Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sitting here on this fence...

I've done all the prelim stuff and now I'm just waiting to hear if my insurance is going to cover this but I have to say that I'm not sure this is for me. How do you know? I have a real problem with having choices taken out of my hands. I ask myself if this is just me being lazy and not doing it on my own. I barely qualify for the surgery and have only been over weight for the past nine years. Before that I was a size 12 and in my mind I'm still a size 12. But I'm turning 50 and I'm dating which is a whole new sport in your 50s... Do you ever think that it was a bad idea? Do you ever wish you didn't have the band? I just don't know...

I wish I could have done this when I was younger. If I didnt do this I would still have that 40lbs. You can still eat most anything, things that dont work with your band....it will tell you and it will make eating them not worth it.

I've done all the prelim stuff and now I'm just waiting to hear if my insurance is going to cover this but I have to say that I'm not sure this is for me. How do you know? I have a real problem with having choices taken out of my hands. I ask myself if this is just me being lazy and not doing it on my own. I barely qualify for the surgery and have only been over weight for the past nine years. Before that I was a size 12 and in my mind I'm still a size 12. But I'm turning 50 and I'm dating which is a whole new sport in your 50s... Do you ever think that it was a bad idea? Do you ever wish you didn't have the band? I just don't know...

I love my band - it doesn't take choices away from you - you can stil eat - just smaller portions - only you know if it's right for you.

Dating in your 50's good for you - I have given up on men ... Don't have time for the drama.... Had enough for my entire life.

Good luck on your journey

I wish I could have done this 15 or 20 years ago . . . I'm finally starting to get some decent weight off . . .and my back and knee and hip are starting to be soooo much better. It got to the point that I was walking with a cane last May . . . and it is stuck in my trunk now where it stays. I would do this again even if I didn't lose any more weight that what I have right now . . . and I'm selectively dating . . . and closing in on 58 . . . so it's made my life so much better . . . I wouldn't trade it for the world!

don't do it !!!!! my son almost lost his life at 35 years old, he is in the medical field, he has had 3 surgerys within 3 weeks to safe his life, just one little pin hole almost cost him his life it started Jan. 2, 2008, Lap Band operation. Jan. 11, 2008 removal due to infection, Jan. 19, 2008

cut wide open to further clear infection (abcess) today Jan. 25, 2008 finally moved out of ICU unit, still in telemtry unit, on feeding tube now and for a couple more weeks, has not been able to even drink Water for almost 3 weeks. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Join Weight Watchers you can't die from that!!!!!!!!

Well you heard from both sides of the fence!

Surgery is a big step, should not be taken lightly and should in my opinion be a last resort. It was for me. I had tried everyway to get the weight off without success, so I truly felt surgery was my last hope. I choose the band instead of gastric bypass because it was the option with the least risk.

There are risks with any surgery but I felt it was worth the risk and I was right. I love my band. I feel better about myself and have more energy. My knees don't hurt anymore. I've had no problems with my band. My eating is under control. Yesterday I was bored and I snacked too much but I still ate much much less than I would have without my band. The band is not the easy way out but in my case it has made weight loss much easier. I have only been banded for 2 months but I truly believe I will be successful and keep the weight off.

Good luck with your decision.

If you haven't checked out the introduction thread you need to. Several women, young and younger..have made a decision. My decision was made for me by my many health issues. I have only had mine since 2/8/08 but I don't feel restricted at all. I eat what my nutritionist recommended and what my doctor suggests..and like the rest of us..I've even cheated a bit :frown:! So thereby the choice I made may not have been the right one as far as cheating and eating that gingersnap when I wasn't suppose to..but that's where you have the flexiblity to make your choices. You don't lose that.just don't get carried away and do it everyday!:wub: I am happy with my lapband! I wish you good luck and hopefully you can make the decision you feel is right for you! I didn't get that option but I am just glad that they had this available for me at this time in my life!:frown:

I am very happy that I have my band. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.