Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

I'm interested in getting the lap-band done and was referred here to get some information and some support. I had gastric-bypass surgery about 5 years ago when I was 17, but due to complications I have gained all the weight back. I heard that people like myself are prime candidates for this. Has anyone heard this before or has this happened to anyone in here?

Good Luck to everyone on their journey, I hope that mine goes well too!

Hello Everyone!

I'm interested in getting the lap-band done and was referred here to get some information and some support. I had gastric-bypass surgery about 5 years ago when I was 17, but due to complications I have gained all the weight back. I heard that people like myself are prime candidates for this. Has anyone heard this before or has this happened to anyone in here?

Hi Annie,

welcome to the site! there are a lot of wonderful people on here and a lot of great information about situations like yours as well. Sorry you had such a bad time with the gastric bypass... I would advise you just to look around the forum for a while.. and do searches and you will find so much stuff out. I have learned so much from this site, that when I went to talk with my lap band doctor he was shocked I already knew what fleuro was and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein mix.. and stuff like that. I told him it was from this site.

welcome again!

Crystal

Hello Everyone!

Hi Annie

Sorry that you had complications - What were they if I may ask.

I don't know if we have anyone here who had bypass then the band - I know there are people who have lost their band and have had bypass or the sleave.

Hi Annie

I don't know if we have anyone here who had bypass then the band - I know there are people who have lost their band and have had bypass or the sleave.

IndioGirl,

How would someone "lose" their band? BTW, I think that you are a real asset to this board. You offer great advice and insight.

IndioGirl,

How would someone "lose" their band? BTW, I think that you are a real asset to this board. You offer great advice and insight.

Lucy

Thank you so much for your kind words - As I have said a million times before - I am just a fat chick - speaking fat chick talk - We are all the same - and I want everyone free of the excess weight and the whole problems that go along with it - We all can do it - I truly beleive that.

As to your original question - you can lose your band for a few reasons - slippage (can happen by not following the rules - and your dr's instructions as you heal) also from Pbing - infection - errorison which I think happens if you are too tight plus have read were taking NAISD can be a cause too but am not 100% sure (there are alot more medically smart people here who can give you the tech reason - like wasabubble butt) - Truly - in life sh*t happens even if you follow all the rules - Why does a person who doesn't smoke get lung cancer and a person who has smoked 80 yrs doesn't - I don't really dwelling on the problems & complications - cuz some things are out of our control - like getting an infection during surgery - out of your control - so why worry - I guess I am just not a worrier - I try to do the best that i can do - and that's all I can do so why worry about something that might not happen - we don't know..

Againg thanks for the props....

Lucy

Thank you so much for your kind words - As I have said a million times before - I am just a fat chick - speaking fat chick talk - We are all the same - and I want everyone free of the excess weight and the whole problems that go along with it - We all can do it - I truly beleive that.

As to your original question - you can lose your band for a few reasons - slippage (can happen by not following the rules - and your dr's instructions as you heal) also from Pbing - infection - errorison which I think happens if you are too tight plus have read were taking NAISD can be a cause too but am not 100% sure (there are alot more medically smart people here who can give you the tech reason - like wasabubble butt) - Truly - in life sh*t happens even if you follow all the rules - Why does a person who doesn't smoke get lung cancer and a person who has smoked 80 yrs doesn't - I don't really dwelling on the problems & complications - cuz some things are out of our control - like getting an infection during surgery - out of your control - so why worry - I guess I am just not a worrier - I try to do the best that i can do - and that's all I can do so why worry about something that might not happen - we don't know..

Againg thanks for the props....

IndioGirl,

You're welcome, they were sincere! :biggrin: I've always tried to be the kind that doesn't worry until I someone says, ok, it's time to worry (at least healthwise). But with this it's different. It's kind of scary and I worry about all the things that can go wrong. I can't wait to eat, yet I am so scared of anything getting stuck when I do. I am trying to just take it easy and reading this board helps alot. I feel like I'm learning alot and I'm making mental notes of what NOT to do to prevent any problems. Thanks for all of your input.

Hi Annie

The complications were a mixture of things. I was only 17 when I got the bypass done. I thought that my parents and I researched enough but I ended up picking a really unqualified doctor.

The procedure I had was called the "micropouch". Essentially what I was told was that they take the part of your stomach that doesn't quite stretch as much as the rest and they make a pouch about the size of a walnut.

Aside from the infection I had in my incision, the first year of my surgery went really well. I had lost 100 or so pounds and I was feeling really good about myself. But after a while I had stopped feeling so well. My "stomach" constantly ached, I had heartburn, and I noticed that I could eat A LOT more than what I was supposed to be eating and I wasn't getting full.

When I told the doctor about this he said it wasn't a big deal but they would do a scope to check out everything. After the results came back he told me that the opening into my stomach and the opening at the bottom of my stomach had stretched a considerable amount, something it wasn't supposed to do. He then told me that the surgery to repair this wasn't worth it and that he wasn't going to do it.

All in all the whole experience has been frustrating and heartbreaking because when I have to explain what I had done, people look at me like "yeah, I'm sure you had it done." Its hard because you feel like a failure at something that I shouldn't have failed at.

So after much trial and effort, I'm looking at other options to help me lose the weight.