Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and Depo Provera

Has anyone starting taking the Depo Provera shot since being banded. I was banded in June/07 and received my first shot last week. Just wondering if anyone has experienced any changes as a result. For some unknown reason, I had the Depo shot, and did it on a Saturday. The following week (last week) I managed to gain 11lbs. I bought another scale wondering if mine was out to lunch, but the new scale shows the same increase. I did notice a difference in my clothing, but not 11lbs difference. Just wondering if this is my band and head playing tricks with me, or if it could have something to do with the Depo shot. I am feeling hungy, thus went for a fill yesterday.

I am not banded yet however I just got off of Depo and was on it for 6 years. And a lot of people complain of weight gain when you first start it but it is supposed to pretty much stabilize after the second shot.

I know I gained like 15 lbs between the first and second shot and lost all of it between the second and third. And at the time I wasn't really doing anything to try to loose weight. Lots of my friends who are on it had similar weight changes when they first started.

I was banded in August 07 and began taking Depo Provera in March 08, since that time, I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't been able to lose any weight either. Two of my friends have gained, so I guess I should count myself lucky that I did not gain. I am scheduled for a fill very soon and will not be renewing the shot until I get some more weight off of me.

I haven't gained any but loosing has been even harder. I am also having some horrible side effects. I was on it for 7 years off of it for 3 and recently went back on it. Had my 2nd shot last month. I am so tired and cranky, back pains, if I didn't know better I would say I was pregnant. I know I am not but this just sucks. I go back to my OB next month, my primary care thinks it is all the shot and is worried about my bones and calcuim. I think I am going to have to try something else. I don't want my period though!!

i used to be on depo but i had horrible side effects - weight gain, headaches, terrible mood swings...needless to say, i'm not the biggest fan of the med.

i used to be on depo but i had horrible side effects - weight gain, headaches, terrible mood swings...needless to say, i'm not the biggest fan of the med.

I am not either right now! I can't wait for it to be out of my system! I used to love it. My doctor told me "you were younger then"... gee thanks! what are you using now? Yaz sounds good, but so do the 1 period every 3 months pills.< /p>

I was on depo before I got banded for about a year. I got off, but I hated my periods, so i've been back on for 2 series of shots and I gained 9lbs since i've been on it. I noticed after the first shot I wasn't loosing anymore weight either. So i'm waiting for this second shot to wear off...Hopefully I'll be able to concieve in about 6-9 months. I know It takes a while to get it out of your system, and start ovulating again. But i'm pretty sure u cant loose because of the depo, unless its time for a fill. Good Luck

I was also on Depo about 8 yrs ago.

My doc advises against going back on depo because of the weight gain and recommended an IUD.

I've convinced my husband to get a vasectomy instead. :thumbup:

I just started Depo but I'm not banded yet. We were going to do pills but had MAJOR breakthrough. GYN put me on the pill form of Depo before he started the shots to make sure I wouldn't have any side effects. I'll be getting my second shot about the middle of Sept. A couple of weeks after my surgery. I'm still able to lose (have to before surgery) but have noticed this last week, I'm really hungry. Scares me b/c they said if I gain ANYTHING they will cancel my surgery! Talk about panic!!

Anyway, I don't know about an 11lb gain though! Could some of that be Water weight or bloating or something?! (I'm trying to help!) Unless you ate copious amounts of food, I don't know how you could gain that much unless you're bloating too. UGH!

Best wishes and hope this resolves itself!

I am officially of depo! I started loestrin 24 fe or something like that last week. Feel much better already! My hunger has already subsided! So glad I am done with it, it was great when I was younger but forget it now!