Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize Band

Hello All, I had my surgery Jan 3rd. The dr. told me he was putting in a Realize band, not a lapband. I was kind of taken by surprise since I usually like to research things beforehand. Does anyone else have a Realize band? They have a nice website. Dr. Schram told me it was a better band and would keep me fuller for longer periods of time. So far, I hardly ever feel hungry and I haven't even had a fill yet.

I have the Realize band. I had my second fill today. I have 6ccs. Today was the first day I have felt any restriction. I also registered on the website. It is an awesome site to track your progress.

I have the realize band. was put in 12/28 got first fill last week (5cc). I think you may just be confused by the terminology. Lap--means it is applied by laporoscopy--band-. each company that makes it gives theirs a different name. Realize is J & J's newest band that just got US approval a few months ago--but has been used in other contries for quite a while under the name of the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band. The newest version does have a low profile port

I don't get my fill until Feb 13th. Did you have to go on liquids after the fill? I wonder if different doctors put the band in different (higher or lower) areas of the stomach. Maybe that's why I feel full all the time. I hope that doesn't mean that when I get the fill I won't be able to eat anything.

J-

I was pretty happy about the low profile port. Where is your port? Mind is a couple inches above the bottom of my ribcage in the soft area of my abdomine. About half way between my belly button and the bottom of my breasts. I never hurts, thank goodness, because I have read so much about port site pain.

Hey Woodsy! I also got banded by Dr. Schram the day after you did...Jan. 4th. I don't get my first fill until Feb. 18th. UGH. I also got the Realize because that's all he does...he doesn't do any other bands anymore.

I'm HUNGRY. I really think I'm gonna call Monday and see if I can get in earlier.

I like the Realize band website, but there are many problems with it. They only have certain foods listed in their food bank, and if your exact food is not listed in there, you have to fish around and search forever to find something similar?!? That's not very conducive to getting accurate information in the system for each one of us.

My friend Lisa was also banded by Schram on 11/20...she's had one fill and he only put 2.5 cc in her. She feels absolutely NO restriction. She's upset. She hasn't lost anymore weight since she was 2 weeks out.

I hope he listens to me when I tell him I need a very aggressive fill. This is so frustrating. I love Dr. Schram and I love the facility, but this band is making me mad.

I have some port site pain, but it's only when I bend over. The general post-surgical soreness is gone.

Oh...and I can feel my port. Low profile or not...I can definitely feel it when I lay on my back or if I press firmly on my port site.

MamaJava, I go in for my second fill on April 9th. My first fill was 2.5cc, but before I left the office, he took 1cc out because I felt nausiated. He gave me some Water to drink and he could hear gurgling coming from my throat. He said thats not supposed to happen. So, now what's gonna happen on Wednesday? Will my body be able to tolerate more in the band or is this it? I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Have little or no restriction.

My port, it never hurts and I can't feel it when I lay on my tummy. I am pretty happy about that. My incision is looking better, but I had bruising in one area and it it still there. My surgery was Jan 3, 2008. You would think it would be gone by now.

I have only lost 13 pounds since surgery. I don't feel like I overeat but I don't exercise like I probably should. I am only getting to the gym 2 days a week. I am hoping that since summer is coming I can get out and about more.

How is everything going? Do you still feel restriction? Are you happy with where you are right now?

Oh yes, the Realize site should look at the Weight Watchers site. Their site is fantastic and has almost any food you can imagine. I hate that I have to settle for a similar food and somehow make it work. Doesn't make sense that they would put so little effort into a support site when this is such a hot industry???

Hey fellow Realizers,

I actually emailed some feedback to the Realize site this week about the amount of foods and the inability to place "custom foods" in your food diary. They said they were aware and were working on it, so take that for what its worth.

I've had no problems with the band, my band date was Jan 7, 2008...Down a little over 30 lbs...

I woke up from surgery hungry :Dancing_wub:. I've had 3 fills, pretty happy with my restriction now... Only time will tell

That's great news. I didn't even think about contacting them. That is great news about your band working for you. I am sure mine will work once I get it to the right fill level. So what are you eating and how much are you exercising? How much do you want to lose?

My super super goal is 160 lbs. My yay goal would be under 200. I try to follow the rules for Breakfast I will have greek yogurt, oatmeal or a Protein shake. For lunch I will have a sleeve of tuna or a can of chicken (thats the usual) I like to have an apple with my tuna or mandarin oranges, something sweet. For dinner I usually have 4 oz Protein (fish or chicken usually) and some veggies. I snack on cheese sticks (about 80-90 calories each) or Quaker mini drizzle cakes (i'm addicted to those).

I shoot for exercising 4 times a week for a duration of 45 minutes to an hour. For exercise I mix it up between a Bosu Ball and the treadmill (alternate walking and running).

Hi, Just got my 2nd fill today, now I have 4cc in my 9cc band. I have another appt in 3 weeks. They told me that usually 6-7cc works for everyone.

My goal is to lose about 115 pounds, that would put me at a good weight ( I think). I will see what I feel like when I get there. I was down 2 more pounds today, YAH!

How is everything going? I have my 3rd fill next week. I have a hard time with meat, I have to cut it up so that it is about the size of a piece of corn or I choke on it. I am feeling fat today, those days suck. Anyway, I am worried what it is going to feel like after this next fill. Will I have PB's? will I know when to stop? Right now, when I first start eating, I feel it and I have to slow down. If I eat meat first,then I can only have about 3 bites of food before i feel like my chest is going to explode. But, if I eat veggies first, it seems easier. Have you found that to be true?

You really should try to load your pouch with Protein first. Make sure you chew, chew, chew. My doc recommends filling the pouch with 1/2 protein, then veggies. If you eat veggies first you might get hungrier quicker. Also make sure that you aren't drinking with your meals, that makes a big difference. It really doesn't matter much with me now, if I drink while eating I will PB.