Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! New problems with throwing up

Hi all,

I was banded on December 6, 2007 and had my first fill on January 7th. No problems. I had my second fill on January 25th and was fine at first. I did 24 hours of liquids and was able to eat fine on Saturday. I had sushi for lunch and went out for a really nice fish dinner that evening. Although I filled up really quickly (amazing!) I was able to eat and everything went down as long as I ate slowly and chewed well.

By Sunday I was feeling really tight but was able to keep food down. On Monday I was really tight, ate and got stuck. I PB'd and it came up. I was really sore after that (throat) and have had trouble eating since.

Yesterday and today I have been throwing up pretty much all solids (I even tried a glass of wine to relax me).

Is this normal? Do you think I am just swollen from the fill and am taking a long time to heal or do you think I did something when I PB'd earlier in the week.

I am terrified to have a slip. Please help & sorry for the long windedness.

Sometimes you can have a delayed response to the fill. Have you called your doctor? He may want to do a small unfill in order to help you keep your food down. I would also go back to liquids right now in order to rest your pouch and stoma.

If you are just sliming... no worries. It takes time to figure out what you can tolerate and what you can't. If you vomit, like when you have the flu or something...w/ convulsions and all....that's NOT good.

I was told that if you PB you should do liquids and mushies for atleast a day or two to let you stoma time to settle and ease itself.

Hi guy's,

Thank you for your quick response. It's amazing how accurate the info you get from other bandsers is. :smile:

I spoke to the clinic this morning and they confirmed your advice. They said I was probably swollen from getting stuck earlier in the week. They suggested a 24 to 48 hours of liquids followed by carefully adding back solids. Protein shakes are O.K. which should keep me full and nourished. If that does not work they suggested a small defill.

They said after throwing up I should go to fluids for one to two days to rest the stoma and esphogus. Funny how I have read that here but didn't listen. Silly me.

BTW what is the difference between PBing and sliming?

Thanks again.

Yeap, it's amazing the things we learn from ours and other people's experience.

That's it, just give your stomach and aesophagus some rest for a couple of days, and the best thing for that is to stay on liquid+mushies, don't eat solid food for 48hrs. And most of all, don't drink wine when you have a PB episode or throw up, or slime - the wine (or any other alcohol beverage) will only irritate your stomach even more.

niki

PBing is when the food comes back up, sliming is when you're stuck and your body creates extra saliva to try and help it go down, and that comes up (but not the food).

I have a question...what is considered "throwing up" post banding.

A few times when food has gotten stuck, I thought what I did was PB'd but it felt more like I wretched up the food. Nothing came up on its own. It was the only way to stop the pain.

Hi, this is my first posting. I had my lap band on April 11, 2007. I had several fills and then started having problems with more frequent vomiting. I am not just talking slime, but the real thing. I was at 2 CC's full so they didn't want to fill me again. However, I wasn't losing much weight over a three month period and was getting very frustrated. I went in and their was a new PA working who also had the band. I discussed my history and she filled me a whole CC, up to 3. The problem has went away now and I am rarely having any of the symptoms. I get full quicker and it seems that things don't get stuck as much. Are you still losing? It is easy to think that the band is too tight, but in my case it was the opposite. I think that everyone has to experiment a little and see what is right for them. Right after the adjustment I lost 14 more lbs.

To quote stephsanders68

"Are you still losing? It is easy to think that the band is too tight, but in my case it was the opposite. I think that everyone has to experiment a little and see what is right for them. Right after the adjustment I lost 14 more lbs. "

I am still loosing although I am loosing slowly (normal for me). My clinic does 3 fills on all new bandsters 2 weeks apart. that was fill 2 and I am scheduled to have my third fill in one more week. After that they leave it up to your discretion as to when you have a fill. I will keep it in mind though.

Once again thanks to all for your help. I have been on liquids all day and am already feeling a little better. I think I will stay on liquids at least one more day and then try mushies.

I guess every physician handles the fills differently. My band can be filled to a maximum of 4 CC. I am currently at 3 CC's. I have had at least 6 fills to get to that point. My weight has been the same for at least two weeks. I am going in to see the Dr. again on the 12th. I would like to try one more fill and see if I can still get food and Water down. I believe that I am at almost full capacity and I am not sure if I can go to the full 4 CC's. I am like you in that I lose very slowly and my body is very resistant. At my clinic you can get as many adjustments as you like in the first year at no additional cost. After that you pay a flat rate for 3 months worth of adjustments. My one year will be up April 11th so I want to try and get to the right place by then. They tell us that if you are getting hungry between meals than you are probably still in need of additional fills. Let that be your guide. Good luck with everything.

I'm newly banded, and still on liquids. If you are going to slime or throw up, how long after you eat does it occur? I'd hate to be in a restaurant and, well, you know. YUCK! So, if you're going to have a reaction, how long does it take?

I'm newly banded, and still on liquids. If you are going to slime or throw up, how long after you eat does it occur? I'd hate to be in a restaurant and, well, you know. YUCK! So, if you're going to have a reaction, how long does it take?

In my experience (and everyone is different), it usually takes an hour or two before I'll actually throw up. The bummer is, I feel like absolute dog doo for the entire time and the barfing usually comes as a relief. The quickest I ever went from stuck to barf was way back with my second fill after I ate some rice. That was about 10 minutes total. Never. Again. I will add that I've never actually thrown up at a restaurant, but I have taken a huge pile of napkins in the car with me and slimed into them the whole way home. Sorry if that was TMI!

the first thing you should do is go back on liquids, then mushies, then solids. That will be the tell tail on whether or not you are too tight. You probably are swollen from the PBing so I would take it easy the next few days. And yes, sometimes fills do take a few days to kick in. Good luck.