can be taken out for whatever reason and there's minimal damage to the body & none to the stomach at all. The fills are also adjustable, so if too much goes in, you aren't stuck with it permanently. Also, if you get pregnant or really sick, some can be taken out for that period of time.

My family are ok with the idea, but my partner is against it. Doesn't matter. He will support me, but he's not the one that has to live in this body, with the symptoms I'm starting to have. Tell your parents you love them and know they love you, but its your body and your life.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what is right for you. Best of luck in coming to that decision.