Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Hungry!!

Hi again. I am 14 days post op today and today is the 1st day that I am feeling really hungry. I had a Protein Shake for breakfast..and normally I drink the next one in the afternoon although I am not very hungry. Today I have hunger pains. I have a high Protein pudding for lunch since I am not on pureed till Monday. But what do you think of a tsp or 2 of finely chopped egg salad? Is it too soon? Is it normal to feel so hungry even with the band filled 2.5 cc already?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--do not let yourself get too hungry while in the healing phase. If you're hungry, have something else to eat/drink! If you're only three days away from mushies, you're well into the thick Soups and shakes realm. I'd stay away from egg salad as yet, but there are lots of options still out there for you. Don't worry about calories!

As far as whether it's normal to feel so hungry, the answer is YES. You're eating next to nothing compared to what you were taking in pre-band, so of course your tummy is rumbling! Even with a fill (I assume you have the Vanguard band, in which 2.5 cc is a very small amount), your body is adjusting to a drastically lower calorie count and it would be a surprise if you weren't hungry.

Every single new bandster goes through this exact same thing. You're normal, and while it's hard please remember that this phase is temporary. You're doing great!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Alex...I have the band which can hold up to 4cc is that the Vanguard band? How many different styles of bands are there? I did eat the egg sald and wish i didn't, my stomach is rumbling and swishing...I lost 10 lb right after the surgery , but haven't lost any since..Is this normal? I am not eating much and feel i should loose more. Are lolipops okay to suck on for something sweet occasionally? Is it possible to gain weight during this phase?

I'm totally amazed that Dr. Kwon would fill your band more than halfway at surgery. That goes against everything I've ever heard about Inamed's recommendations. Many people with the 4cc band don't reach 2.5 ccs until after two or three fills, and that is often a good amount for significant restriction!

That's why I'm so surprised. But the truth remains--whatever the facts are with regard to the size of your band and its fill--that once you're healed from surgery hunger does return. And since you're still in the healing stages you don't want to make your stomach work hard to move or digest food. Stick to liquids and then mushies next week, and don't worry about calories.

You ask if it's possible to gain weight during this period? Well, of course it is, if you take in more than you expend. In my experience I lost weight pretty quickly in the weeks after surgery, and once I got back on solid food the loss stopped and I gained a few pounds back. Then I had a fill and the loss started again, along with many adventures in learning how to eat like a bandster. But I don't know what to say about what your experience will be, if you're truly filled to 2.5 ccs right out of surgery with the 4cc band. (That is not the Vanguard band, btw. The Vanguard band has a capacity of 10cc or so.)

So for the mushy food stage , it could be any food , obviously not steak or anything, but as long as i put it in the food processor?

Yes, but I'd first try something that's pretty bland just to see how your tummy handles it. Make sure it's really smooth (mushy).

Is it hard to stop eating when you're full now that we have the band. I just ate 12 oz of egg drop Soup, was full but of course I could do more. I prob should of had 8 oz? Is that stretching the pouch too much? Will the band slip?

Jasper . eating sopus will never satisfy you since it is liquid it goes right through the pouch.Once you get to solids you will see that 12 oz of solid Protein wil lfeel alot different then 12 oz of liquids. It is almost impossible to stretch the pouch with liquids.