Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type 2 Diabetes & Lap Band--has anyone seen a change in sugar levels etc?

CNN ---- Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently featured lap band on CNN and eluded that it may be a potential cure for Diabets Type 2.

Has anyone with Type 2 had the surgery and seen their diabetes go into remission etc??

This possibility is one of the driving factors in my considering the surgery.

Thank you

Hi there, yes I was banded in sept 2007, immediatly after surgery I went from 5 pills per day down to 2 a day and my doctor believes as my weight continues to go down I should be off all diabetic medication eventually. Sherry

I was banded specifically to avoid starting medication for Type II diabetes. I had tried controlling it with diet/exercise for a year. I lost 40lbs in 2006, and regained most of it in a 12-month period. Frustrating.

I had surgery on Aug 30. I haven't had an elevated reading since my birthday in October, and I just stopped checking it daily at Thanksgiving.

I used to feel like I was on the verge of a hangover--all day, every day. You won't believe how much better you feel, how much more energy you have when your levels drop to normal and stay there. I'm back to being the hyperactive little kid I used to be...:redface:

It also cured my acid reflux--poof, gone the day of surgery. That alone was worth the price of self-pay.

Hi: I have Diabetes II and my pills have been reduced from 5 to 1. I am now seeing low 6's in my blood work.

Here is an exerpt from the Financial Post yesterday:

Weight-loss surgery using gastric banding can reverse type 2 diabetes in obese people, Australian researchers report. Obese individual who underwent the procedure were more than five times more likely to see their diabetes resolve than people who relied on lifestyle changes alone.............quote.:redface:

Very timely question...

This article was in the news this week.

"A new world-first study by Monash University

researchers in Melbourne, Australia, found laparoscopic adjustable gastric

banding (LAGB) to have a profound impact on one of society's biggest health

issues - Type 2 diabetes."

CNW Telbec | ALLERGAN | Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding 5x More Likely to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes than Diet and Exercise

Andrew

I had been taking Metformin (4 pills a day) for about 10 years and Avandia (4 mg/day) for about 5 years to control my blood sugar. I have been gradually decreasing my meds and for the last month I have not been taking any diabetes medications and my blood sugar has been testing normal. I also have stopped taking Nexium (for acid reflux) and am now only taking a synthroid pill a day.:hurray:

I have been taking Metformin once per day since april, was banded in Aug. My sugar levels have been perfect. My GP's office called me to come and "discuss some test results" a few weeks ago........turns out doc wanted to congratulate me on my excellent numbers. He promised that I will be off the metformin by April !! WoooHoooo

I'm definitely on the flip side from the rest of you. My sugars were completely normal for my entire life as a morbildy obese person, as well as my cholesterol. After I dropped 75 lbs with my band, BOOM, type II diabetes set in and my cholesterol rose along side it. I definitely couldn't control it with diet alone, I was on Metformin/Avandia and that wasn't enough, so now I'm on long-acting insulin as well as Metformin (dropped the Avandia) and Lipitor. My doctors are baffled, I've since lost another 30 pounds and I've become more and more insulin resistant. I hate hate HATE diabetes, it's like an annoying monkey on my back constantly. My docs figure it was something that would have happened whether I was fat or not, whether I lost a hundred pounds or not, it's genetics in my case. What a pisser :wink2:

Hi: Becareful with Lipitor. It is a very common HB pill but when my doctor put me on it, I spent 6 days in hospital unable to breathe. We found out later that a very rare reaction to Lipitor can cause breathing difficulties. I was taken off he drug and I no longer have a problem. I would certainly check out the drugs you are on in the event you are having an allergic reaction to them. Some forms of rare reactions are not printed in the general handout but are in the medical books.< /p>

I have type II also - unfortunately I guess I wasn't banded soon enough. The reason it was discovered was through TLBCs standard pre-op tests, so kudos to them. Shocker though, timing is everything!

I was put on Metformin x4 per day, Lipitor x1, and Diamicron x2. I was just banded in September, and started the meds late November. I am down 25 pounds since Labour Day. Last weekend I took myself off half the Diamicron, so I only have it in the morning now. I did this because I have been having trouble keeping my blood sugar HIGH enough! Another shocker! So now that's my big problem, keeping it high! lol I never would have believed that three months ago when I saw 24 on the glucometre, but it keeps dropping into the 3s lately. I've had to start carrying sugar candies, glucose tablets and juice boxes with me. I'm going to have to lower the meds again if this keeps up, as low BG readings are more immediately dangerous than high. My two-week average is currently 5.9 - 6.0. For sure losing 10% of my body weight has a lot to do with it. My goal is to be drug free.

My diabetes educator/dietician wants me to go on one small shot of insulin a day. She says they used to use insulin as a last course, but it is being used as front line now because it works so well. I'm thinking about it.

I would definitely get banded again tomorrow, and certainly especially with the Auzzie findings. I do worry that they use the word "cured", even the Globe & Mail did - my understanding is there is no cure for DM2, only remission.

Cheers and good luck with your decision!

Before taking insulin, I sure a "h..." would decrease the metformin. It is the drug of first resort but can cause kidney damage. Also, Lipitor could be the culprit for increasing your sugar. Take a good look at the all the side effects of your drugs before going on insulin. By taking a look I mean actually going into a medical book that lists all the side effects. I was put on Lipitor and spent 6 days in hospital before someone (me) read the medical book and found that severe allergic reactions is difficulty in breathing. Just a caution from one that has been there Doddie

I was banded 12/3 and told to cut all my diabetes medications in half. I was taking 5 Metformin, 2 4mg Amaral, and 8 units of Insulin per day. A month later, my doctor took me off the Insulin. I am now having a problem with my blood sugar dropping way too low, so I am going to try dropping the Amaryl and see how it goes. So, the answer is yes! It works to help with diabetes.

I was taking huge amount of insulin. 150 units of 70/30 at night, 80 in the morning and 60 of short acting at each meal. I am now down to 25 at each meal, none in the morning or evenig. What a difference in how I feel too. I have lost 31 so I hope the next 31 takes me off the insulin. I also have periodic lows.

Great information, I am pre-op and was on Metaformin, for a couple of years, they upped it in the summer and I got really sick, gave me what I call "projectile number II" really awful, Had to stay home and afraid to go out. It came on within a few seconds then bam. I was taken off it and on something else now Glyburide and it's working much better. My PCP thinks that I can reverse the Type II with the lap band and he's very supportive.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 a couple of years before banding. My primary Dr. had me try diet and exercise and then started me on Actos, which did a good job of keeping everything in check. My surgeon told me that my last dose of Actos would be on my day of surgery, and he was correct. I stopped taking it that morning.

I'm coming up on two years since banding and my daily numbers are great, mornings anywhere from 80-100 and it just continues from there. Of course now I beginning to see low numbers when I forget to eat because I'm not hungry. Nothing like seeing 72-75 on the meter and wondering where that came from.