Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bad test results back today.....

I am finally at the end of this long process and went on monday to get my physical done...and of course had to get the dreaded pap....well my dr. called me today and told me that my pap came back abnormal....he said i have what is called severe displasia...and scheduled me for a biopsy tomorrow at 8:30 am...he told me that I have levels that are higer than he has seen....:tt1:

I was wondering does anyone know first of all what that all means and if it means that I have cervical cancer or something else does that boot me off the lap band Quest? I know I should only really worry about my test results but I am also terrified that I will not be able to get my lap band....please help me with any info. you have...no matter if it means no lap band for me...I really want to know what to expect.

Please reply....thank you so much in advance:crying:

AWW I am so sorry to hear this for you ... when was the last time you had been to the GYN ... I found some info online you might wanna read it

Cervical Dysplasia - womenshealthchannel

it's has to be something they can do... I hope all goes well for you honey bunches of oats! I pray, hope, and wish the best for you! Does the dr think it may be weight related!

Thank you so much for the site...I just visited it and read the whole thing...and I have the severe displasia...that kind of poped my bubble today....I planned on asking if weight was or could be a factor in this....I sure hope I am able to get my lap band yet....

now don't yell....the last pap i had was.........11 years ago....I never even gave it a second thought....well i am now

I am finally at the end of this long process and went on monday to get my physical done...and of course had to get the dreaded pap....well my dr. called me today and told me that my pap came back abnormal....he said i have what is called severe displasia...and scheduled me for a biopsy tomorrow at 8:30 am...he told me that I have levels that are higer than he has seen....:tt1:

I am sorry to hear your pap was abnormal. I just went through this for almost 2 years. I too had displasia. This is what MY doc told me (GYN) Displasia is the PRE-cancerous cells meaning that it can turn into cancer later on but it was not cancer and just because you have displasia does not mean that you will get cancer. Displasia is also caused from the HPV virus. I am sure they will be or did check you for that.

I had to have paps every 6 months and when they would come back abnormal i would have to go in and have a calposcopy (sp?) biopsy. This is just a way to be able to see the cells alot better for the doctor. If the displasia was really bad there is a procedure they can do but I can't remember what it is called. It would mean scraping the bad cells off of the cervix. Alot of times with time it will clear itself. Like I said I went in every 6 months and FINALLY after almost 2 years I had a normal pap. Ok the thing with the band. MY surgeon would not dp surgery on me unless or until I had a normal pap. Now this is just my surgeon yours may be different. My surgeons reasoning was because it can be an infection and if I had surgery while I had an active infection it could cause complications as far as healing or infection spreading to the surgery sites. Again this is what MY doctor required but each doc is different.

Try not to worry. Good luck and hope things go well. I hope this helps a little.

I am so sorry to hear this. I think the most important thing is to get healthy first. If it were me, I wouldn't even consider the lapband until I was healthy again. Do you know if you will have to take treatments? What is the next step for you?

I am really sorry this happened to you. You are definitely in my prayers.

((HUGS))

My sister had displasia and had what they call a LEEP procedure where they remove the bad cells with a laser. She has had normal pap smears since then, even through 2 or 3 childbirths. (I can't remember between which kids she had the procedure.) Anyway, I have no idea how this will affect your band surgery. I didn't have to have a pap as part of my pre-op. Of course, I had one less than one year ago, so maybe that's why.

Good luck. I'm sorry for the worry you must be going through. I had my blood and EKG done yesterday, so I'm hoping there's nothing that would cause my surgery not to go through.

Melissa

thanks for the info jackie....i was afraid my lap band would be put on hold...i am still going to seminar and meet doctor...i will ask him then...glad to hear you are doing good...i will know more in 3-5 days

yes they checked me or hpv...no results as of yet....

I am going to seminar on this friday...i will post what i find out then...thanks for all the support....

now comes telling my poor hubby....he is a worry wart anyway....

wish me luck

thanks georgia girl....i know i need to worry about getting healthy....it is just so hard to get this news and know that after 2.5 years of trying that it might get taken away from me again....(sugery)...i am just very upset and don't know what to do next....go cry or get mad!?

skinnyhappymommy....i sure hope everything goes great for you...i know what it is like to have to wait for results.....thanks for the support and info....i will post what i find out from my dr. on friday....the bioposy results will be in 3-5 days....

