Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concern holding me back...

Good morning,

I am interested in having the lap band surgery. I've done the research, understand the cost and know that I would be eligible for the surgery but there is one thing holding me back. If I can't live the kind of lifestyle that this process requires before the surgery why would I be able to do it after the surgery?

How do you do it? Is it just that you can no longer physically eat all the same types of food in the same quantities? Is there more to it?

Your thoughts and advice would be helpful.

Thank You, LynnAnn

If I can't live the kind of lifestyle that this process requires before the surgery why would I be able to do it after the surgery?

Because THIS time there is a physical barrier to eating too much! That is what the band offers that plain old willpower has never been able to provide. Every time I want to overeat or munch on something I don't need, I have my band to remind me to take it slow, which gives my time to put the food down.

Lynn Ann - What Alex said is right, it always helps us when we work with it. I have not been limited to any special foods, I pretty much eat what I want. I chose not to eat bread, or a lot of the starches, but if I wanted them, I would eat them. I don't miss anything at all when it comes to food. You won't be as hungry, you won't crave alot of the things you think you would.

Good Luck!

I had the same question before I was banded. But when you have proper restriction with the band, you can't eat much. After you eat a small amount, you get a physical sensation that says,"stop." If you try eating another bite or two, you become very, very uncomfortable and may even PB. That experience is unpleasant enough that you will not want to repeat it. The next time you get that "stop" signal, you'll stop. You may want to eat more, but you won't, you can't.

Also, I cannot eat many of my problem foods, particularly bread. It gets stuck. Some people can eat it, but I can't and I'm glad. That has helped me a lot.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

You'll find yourself enjoying your meals more because you know you won't be eating yourself into a stupor and you'll be eating better, tastier choices. Ex. grilled over fried foods. But it also takes a lot of headwork too. The band is a tool, but we have to do our part for it to work....lean, moist meats, veggies and consistent exercise.

Amen Alex!

What I enjoy the most is not getting up fro mthe table with that full unbotton your pants disgusting feeling..I still enjoy all of the foods I used to eat but in much less quantity..I also find myself making better food choices..some things I can tolerate better then others and some days I can tolerate things better then other days..the band is a fickle thing..for example I can not eat a tortilla, it is my worst nightmare but I can eat bread no problems,I can eat chiicken no problems with out it getting stuck but I pop a tiny jelly belly into my mouth and WHAM restriction..go figure..