Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new from Houston..pros?cons?

Howdy....from one of the US's fattest city!:eek: I have not had the surgery yet, but am contemplating it. My husbands biggest concern is if something goes wrong. He said he would rather me be overweight than lose me to a complication with this. Has death ever resulted from this.. or severe complications?:rolleyes:

It seems a lot of people are discontented with their progress after the first couple months. I am just wondering if all in all, this is really worth it? It is a lot of money, and a big change. How easy of a decision was this for ya'll???

Would appreciate any input/advice on making a decision! Thanks!:D

Hello all,

I am a first time poster myself. I have been contemplating this for about 2-3 years now.. I signed up with one surgeon and then he left town. I am now signed up again with another surgeon. Dr O Malley. I will go through with it for sure. I am 54 years old, I have too much to do yet and this weight is holding me back.. I hope to gain some new insight on what to expect with this lap band and meet some people who will tell it like it is, as far as their experiences. I am married to a wonderful man who is behind me, 100 %. I am a little scared, but I will not be like this for much longer. I have three grown children, two of them are engaged and both will be married this year.. Lots to do and very exciting. :smile2:

Please feel free to write back and introduce yourself.

Rose

I too am new to this, my date is set for March 25, I have read and read as much as I can stand in each sitting, (then when I get up I hurt from sitting so long) if you read, you will get so much insight of what everyone else has gone through, sure its scary, my guy-friend is not behind this, of course he is a tight wad and this "is" a lot of money, he feels that I just should have better control over what I eat, men, can't live with them and can't live without 'em. I am doing this for me, I am tired of it being so hard to get up off the couch, goodness sake to get up off the floor is another ordeal, I want to wear shorts again, maybe even a bathing suit, (I know possibly not this year, but for sure next year) how about a crop top with "no" bra doesn't that sound nice, knowing that your belly isn't going to hang out for all to see, so much of this is for me, things that "I" want to do that I have not been able to because of all this weight, most of all, to be able to walk without getting winded, man I look forward to that so much. Do what your heart and mind wants to do, don't let others persuade you in any direction, this is for you!!:smile2:

Hello Rose! Good luck on your lap band journey. I too am new here, and have read so many sweet, inspiring posts. I think this site will be a great support during this challenge. My surgery is scheduled for March 17, not too far away. I hope it will be a major life change for me. I am only 38 years old, but already have to take 2 insulin shots a day, along with diabetes pills. And I have high blood pressure and cholesterol. I am doing this for my 9 year old son. I am a single mom, and his dad rarely involved. Myself and my mom are the only family my son has. And my mom's diabetes is even worse than mine. If something happens to me, I don't know what my son would do. So I HAVE to be here for him. People talk about how risky this procedure is, but at the rate I am going my diabetes and other health problems are a lot riskier than this surgery. And like you there is so much I would like to be doing with my son. I would love to go for a hike, ride a bicycle or even roller skate with my son.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I will be looking forward on hearing all about your procedure and progress. Please know that you are taking a stand for yourself and I am so happy to meet such brave people.

rose:wink_smile:

Hey 2tired2fight,

Welcome! I am from El Campo, Texas, about 70 miles SW of Houston. (We're neighbors!!!!) I haven't been banded yet, but hope to have surgery in April. I have breathing problems and my pulmonologist has been pushing me to have this surgery for about a year, but I just couldn't get my mind around it. I finally got it through my thick head that I've got to do something. I keep getting fatter and fatter, and I physically cannot do so many things. Lap band surgery is the least invasive and has the lowest mortality rate of all the weight loss surgeries, but any surgery has its risks. I feel that the weight loss far outweighs the risk of surgery. I personally am tired of not being comfortable in a movie theater, not being able to take my grandkids to McDonald's because I can't fit between those little seats and the table, and of just being physically miserable. All of us on this forum know those feelings, right?

I understand how you feel about it being worth it. My biggest fear is not about the surgery itself, but about being successful in the long run. I've tried a lot of diets, lost weight, and regained it plus some. I'm afraid that in the long haul, I'll just gain it all back. I'm really committed to making this work. I know that the band is a tool to help me, and I'm ready to make this journey; in fact, I'm getting pretty anxious to have surgery and get going!!

I'm pretty new to the forum, but since I've been here, I've learned a ton of information about the process. Keep reading. The folks here are great! Again, welcome!