Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

I won't be able to meet Saturday either. DH and I are doing a yard sale with the youth from church. So we will be really busy. Ya'll go ahead and meet though if it's good for ya'll. I'm sure I'll be able to make one sooner or later, lol.

I am 14 days postop, and at my followup a week ago, Dr. B told me to add foods in carefully, and that the band would let me know if I ate something I shouldn't. I have tried to be careful and mostly stuck to Soup, mashed potatoes, and full liquids. I admit, I have experiemented two or three times with firmer foods and chewed like the devil, and everything went down just like normal.

Today I tried eggs for supper. It was a disaster. I called the emergency line and they told me not to worry - the nurse who answered said she wretched the whole first three weeks after her surgery.

My concern is this - she was giving me a couple of tips that sounded appropriate for the beginning of the full liquids stage - soupy mashed up bean soup, watered down mashed potatoes. Her advice seemed to be much more conservative than Dr. Bagnato's. I have been anticipating a beach trip this week, thinking I would be able to handle soft fish.

Am I moving too fast? Anybody else in this situation?

They were real conservative when I called too and in fact were quite surprised when I told them he had moved me on to the next stage at a week post op. But I'm sure they are trained in the usual stage process. I think Dr. B listens to his patients and moves them up as he sees fit. Not alot of surgeons will do that. I would give your tummy a few days to rest and then slowly add things. It will only take once for you to know if soft fish is too much for you. Just go slow and chew well and give yourself a minute or so between bites. If you get it stuck, then go back to a softer diet for a while. Its a learning process. I think thats true for every person on here. You could always blend up the fish if you wanted to. The concept gives a nasty picture in my head but I remember it tasted damn good at the time when I ate it!

I am getting really depressed about the egg incident (posted earlier).

I worry I am trying to go too fast, tho Dr. B said go along carefully and the band would tell me if I ate something wrong. So far I have tried out mashed potatoes, crab cake, half a lemon square (got caught at a reception, it was the softet thing there), chicken (which did NOT work) and soft, finely chopped pork. Everything except the chicken went down just fine. And then the egg tonight.

I am worried I am doing too much, too fast. Does anybody else live in fear of stretching the pouch, causing a slip, or otherwise screwing this up? How can I advance my diet without worrying so much?

This is really getting to me.

oneder woman

I have never really been able to eat eggs. It's the only food I thought I was going to PB, but luckily I didn't. I suggest staying away from them, at least for now. I would also stay away from solid meats right now to. I know I was probably too cautious, but it's really important that you give yourself time to heal.

Mia is right though, people move at different rates. I was one of those that had to extend my clear liquid phase post op by a whole week almost. I am sorry you had that experience. I would just try to be extra cautious from now on.

Don't let it get you down though. This band is a learning game and it takes time to know what you can and cannot eat.

I know I told ya'll about my rough weekend of being sick on and off. I have been fine all day, except for just feeling exhausted, and now my chills and fever has come back. I can't figure out what in world is wrong with me and what could be causing this. My face feels like it is on fire.

I am definitely going to the doctor in the morning and I have to take my son too. He has been coughing and acting like his throat is sore, and to top it off, I think he may have staph infection too. He got bitten by some ants the other day and I have been so careful by cleaning it often and putting Bacatrycin on it, just as a precaution. One of the bites has a hard knot under it and I can tell it's really bothering him.

Mine is actually getting better, the knot has decreased in size and it doesn't hurt anymore.

I don't know, but this is the 3rd day my fever has spiked.

I'll let ya'll know how the doctor's visit goes. I just pray I'm wrong about my son...

Onder woman, try not to worry and just go slowly. I can tell you that I was moved to mushies about 4 days out and then on to soft foods a week from that. I progressed really quickly and never had any trouble. Of course, I didn't try eggs either...lol. I hate eggs and cannot get them down period. I would stick to fish and softer foods like Pasta, Soups, potatoes and the like. I know it isn't exactly lower carb, but you are still healing. I'd stay away from anything fried or spicy. Not sure how the crab cake was prepared, but that could give you some trouble. Anyway, take care!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Leslie - Do you think your DH might be having some issues with the surgery? I know my DH had some trouble wrapping his head around things in the beginning, and it created lots of tension between us. We talked it through and all is okay now, but he may be having some issues with that. Or is this normal behavior for him? Either way I hope you are feeling better soon. I am like you and am so used to turning to food when I'm having those days, and it is a transition for us. We need to train ourselves to turn to exercise or something!

