Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss at 1st Postop Visit ? - Jeni

Hello everyone:

Today I am 12 days postop and had my first appointment since my surgery. I was a little disappointed that I only lost 3 lbs during this time and can't believe I didn't lose more. Did this happen to anyone else? I followed the full liquid diet but have not started exercising yet unless you count running after a three year old! I was told to move on the pureed foods which is better than full liquids. I am so sick of soup!!!! Anyway, just feeling a little depressed about today and hope to start losing more when I start exercising which will be today. I have lost 12 pounds total which I should be happy with but I want more!!!!! I'm very impatient!! Thanks for any advice.

Jeni in PA:frown:

Didn't your doc tell you the first 4-6 weeks are for healing? Mine told me not to worry about losing weight, as some even gain during this period. Its after the fill I have to make sure that the weight starts coming off.

I decided not to stress over the weight issue until after I get my first fill.

I too only lost 5 pounds in the first two weeks post-op. I guess we are not supposed to worry about it. And Chrisann, I agree it is most important that we focus on healing right now. But it still is a little discouraging to see such small numbers. After all, I assume this is the time we are consuming the least calories and this should be the time when weight loss is rapid. As opposed to the normal slowing down of 1-2 pounds per week once food is re-introduced. I'm not going to stress over it, and I know everyone is different, But it does seem a bit wierd that some lose up to 15lbs the first week and others are struggling to lose. It just makes me worry that my metabolism is ultra-slow...I hate that!

Hey, 3 lbs is a great start! And don't get discouraged if you maybe gain a smidgen of those 3 lbs back when you start on mushies. Like Chrisann said, it's time for healing! *hug* And once you're all healed up you and eating "normally" and able to do more excercise you will be well on your way !

My understanding is that there is a lot of swelling during this period as well as a lot of Water weight from the IV solution that has to work it's way through the body. I read a post today that you will learn to have patience as a bandster. Don't worry, it will come off.

For some us, we have been on a liquid/puree stage for a month now, so your body has adjusted to that. I have no doubt that once "regular" food is reintroduced, the metabolism does a double take and the weight will actually start coming off. I think we are moving into the you have to eat to lose weight phase of our lives. In the past, you would diet and cut things way back and your body fed off the muscle not the fat.

i had my post op visit and only lost a couple of lbs. my doc said not to be worried about it just focus on healing and starting good eating habits wait till you get a fill remeber the band is a tool and it takes time