Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carry a measuring cup in my purse? ADVICE needed...

Ok...so I'm having issues with Portion Control when I'm out of the house. I'm still mostly eating purees, but I'm also slowly easing my way into soft foods due to the fact that my stomach and bowels weren't too happy with my first few attempts at soft foods. That could be the issues I have with IBS...but I digress. LOL Also, I have NOT had my first fill yet. I also have very little restriction.

So when I eat out, I stick to the rules. But, I'm having a really hard time controlling my portions when I'm out away from home and I've definitely eaten over a cup of food on a couple of occasions. I try to visualize but I'm really bad at that, apparently. I'm hoping this will get easier once I have fills and restrictions, since my stomach won't be able to hold that much. Right now, it's tough and I'm still learning how to stop when I'm satisfied, and NOT when I feel full. The reason for this is that if I eat until I'm full, then I'm easily eating 2 cups of food. I can't be doing that!

How do some of you get your portions right when you're at restaurants? Do I have to carry a measuring cup in my purse to get this right? I would be willing to do that unless I can find an easier trick. Quite frankly, I'd rather not have to pull out a measuring cup in public. But if that's what it takes, then bring it on! LOL

Ok...so I'm having issues with Portion Control when I'm out of the house. I'm still mostly eating purees, but I'm also slowly easing my way into soft foods due to the fact that my stomach and bowels weren't too happy with my first few attempts at soft foods. That could be the issues I have with IBS...but I digress. LOL Also, I have NOT had my first fill yet. I also have very little restriction.

So when I eat out, I stick to the rules. But, I'm having a really hard time controlling my portions when I'm out away from home and I've definitely eaten over a cup of food on a couple of occasions. I try to visualize but I'm really bad at that, apparently. I'm hoping this will get easier once I have fills and restrictions, since my stomach won't be able to hold that much. Right now, it's tough and I'm still learning how to stop when I'm satisfied, and NOT when I feel full. The reason for this is that if I eat until I'm full, then I'm easily eating 2 cups of food. I can't be doing that!

How do some of you get your portions right when you're at restaurants? Do I have to carry a measuring cup in my purse to get this right? I would be willing to do that unless I can find an easier trick. Quite frankly, I'd rather not have to pull out a measuring cup in public. But if that's what it takes, then bring it on! LOL

I think it would be easier to carry something that is about the same size as the amount of food you're allowed to eat. I've read about comparisons to a deck of cards, for example. Perhaps you could measure out the proper amount at home and then find something that takes up about the same amount of space. Do you have something in your purse that is about that size? How does it compare to your wallet or cellphone or a cosmetic case? Or compare it to something the restaurant is likely to have, such as a coffee cup.

I wouldn't want to mess with measuring my food in a restaurant, either, though I've done it at home until I got a good idea. Good luck!

Sometimes I would ask for a "to go" box when my meal was brought. Iput half of the meal in the box immediately, before i take a bite, so it's off my plate from the beginning and I'm already figuring it's not available.

the only other thing I can think of is, slow down! If you are really chewing your food and eating slowly, you will probably get full on much less and it is easier to stop.

Some other ideas are to share with a friend. I did that last week with someone who doesn't even know I'm banded. We each had a small cup of Soup and shared a sandwich(I only ate the inside since I don't do bread well most of the time). She is a petite coworker, so I don't think she even noticed. Be prepared for old friends and family to make comments like, "That's ALL you're having?" Or, order from the appetizer menu or ask for a box right away and put half in the box immediately, so you won't be tempted to eat it. You can bring a measuring cup if you want, but eventually you will learn the proper serving amount for you and it will become second nature.

I always ask for a to go box when my meal comes as well and i put half of it in the box. Before my first fill I really did not worry too much about how much i was eating . I ate until I was satisfied and did not worry much about the amount. Once you get restriction you will be able to eat much much less.

If you are worried about it maybe worry about calorie intake ? Make sure your getting in ENOUGH calories, right now its easy to not eat enough espically if your worried about how little you can eat.

After your filled your band will tell you when enough is enough . Until then try the using your fist as a measure or a deck of cards if you want to measure ?

HTH

mindy

A deck of cards = 4 oz.

One of your thumbs = 1 oz.

Use a bread plate to put the food you plan to eat on and either put the rest in a to go box or have the server take it away or offer it to your table companions. Order from the senior menu because it is usually smaller portions and/or less side items. (that is if you are old enough to pass for a senior or the restaurant isn't too picky about who orders from it, usually if you explain you are on a special food plan they will let you) The kids menu might be an option too, especially if you are ordering in.

You might also try ordering a cup of Soup and eating very slowly. As long as you don't eat out too often it shouldn't throw your weight loss efforts too much.

I put a measuring cup at work, along with personal blender. I find here I can stay on plan that way.

On the two occasions I have eaten out, I have stuck to the Soup route, as you can have more than a few ounces. Then when back at the office, if I was still hungry, had some cottage cheese that I keep in the fridge. Its not exact, but keeps me from being too overly concerned while eating out and making my companions more self conscious to what they were eating and I wasn't.

Ask for a coffee cup. That is one cup. Fill it up, scoot it back on your plate and then turn the coffee cup over on the saucer and they will take it away.

I don't know if you have a TGI Fridays where you are, but on the back page they have low-cal, low-fat half portions on the menu, and several are well under 500 calories. They are delicious. When anyone asks where we should go eat, I'm not shy any more. I speak right up and say Friday's! Personally, I can't even finish the half portion plate, but it keeps me in check, and no one really realizes it.