Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit a plateau

Hi Everyone,

I'm stuck, no matter what i seem to eat or do i can't seem to lose anymore. I had lapband surgery on 12/6/07 tipping the scales at 472, as of today i'm 50 pounds down, For the last 2 weeks i've been bouncing between 422-427 and i can't get past that point. My meals are

breakfest

Protien shake (8oz fat free milk, about 43 grams of whey protien, 2 scoops of GNC mega man multi Vitamin power, 2 table spoons of all natural Peanut Butter (no fat,2grams of suger,8 grams of protien, about 200 caleries), 7 ice cubes)

lunch if im hungry, half the time i skip this and just eat dinner

grilled chicken sandwich (chicken,tomato,some light honey mustard, in a pita) Takes me about an hour to hour and a half to eat the whole thing, rarely i'll eat the pita

Dinner

some sort of a chicken or an omlette with egg beaters and ff cheese

snack (if i feel hunger coming on)

a snack cup of ff and suger free pudding or

a sting cheese

oh and i'm constantly drinking Water at work and when i get home i'll have crystal light

As you can tell i eat mostly chicken due to thats really the only meat i can handle at this point (tried some chop meat and steak and neither seem to go down to well)

Exercise

treadmill for 6 min a night and thats about .20 of a mile, i can't seem to do more than that due to hip and knee problems, (can't really walk around out side since its about 10 degrees out in NJ and im constanly cold since surgery)i still have problems lifting things so weight lifting is pretty much out.

Any suggestions on what to do or change?

Sorry for the long winded post

Thanks

Mark S

Hang in there. Allow your body to catch up. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Don't get discouraged.

I think plateaus are the bodys way of adjusting to the new weight! Hang in there the scale will eventually move! Someone once told me that the weeks the scale is not moving are the weeks the inches fall off!

I am having a similar problem. I am 81lbs down and have around 35lbs to go and the scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks. I am really getting discouraged b/c I have changed my calorie intake both up and down and have changed my exercise routine a lot as well, yet the scale won't budge. I think my body is tired of losing and just needs a rest. I am going to start adding a second workout when possible (one short one in the morning (aerobics tape 30min) and a longer one at night (1-1 1/2 hrs at the gym). Maybe this a cutting a few calories will help. I don't know.

My advice to you is to calculate your daily calories. If you are going below 1200 calories, maybe you aren't eating enough. I found when I was losing it was because I was eating around 1500calories a day.

Also, I realize your exercise is limited right now, but maybe you can use Soup cans to do arm exercises. This weight shouldn't be too bad. Also, can you maybe to some leg lifts/exercises on your bed. Anything you can do to get a little more activity in would help speed things along.

Hang in there. The scales will budge for both of us eventually.