I had a great NSV today. I tried on a dress, a skirt and sweater and a pair of capris I couldn't wear at all last summer and they both fit! The capris I have been steadily trying on since Mark and I can finally wear them. That felt awesome because the scale just isn't moving much for me lately. But evidently, I am having some progress!

Allykat - I don't think DH has a problem with the band. I hope your DH has gotten better with his perception and it isn't causing more tension between the two of you. I came to the realization last night that I am just an emotional rollercoaster. It is like I have PMS x 10! I usually take everything to heart, but lately it has been so much worse. I guess it is just my hormones adjusting. I find myself snapping at everyone for nothing and I'm in tears (and I am not one to cry at the drop of a hat) all of the time. I hope my body adjusts soon or they'll need to admit me into Bedlam!

Congrats on your NSV! Are you measuring yourself? I am going to try to at least once a month on anniversary date. I have gone a week or two and yo-yo with my weight, then boom 5 pounds gone. The inches are steadily dropping though. It is so strange.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I am getting really depressed about the egg incident (posted earlier).

I worry I am trying to go too fast, tho Dr. B said go along carefully and the band would tell me if I ate something wrong. So far I have tried out mashed potatoes, crab cake, half a lemon square (got caught at a reception, it was the softet thing there), chicken (which did NOT work) and soft, finely chopped pork. Everything except the chicken went down just fine. And then the egg tonight.

I am worried I am doing too much, too fast. Does anybody else live in fear of stretching the pouch, causing a slip, or otherwise screwing this up? How can I advance my diet without worrying so much?

This is really getting to me.

I worry too about messing up my band. I guess that is why I am so conservative with eating. I still process most of my foods up before eating them. I'm sure that I should be progressed to softer foods, but I worry. I'm a worry wort anyway. My advice (though I'm still in the stage you are in) is to listen to your body and take things slow. I tried eggs too and couldn't eat them.

I just called to try to get back in to get my cc back and Malik says she has nothing until Mid June- well I have an appt for june 8th but I need a fill now- Leslie told me I could come back in two weeks and get my cc back if I needed it and now they won't even squeeze me in. I thought this was going to get better???? Anyway- if anyone is planning on cancelling their May appt PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me have a shot at it.

Thanks,

Mia

I just called to try to get back in to get my cc back and Malik says she has nothing until Mid June- well I have an appt for june 8th but I need a fill now- Leslie told me I could come back in two weeks and get my cc back if I needed it and now they won't even squeeze me in. I thought this was going to get better???? Anyway- if anyone is planning on cancelling their May appt PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me have a shot at it.

Thanks,

Mia

Unless I somehow drop about 4 lbs. between now and next Tuesday, I'm keeping mine for 5/20. I'd really hoped to cancel, but the scale keeps wobbling between the same two pounds!

Thanks,

Mia

Mia, I have an appt on May 24th. I'm not sure if I am going to go yet. I will definitely let you know if I decide to cancel.

Well, my son and I went to the doctor this morning and he does have staph infection again. I have been disinfecting my house AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. This is just ridiculous! We can't seem to get rid of it!

I've been doing everything I can think of to get rid of this stuff. I have a daily routine of disinfecting like spraying door knobs, wiping down counters, toilet, toys, cell phones, computer mouse and keyboard. Not to mention washing our hands at least 10 times a day. I have definitely turned into a germaphobic....

The doctor seems to think I have a viral flu-like bug that's going around. It causes fever, fatigue, sore and achy muscles, and sore throat. I have felt good most of the day, but I don't know if I will get the fever again tonight. It seems like clockwork....every night around 11:00 or 12:00 it starts. Maybe it's over.

Anyway, sorry to vent but it seems like my family is ALWAYS sick and it gets old. Thanks for listening.

Georgia;

Sorry to hear about the re-occurance of staph. It's really hard to kick! When I had it, my doctor suggested changing the bed linen everyday and using chlorine bleach on towels. At the time, I just switched to white sheets and towels. And you may already be doing this, but I just thought I'd mention it. Yeah I know, it can be a real drag. I hope you guys feel better soon. Take care.