Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My update

Hi all

I have been waiting over a month to get to my appointments and am only half way there! I saw the pysician on the team on Tuesday and was filled with much joy! Due to my good health etc. I will be cleared for surgery if the surgeon agrees!

I am to see the surgeon and dietician tomorrow and I hope to convince the surgeon to give me a date then and there. The nurse told me on Tuesday that the earliest appointment at this stage for the surgery is early May :smile: :cool: :eek:! I nearly flipped out! May, I can't wait that long. :tongue: I asked about cancellations and if the date could be brought forward, so they will keep that in mind. I don't hold out any hope for an earlier date though. Regardless, it will be my 40th birthday present to myself. :wink2:

The joy was also that the cost of everything (surgery, fills, subsequent appointments etc) was $3500 upfront.:tt1: This was good news as I was expecting much more.

The other info I got was:

- 10 day strict Optifast diet before surgery

- 28 days mushie stage after surgery

- the surgeon puts 3 stitches in a flap of stomach near the band which will keep the band in place to alleviate any slippage (is this normal anyone?)

- Before surgery they will put my legs in pressure bandages to reduce the incidence of DVT (again is this normal anyone?)

- Hospital stay one night with the day after surgery having a swallow test and xray to see if the band has been positioned correctly and that there's no leakages and there's no restriction

- The surgeon does three surgeries every Monday fortnight (darn it!) Then there's Easter and Labour day inbetween so an earlier appointment is looking grim!

That's all I can remember from the first of my three visits. This week is odd as I had my two girls return to school yesterday, then my son starting prep today, with my appointments either side of those days. This week has been one roller coaster of emotions and I will be happy to see the end of it!

Hugs to you all

Kylie

Melb

Hi again all.

I have a surgery date of 7 April (which is my dad's birthday - the first one since he passed away last year - ironic in ways!) which is a month before I expected but still a little later than I wanted (hahaha). I am on the waiting list just in case of a cancellation, but the only date that it could occur is 25 Feb, in which case I would need to know before 15 Feb to do the 10 days Optifast diet. So I will know for sure in about 2 weeks time!

Anyway, I am excited and nervous which is normal. I spoke with both the surgeon and the dietician today and I now know all I need to up to 6 weeks after the surgery when I go back to see the dietician!

I hope to lose 30kg and get down to 70kg but my surgeon suspects I will probably feel sick at this weight. He sees me losing at least 20kg, but he did say that he can see me doing better than that. He couldn't tell me why but he suspects because I play sport and excercise that I will do pretty well.

I am pumped. I just can't wait.

Hi again all.

I have a surgery date of 7 April (which is my dad's birthday - the first one since he passed away last year - ironic in ways!) which is a month before I expected but still a little later than I wanted (hahaha). I am on the waiting list just in case of a cancellation, but the only date that it could occur is 25 Feb, in which case I would need to know before 15 Feb to do the 10 days Optifast diet. So I will know for sure in about 2 weeks time! (He only operates every second monday and the two monday's in March are both public holidays for Labour day and Easter Monday!).

Anyway, I am excited and nervous which is normal. I spoke with both the surgeon and the dietician today and I now know all I need to up to 6 weeks after the surgery when I go back to see the dietician!

I hope to lose 30kg and get down to 70kg but my surgeon suspects I will probably feel sick at that weight. He sees me losing at least 20kg, but he did say that he can see me doing better than that. He couldn't tell me why but he suspects because I play sport and excercise that I will do pretty well.

I am pumped. I just can't wait.

That's terrific news for you Kylie!

I remember feeling the same way you are now, both nervous and excited. The things that you mentioned in your first post are all normal. I found the doctors were particularly concerned about DVT while in hospital, hence the stockings. I also had a shot of heparin (blood thinners) and wore balloon things on my legs that blew up every 30 seconds or so to keep the blood flowing. I'm happy to report I had no problems.

The stitches are necessary to keep the band in place. That's because the stomach is very slippery and the surgeon doesn't want the band moving. I'm surprised it's only three stitches. That's something I didn't ask, but I assumed there would be at least 6 and maybe as many as ten.

