Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I've been lurking in the shadows of this group for a few weeks now and finally decided that I should introduce myself. I've been amazed to learn all the stories of the brave people in this group. I'm just going to the informational seminar this next Friday so I'm really, really new to all of this. I know that I need some help with my weight and am hoping that WLS is the answer.

My questions to you all:

1. if you had it to do over again, would you still choose the band over the bypass or other surgeries?

2. what has been the hardest part of the WLS, what has been the easiest?

3. what is the one thing that has helped you be successful?

It's funny, I read all these posts (here and on Strugglingbandsters) about people being unhappy with thier slow weightloss. From my perspective sitting here in no-band land ANY weightloss is a gift. I guess it's all in your expectations.

Well, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Megan from Minnesota

Hi, Megan,

You have some really good questions. I'm anxiuos to hear what others will write. Here are my answers:

1. Yes, I'd do it over again. It's the safest technique on the market with adequate results.

2. The hardest part for me includes the 5 week liquid diet; knowing who to tell and who not to tell and when to tell; determining food portions. The easiest? Hearing the anestheisiologist say "Sweet Dreams!" just before surgery! :sleep

3. My family has helped me be successsful. Though I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I would in the first 6 weeks, my family continues to encourage me. (Math and physiology just don't mix well! Who knew!)

At your seminar ask someone if you can feel their port. I'm glad I had an opportunity to do that because I was weirded out about the idea at first. You can hardly tell it's there.

Good luck! PM if you want!

Hello! I was banded on 8-20 and at first was wondering what was i thinking; just cause of the soreness; and of course with any surgery you are gonna be sore. Here are my answers to your questions (good questions by the way)

1. YES!! I would do the band all over again; there is just something weird to me about cutting my stomach and intestines.

2. The hardest part was the soreness; the easiest is the weight loss. (at first)

3. This website!!!!!!!!

Good Luck! and if you have any more questions just ask!!

Hi Megan!

Welcome to the site; I hope you feel free to ask whatever questions you might have, no matter how silly you think they are. I guarantee there's someone else out there who is thinking the same questions!

1. if you had it to do over again, would you still choose the band over the bypass or other surgeries?

ABSOLUUUUUUTELY. I have heard other people say they'd consider bypass if for some reason they lost their bands, but I don't even think that would do it for me. Bypass has just never seemed like a reasonable idea to me. The risk of complications is too great; I'd rather be fat and healthy than skinny and sick.

I can't really speak to this yet with any authority, but so far the surgery itself was the hardest part. It took more out of me than I'd expected. But still and all it wasn't too bad!

Ask me again when I'm successful :rolleyes:

It's funny, I read all these posts (here and on Strugglingbandsters) about people being unhappy with thier slow weightloss. From my perspective sitting here in no-band land ANY weightloss is a gift. I guess it's all in your expectations.

I completely agree with you. The very concept of being upset because the scale has "only" dropped, say, 20 lbs in four months is amazing to me. I'll consider myself successful if I can permanently arrest the upward climb of the scale, and I'll be over the moon if the numbers drop at any kind of noticeable rate.

i was only banded 8-18 but heres my 2 cents!

1. i agree with both comments alicia and kellymoos. +++ i also thought the recovery for the band was bad enough i CANT IMAGINE going through bypass!! my bosses wife had bypass done a year ago so she let me know what all the recovery entails!!!

2. WORST- so far...PRO OP DIET!!!(Post op hasnt been bad Soups never tasted so yummy)... the gas pain and soreness... (not really THAT bad!!) having to get used to small portions and realizing that if i snack... that it really was a meal because i get full!! thats not bad just different!!

BEST PART- realizing that if i get discouraged i have my band to keep me in check, if i am not loosing i can get a fill, if it takes me 3 years to reach goal thats fine because i dont have an 18 month window!!! i could go on here....:rolleyes:

3. i have lost 18 lbs 2 weeks post op just from following the post op diet. i have to agree with kellymoos this webiste has been a big help and the support and knowing these people are where you were, are now, or are heading is a comfort!

Megan- i also agree that slow weightloss is still weightloss!!! i hope this helps! good luck to you!

Absolutely, no question about it. My sister had the bypass, lost from 353 to 180, and now is back in the 300's. I have NEVER heard of anyone with the band (who still has their band) regaining. My insurance would only pay for the gastric bypass, so I took out a home equity loan and zipped down to Tijuana and had it done there.

The hardest part for me was the recovery. I was not one of those who could have gone to the Bash the day after my surgery! I will say, though, that my surgery was on a Thursday, and I went back to work on Monday (desk job, very sedentary). I hurt, and walking to the bathroom from my desk wasn't fun, but I lived. I made the whole week until Friday, when I asked to go home early. That weekend I was sick as a dog, super naseaus (although I never actually threw up). By the 2nd Monday after surgery I was feeling much better, and by the Monday after that I could get in and out of the car without pulling my left leg in with my hands. lol

The easiest thing has been the weight loss itself. I am not dieting or exercising. I am down 58 pounds from 1/23/03. Sure, I would love to lose 10, 15, 20 pounds a month! But not by dieting or killing myself with exercise. I walk the mall for an hour when I feel like it, and walk a mile and a half occasionally to my Mom's, but I do not have a "regimine" - I am trying to live life the way that feels normal to me, and I am very happy and contented.

There are two things that have been the turning point for me. Obviously, the most important one has been getting the band itself. The second was 6 months of therapy for my compulsive overeating, which I did from 1/02-6/02. I didn't know at the time I would be having WLS, and it has made all the difference in the world in my emotional life. Now that I am banded, all that I learned in my therapy is a huge support to my attitude - that in combination with the band itself have been invaluable.

Best of luck with your decision!

Hi Megan!

Im pre-band also and loved your questions!

Thank you to all who answered, it sure is a great help to those of us on the pre band side, to know what to expect.

Sunni

Pre-band

scheduled 1st seminar 09-11-2003

Hoping for 2003 surgery date

Thanks for bumping these! The only thing I would do different is that I'd fight my insurance company till they got sick of me and either shot me or paid for the procedure. I didn't mind so much having to pay for the Band, but I've had way too many complications that have put me in a bad financial bind now. And I can't even get a new port because of money, which really sucks.

Other than that, I'd do it again right now. I don't recall any pain from the actual surgery. I know they gave me regular medicine, but even when the buzz wore off I never felt pain, only discomfort from being swollen and pumped with gas.