Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calorie Intake

The center that did my surgery really recommended we not count calories. They have stressed the importance of listening to our bodies and eating to the point of satisfaction, not according to calories. If you concentrate on eating Protein first, then fruits and vegetables and starches only occasionally you are going to do fine and lose weight. I think the point is to get you out of the dieters mentality and into healthy eater mentality. It is pretty freeing to not be stressing about those numbers!~

The center that did my surgery really recommended we not count calories. They have stressed the importance of listening to our bodies and eating to the point of satisfaction, not according to calories. If you concentrate on eating Protein first, then fruits and vegetables and starches only occasionally you are going to do fine and lose weight. I think the point is to get you out of the dieters mentality and into healthy eater mentality. It is pretty freeing to not be stressing about those numbers!~

i have to agree, if i wanted to count calories for the rest of my life i woudl go on some damn diet again . LOL I didnt do well with those for a reason , REBELLION LMAO

MINDY:angry:

I am consuming 1000 or less everyday and burning at least 400 a day. Any opinions on this? I am 6weeks postop and have lost at least 1lb every week...

Over the years when I didn't count calories, I always ate too much. Counting keeps me accountable. If I could "read" my bodies signals of being full etc. then I guess I wouldn't have gotten fat.

Once I get restriction, if I am able to lose weight without counting, then i won't count, but the minute that scale goes up or a pair of pants gets tight, I will be back to counting.

If my band helps to send the right signals to my head to stop eating after a normal portion, then I won't count.

No one plan works for everyone, just like one size doesn't fit all!

You would count calories to make sure you are consuming enough as well as to make sure you aren't over-consuming. Too few calories can stall weight loss.:tt1:

I do have to count calories if im not loosing but its usually to make sure im eating enough like i said before. what i meant was, and did not mean to offend any one was I do not want to HAVE TO COUNT for the rest of my life and I feel for myself and the band i dont have to .

If some people have to or need to to be held accountable that's great, I weight myself EVERY Day to hold myself accountable and others think that is STUPID LOL .

What ever works .

Mindy

You can count me as a daily weigher, too! I need lots of accountability!

Lots of different ways to get to the same place, as long as we get there, gang, we're ok!

Thanks for all the posts here. I've been very curious about daily calories with band and knowing how much is enough or not enough. I've read anything under 1200 is not enough and when doing calories needed for my weight and to lose, calculators say I should be eating at least 1500... I've been trying to now eat 6 small meals throughout the day and that puts me at about 1000 or so and I'm satified and not hungry and making conscience choices. Maybe that's the best way??? I guess the scale will tell

Per my nutritionist, calorie intake is an individual thing and there is no set recommended amt of calories for everbody. I don't know what formula she used. After my nutrition class, which only provided general info about Protein intake, good food choices, portion size, and Fluid intake I tried to figure out my pre-op diet calories for myself. I went to a web-site entered my weight, height and age and it came back with a figure of 1500 - 1900 calories per day in order for me to loss weight. However, last week when I had my 1st one-on-one with the nutritionist, she limits me to 1200-1400 calories per day. Apparently the formula she uses is different than the one I found online. I am sure things will be different after I get the band and as my weight decreases.