Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It Harder To Lose With A Low Bmi?

I would say yes, in general. The less you have to lose the harder it is to lose. Each pound packs a bigger punch. If you had 100 pounds to lose 10 pounds is easy. If you have 20 pounds to lose those 10 are going to require a great deal of effort (IMO).

wombat

That's one reason why I prefer to look at my weight loss as the percentage of my excess weight, instead of simply the number of pounds lost. Otherwise, it's very easy to become discouraged when you're surrounded by people who've lost two or three times as much as you have, in the same amount of time as you. When you look at it as a percentage, everyone starts out with 100% excess weight, and that evens things out. If you start out with 80 pounds to lose, and you've lost 35 pounds, you've still lost a greater percentage of your excess weight than a person who started with 200 pounds to lose and has lost 80.

Hi. I'm waiting for approval & date, but was wondering......with a low-ish BMI is there less chance of having the loose, saggy skin? Whats been your experience?

Barb

I dont think its harder personally, I've just gotten back from my first checkup with my doc in 9 months and I've lost 115% of my excess weight!

I lost slowly in comparison to some, sure, but I lost steadily for the first year and then it took me a year to lose another 10kg. But those 10kg made MORE difference than the first 30 did, so it didnt feel slow.

I found it a big advantage because, although I dont in any way mean this in a judgemental or disapproving or insulting way, I really feel lucky that I wasnt so far gone. I remembered what being normal felt like, my eating hadnt fallen so far off track that I had no idea what was reasonable and I was still fit and could start really effective exercise virtually straight away. I had the mobility and agility to do it.

And I've ended up with very very little loose skin, in fact what I do have could simply be a result of my age (40).

Another reason that can make it harder to lose is all the years of yo yo

dieting. My doctor did a resting metabolic test on me to see why I wasn't losing. It showed that I have a very slow metabolism. He said that was from going on and off diets all my life.

The only thing that speeds up your metabolism is building muscle. I have found that if I don't exercise, I don't lose. I have to do cardio plus strength training and then I lose. I lose slower than other people, but I am happy that I am no longer gaining and I am on the right track. I haven't weighed 155 in 25 years since I had kids. I never lost the weight I gained having kids.

At least with the band, there is hope! I don't say "I'll never be able to lose weight" like I said before I got banded!

You still doing well thats about half pound a week, think that great.As i have lost 56 lb since being banded on 18th sep 2007, your doing real well.

I agree about using percentages vs pounds lost - I am almost 7 months out and have lost 50% of my excess. Hopefully the next 5 months will get me to 90-100%.

I think having a lower bmi and if you are in your 50's it does make a difference.

Our metabolisms slow down as we get older. I was sometimes amazed at how little I could eat, how much I exercised, and how slowly I lost weight. It wasn't until I had a resting metabolic test taken that I knew

how many calories and how much exercise I needed to continue to lose.

its much harder when you have less to lose and a slow metabolism..

from yo yo dieting. i was banded on feb 28 08.i lost 10lbs and it was hard but im going to keep losing and working out

oh H%*& yes it is harder! I have been beating myself up inside because of slowww weight loss. I will definitely admit, I have not been perfect with my eating, but not ridiculous. It really has to come from within that you must not be hard on yourself. I take it ONE DAY AT A TIME !! That helps me. Some weeks I don't lose weight. I am averaging 5 lbs a month now.

Hang in there and go for a long walk, it clears your head and really makes you feel better! (cheesy, but true)

280/235/180 my starting BMI was 39, now I am 33

I love this post! I have also been wondering what is wrong with me and feeling guilty over EVERYTHING I eat. My husband, one year son and I all split one meal at a restaurant now and I still feel like I ate like a cow. It's taken be eight months to lose 20 lbs. That is so hard when I see so many others dropping weight left and right. I also noticed that if I don't work out, I don't lose. I HAVE to at least walk 25 minutes three times a week in order to lose .5-1 lb.

I haven't had my surgery yet, am scheduled for 11/27 in TJ. I am wondering if I am making a big mistake and I won't lose weight...my BMI is 33 but I have tried everything to lose weight and just keep gaining. I am a young 62 also..........will I be hungry all the time? Can I take my Vitamins? Calcium etc? Thx for your help

I was 53 when I was banded. I was just about at goal within a year. My BMI was under 35 at the time of surgery; the BMI on my ticker was prior to my pre op diet. I am never hungry. I take chewable Vitamins and chewable Calcium. I can't say what your experience will be like, but I can say you shouldn't necessarily trust generalizations about this process.

I DO exercise. I ride my bike 15 miles a day. I worked up to that distance over the course of a year, and miss it if I skip a day. I was a definite couch potato before. Your weight loss will be harder without regular exercise, I can say that.

Liz, I hate to say this, but 25 minutes three times a week is a pretty low exercise level. You might want to see what happens if you step it up a bit. If you are losing weight with that amount, I'm betting you will see some real results when you increase your exercise time. I just checked and walking 25 minutes at a medium pace burns a paltry 125 calories. Since a pound of fat consists of 3600 calories, you would need to increase that by quite a bit before you will see a real weight loss resulting from exercise.

Edited by snowbird