I used to work in OB-Gyn for 8 1/2 years. Severe dysplasia is something to worry about, however, at least you have found it. Severe dysplasia is not cancer, it is pre cancer. Which means that if left untreated, it would become cancer. A lot of women have dysplasia. The severity depends on when it is caught. Most likely your Dr. will have you in for a colposcopy with biopsies. This means he will use a binocular type instrument to view your cervix, and will use another instrument to snip biopsies. The biopsies will then be sent to the lab for the Pathologist to read. At that point depending on the outcome, your Dr. will either choose to follow you closely with pap smears, schedule you for an in office procedure called a Leep, or worse case you would have to have a hysterectomy. I would say most women have a Leep when they have severe dysplasia. A Leep is when the Dr will use the same instrument that looks like binoculars to see your cervix, but he will use a heated instrument that slices (like a hot knife through butter) and remove the dysplasia and their surrounding areas. These will also be sent for Pathology results to insure that the physician got all of the areas. Then you will have to follow up with pap smears. The Leep is a fairly simple procedure, and it won't be difficult for you to go through it. Esspecially after being banded. (Ha, Ha).

If you do end up with the Leep it is not the end of the world, however, be aware!! If you plan on having any future children, it is very important to tell the physician you had the Leep. Depending on how severe the dysplasia is and how aggressive your Dr. is with it, you may have to have a cervical circloge to insure you don't have the baby prematurally due to a weakend cervix. I really hope this helps. I have seen all of these things a lot, and it truly is a blessing that you have had it found earlier, better than later. Good Luck!!!

thanks icreyno....i really appreciate your info....I am not yet banded...i pray to be but i believe this is going to set me back a ways....i am going in for the biopsy tomorrow am it is in the dr. office...not sure where we go from there....but you can bet i will be full of questions tomorrow...

It is really crazy...i have always been the one that says "aah that won't happen to me" I can honestly tell you I will NEVER say that again

can you tell me what kind of pain if any is associated with the procedure and biopsys? I can handle pain...just that is a delicate area...

ooh done having children...have 2 and then tubal...so no worries there

I used to work in OB-Gyn for 8 1/2 years. Severe dysplasia is something to worry about, however, at least you have found it. Severe dysplasia is not cancer, it is pre cancer. Which means that if left untreated, it would become cancer. A lot of women have dysplasia. The severity depends on when it is caught. Most likely your Dr. will have you in for a colposcopy with biopsies. This means he will use a binocular type instrument to view your cervix, and will use another instrument to snip biopsies. The biopsies will then be sent to the lab for the Pathologist to read. At that point depending on the outcome, your Dr. will either choose to follow you closely with pap smears, schedule you for an in office procedure called a Leep, or worse case you would have to have a hysterectomy. I would say most women have a Leep when they have severe dysplasia. A Leep is when the Dr will use the same instrument that looks like binoculars to see your cervix, but he will use a heated instrument that slices (like a hot knife through butter) and remove the dysplasia and their surrounding areas. These will also be sent for Pathology results to insure that the physician got all of the areas. Then you will have to follow up with pap smears. The Leep is a fairly simple procedure, and it won't be difficult for you to go through it. Esspecially after being banded. (Ha, Ha).

If you do end up with the Leep it is not the end of the world, however, be aware!! If you plan on having any future children, it is very important to tell the physician you had the Leep. Depending on how severe the dysplasia is and how aggressive your Dr. is with it, you may have to have a cervical circloge to insure you don't have the baby prematurally due to a weakend cervix. I really hope this helps. I have seen all of these things a lot, and it truly is a blessing that you have had it found earlier, better than later. Good Luck!!!

bjo:

I know that the colposcapy is a bit uncomfortable, but not too bad. I don't know about the LEEP.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

Sue

Severe Cervical Dysplacia

Severe cervical dysplacia and other vulvar disorders can be treated with cone biopsy. The operation can be made with a knife, cautery, laser, or wire loop. The condition may be treated with a cone biopsy, which is the removal of a cone-shaped piece of the cervix, containing abnormal cells. The symptom of this form of the disease is bleeding during or after intercourse. Severe cervical dysplacia and other vulvar disorders can be treated with cone biopsy.