Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll for self-payers

That's the way I feel also--I closed out a mutual fund(that wasn't growing anyway--figured I should be the one losing instead of it!)

I have now paid $500 per pound I have lost! My goal is to get it to $80 per pound--or at least less than $100!!

HA! I do the same thing, mine is down to $64/pound. Worth every penny.

And to stay in line with the thread topic, I paid cash.

Hmm...thought I'd do the cash thing, but now, may put it on a credit card--get 1% cash back--that will be $155--and pay off the credit card that month!

charged whole thing to Norweigan cruise line master card ($12,500). Pay off card every month so......when I get bill will take about $5K from savings and put the rest on home equity account. It shouldn't increase payment too much. We should have enough points to take cruise after I lose 110 lbs. We charge about everything...the trick is we pay it off every month. Sometimes it's rough but we manage.

Cash / Savings - $30k. $15k for me / $15k for husband, same day surgery.

Not sorry = Just annoyed w/Ins BS that one has to go thru.

I don't know why I didn't think to put it on my credit card and get air miles for it. I took out a 2nd mortgage on my house. I could have gotten the air miles and paid the credit card off with the loan.

I put everything on that card, and pay it off every month. I wonder why I didn't think of that. I need all the air miles I can get with an elderly father living out of state.

I saved up, used my income tax return, and borrowed from family. Spent $7,769 all together in Juarez, MX.

Hey all you self-payers, make sure that you take the reciept for service and file it with your taxes....I got alot back and my accountant said that the majority was due to the surgery and the fact that I self-paid.....

I am possibly going to be self pay. My concern is what if there is band slippage or another surgery is needed in the future? That will be another cost to me. Was that a concern for anyone else or am I being too nervous about this? Around here in NC the surgery is running around $21-$24,000. Any advise?:leaving:

Marie - that all depends on the individual doctor. I asked the same question when I attended the seminar. My doctor mentioned that it would be worked out that he would write off the cost and that the hospital would do the same. I know there are a lot around the states that don't charge as much, but I felt it was worth it with this reassurance. The hospital where I had it performed is committed to the surgery and has a obesity clinic as well. Due to this the price included free fills (up to 5 per year) for life.

I cashed out my RRSPs (Retirement Savings Plan - similar to a 401k in the U.S., I believe)

I paid using my 401K savings. I had just enough to cover the surgery. I'm 33 years young and thought I can save more before retirement, but if I had not had the surgery I may not have lived to see retirement! It was worth EVERY single cent to me!

I was also worried about other surgeries. But I took a leap of faith and so far so good! I am from Georgia and I went to The Gastric Band Institute. www.gastricbandinstitute.com

My cost with all pre-tests before surgery was around $14,000.00 because I was a self pay. They charge $20,000.00 for insurance patients.

Good luck to you!