Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guilt before the band

I am scheduled to have my band on 1/30 (two more days!). I got my insurance approval last week and was completely psyched! I was nervous about getting approved these past few months because since I started the whole process I gained 18 POUNDS (in 3 mo). I know it's alot of weight! I got approved anyway and kind of pushed that guilt of gaining the weight aside and decided to focus on how much my life is going to change once I get the surgery. Now I just received a call from the Dr.'s office and she expressed their concern about the weight gain. I had a pro-op appointment with them last week and they didn't mention anything. Now two days before my surgery they call me with their hesitations about the surgery, suggesting I wait a a few months longer and get that weight off. I was so excited for this surgery. I know it's not a garentee, but I felt like it was a tool that would help me with my greatest obstacle, Portion Control. I was going to work at it so hard and let this be the time in my life where I really focused on myself and making myself healthier and happier.

I told her I wanted to go through with the surgery on Wed anyway. But now I feel all of this guilt about the weight I had gained. And now I'm scared if I don't loose the weight I should, they may give me the "I told you so" treatment post-op. Did any of you feel this way before surgery? Did any of you feel guilt that diets didn't work in the past as well as they should have, so why would the band be any different?

Jersey, Just hold firm with your surgeon that you want to go through with the expected date. Acknowledge your responsibility for the weight gain and assure him/her that you fully plan on giving this 100% effort going forward. I did lose weight required by my surgeon pre-op...But before I made up my mind to have the surgery I said to myself, "I'm going to try my very hardest for 3 months to lose weight and if I can't do it, I'm getting the surgery" Needless to say, I gained 12 pounds in those 3 months. I think I almost did it on purpose??? Anyway, don't beat yourself up over it. Think positive and move forward with your very best effort. Don't cheat yourself this time. Treat yourself as you deserve to be treated.

What is that putting your BMI at? The point of the presurgical diet is to reduce your liver. Its possible that since you put the weight on over a few months time, it may not have affected the liver adversely. Hang in there and go all liquids (protein based) for the next two days before surgery and go in there with all the confidence in the world.

I agree, go on liquids for your next few days. I re-gained 20 pounds in the 6 months I waited around for the insurance to go through. I wish I hadn't but I did, I have since re-lost the weight and am moving forward! Good-Luck to you!!!

I knew I was getting my band in October, I didn't have my surgery until January - I gained approx. 20 lbs before my band. My surgeon basically told me that he didn't want me to gain any more weight (that was the very beginning of January) and I said okay no problem and made sure that I didn't. My surgeon also doesn't believe in preop diets (and I know he's not the only one) as he says he will do my surgery and doesn't really think that it helps the liver that much as it is. And I had a BMI of 50! And now here I am - had my surgery last Wednesday and am down 10lbs my first week. Stay firm with your surgeon, good luck *HUG*