The barium swallow after surgery is also normal. Mind you, my doctor doesn't do that procedure anymore since he is so experienced in this operation.

Good luck on your journey Kylie. I'll keep my fingers crossed that an earlier appointment becomes available for you.

Congrats on getting the date, Kylie. Look on the bright side, at least you will be able to enjoy easter! lol I know it seems a fair way away, but its already Feb. The time will just fly!

Michelle

Thanks Mrs M and Sunwyse. I just can't wait it is all very exciting stuff. I am watching what I eat now and conciously chewing as much as I can when I remember. I think that will be the hardest part, altering our chewing habits that we have had for so long. I am scared that I will hurt myself!

As for it being Feb already - I know! Where did the last few months go? We have had a lot going on already in the last few months. We signed for an upper storey extension to our house, my work moved, the kids were on holidays, we went on holidays for the first time in over 18 months, and today I got work I got a promotion at work. I will be starting my new job shortly. I just want to stay busy so that the time does fly by!

Just before Christmas I finally made the decision to go ahead with being banded. The 2 weeks the Dr's were on holidays seemed like forever. Now all of a sudden I've only got 4 weeks till my op date.

It's goes so quick. It'll be here before you know it.

My nurse called last night. Because she knew how keen I was to have the surgery ASAP, she has offered me 22 Feb (instead of 7 April!) at Essendon Private. Of course I jumped at the chance! I live in Eltham and was planning on having the surgery at Warringal Private in Heidelberg, but the extra distance is not a worry in the world!

I start opti on Monday. Wahooooo

congrats im being banded on 18th so I am a few dasy ahead of u all the best. Im getting used to the Optifast - i am sure it wont kill me.

best regards M

Kylie,

that's excellent news. woo hoo baby!!

Just an aside, my sister and her partner live in Greensborough. We go to Melbourne roughly once a year to visit my family. I kinda grew up all over the northern side :thumbup:

Michelle

I am very pleased to report that as of this morning I have lost exactly 5kg! Those 5kg are off forever and I haven't missed them at all yet!

3 more days of Opti and then surgery. Bring it on!:wub:

Hi all

I had my surgery on Friday. I went in very late in the afternoon, about 5pm so I was nil by mouth from 8.30am onwards. It was hard! It all went well. My surgeon repaired a small hiatus hernia in the spot where the stomach meets the aesophogus (sp??) which had to be done before he would put the band in. I have a lovely xray showing my swllow test and the exact positioning of the band and port with it's lovely hooks.

I am still tender and sore and I have found recovery a little difficult. I have had a little shoulder pain and almost like reflux or heartburn pain in the upper chest (I hope that goes). I had sliming for the first two days many times a day especially when I got up to walk. I haven't had it yet today, so hopefully that phase is gone. Last night was the first night I could manage to sleep on my side.

Other than that things are pretty good.

Good luck for those having their surgery this week.

congrats on ur surgery. i am day 7 post op and drove to my friends house 10 mins away to give her support for her surgery happening this Wednesday.

it was fine, no problem at all -hang in there couple of days and u wll notice u r feeling heaps better

regards

M:thumbup:

Hi all

I am two weeks post op and am doing fantastically well. My scars have healed well and I saw the surgeon's nurse this morning who gave me the go ahead to go straight to mushies. Can't wait. Scrambled eggs for lunch! Yipee

I have lost 9kg so far in the 4 weeks and am very happy with that. I know it will be a constant struggle from here on in but hey this is what I signed up for. I go back in a month for my first fill too.

I found the liquids to be easy. I found a homemade chicken and sweetcorn Soup in Coles that I lived on for dinner in the last week. I also love the Up-and-Go liquid yogurt and the Sustagen easy to digest and it seemed to fill me as well. Of course normal yoghurt and smoothies were a treat.

I already feel so much better than I did a month ago before I started Opti. That first week on it was such a struggle, but from then on it was all downhill and this journey so far has been so rewarding, I am going to make it continue.

I hope those banded around the same time as me are doing just as well.

Hugs

Great news I am also 2 weeks post op and feeling wonderful - u will be fine Im sure.....its upwards and onwards all the way..

regards M:biggrin2: