Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exactly what constitutes a mushie

So today is my two week post op anniversary. Although most of the time I do really well with smoothies or applesauce, I must admit I have concerns about a couple of meals I have had. For example I have had fish including sea bass and tilapia as well as I just finished eating a cheese omelet for IHOP. I feel fine, but also have a fair amount of quilt/concern over whether or not I am doing whats right for my band. What do you guys think?

These are things suggested by my nutritionist for the mushy stage:

Baby food

pureed fruits and veggies

Low fat creamed spinach

Applesauce

pureed Squash

Cream of Wheat, Farina, runny oatmeal

Mashed Potatoes

Fish, flakey, fork mashed

"wet" tuna fish or egg salad fork mashed or blended well with low fat mayo

Non fat refried Beans

Silken tofu

Blended chicken or meatballs

Low fat milk

low fat yogurt

Ricotta cheese, cottage cheese

sugar free pudding

Blended Soups

I was craving Pasta, so made egg pastina, its small and mushy too.

If I were you, I would check with your doctor/nutritionist because as you can tell by reading posts, every doctor has their own interpretation of the post opt meals and you don't want to do something he/she may not recommend, even though this is what my doctor recommended.

I'm on mushies too, last night I ate a taco from taco bell. :/ I chewed it to smitherines, it was a mushie when it went down. But I felt bad afterwards, I have been a good girl today. I know I should not have eatten it, but I did.

I'm on mushies too, last night I ate a taco from taco bell. :/ I chewed it to smitherines, it was a mushie when it went down. But I felt bad afterwards, I have been a good girl today. I know I should not have eatten it, but I did.

I think a bean burrito sounds great for when I hit the mushie stage....just not the tortilla...breads are a big no-no on my list of approved foods.

Every doctor is different, so it is so hard to say what is right for the band, and what is not. Some doctors have you eating solids by 3 weeks, some doctors by 6 weeks. It is very confusing.

Chrisann's list looks very similar to my soft food list. I have found that the flaked fish option has allowed me to go out to dinner with friends last night, and not just get the Soup. Almost every nice restaurant has a fish option on the menu.

At this stage, I am trying to avoid chicken, red meat, most carbs, junk foods, and sweets (to name a few). The one thing I am wondering about is fruit and vegetables. I am allowed 'mashed' banana, and I put frozen berries in my Protein shakes, but I am so ready for a salad. Last night I had a few bites of my friends chopped salad (it was chopped super fine...perfect for a bandster!). It tasted great, and it filled me up a bit, but I was wondering if that was a problem. I know we can have overcooked veggies, but what about finely chopped veggies?

My surgeons version of a mushie is anything that is almost "pureed consistancy" so if it's like mashed potato consistancy or came out of a blender then you are good to go. Basically what Chrisann listed.

Good luck with your journey - and don't rush the healing as you will have a lifetime of eating normal so whats a few weeks on post-op diet in the grand scheme of things! :cursing:

My post-op doc recommended stages are:

1. full liquid

2. purees

3. soft foods

So...this "mushy" talk all over these boards is even more confusing to me...so I can't help you. If the mushy stage is supposed to be similar to my soft food stage, then my doc says that is anything you could chew if you didn't have teeth. If your mushy stage is equivalent to my puree stage, then that's anything you can throw in a blender and puree down to baby food consistency.

I don't know if that helps cuz I don't understand "mushies"...