Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

Pamela,

It is very normal to feel depressed when you feel as though your body has let you down. Hang in there, do what your doc says and think positive thoughts!

Pamela, I am so sorry! I was really worried about MRSA when I had my spot lanced last year, but "luckily" it was just plan old staph. Please take care of yourself and follow directions from your doctor to the tee. We had two people at my work that were infected with it following surgery, and both had quite an ordeal and a long recovery. There is really no telling where you picked it up. My DH is a firefighter and it went through their department a year ago (which was why we thought I had it). You can get over it, but it takes some time to kick MRSA's butt completely.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Okay - it is official...I'm Starving! My hunger has returned full force. I go back to Dr. B on Thursday (literally counting the hours). Please, please, please let me have some mushies...I've been a good girl and stuck to what I am supposed to, but I am having some wicked cravings. Things I usually don't want. Not enjoying living in liquid hell.

Pamela:

You have pulled a muscle in your shoulder/neck and you have bacterial cooties. You are wondering why you are down? You are sick, mama. Being sick is not exactly a time of joyous celebration and laughter. However, please know that we all are praying for you and hoping that you get well very soon. Take those antibiotics like you are directed. Do NOT stop them just cuz things look better or you feel better. That is how a resistant bug gets more resistant. And msot importantly, jsut rest and heal.

All you got were muscle relaxers for your pulled muscle? As you can tell by my posts, I am a big advocate of pain control. I don't believe in drugging people to the gills, but i know for a fact (here is my science/medical nerd showing herself) being comfortable when you are sick speeds recovery and believe it or not helps you mentally. Being in pain has a negative mental toll on you and it will cause you to get a lil' depressed. i am not trying turn peopel into junkies, but with the stage at which medicine has developed there is no reason for anyone to be in pain.

Mama Brina has left the building. Sorry about my bout of preaching, but ya'll may as well get used to it. I have only known most of you for a few months, but that is long enough for me to consider you like family. You should not have made me feel so comfortable and welcome here. I am talking wearing a plaid shirt with a hole in it (by the boob or armpit) and some striped boxers with mix matched socks kinda comfortable.

Leslie-

Tell Dr. B that you are hungry and would like to see about starting mushies- He moved me up to mushies one week post op and I had no problem getting them down.. Have you tried testing out really thinned out Soups yet? I usually to blend up a Soup with a little skim milk to test after fills to see I'm ok to move on to the next level. It might help you feel a little fuller, shoot terri an email and ask her if that is OK- Tell her you are hungry. Also try some gatorade to see if it helps you 'feel' like you have more energy...Liquids tend to zap me really bad.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Mia - I haven't tested anything yet. Honestly I've been afraid to. I am terrified of anything coming back up on me. I look forward to my Flintstone Vitamins just to have something to chew! I savor each one. I've been doing the gatoraide. My energy is good in the mornings, but the afternoons I seem to tank. I've been daydreaming this afternoon of a cot behind my desk...wouldn't it be lovely.

Leslie, definitely talk to Dr. B. I did not handle liquids well AT ALL and he moved me to mushies and softs after one week, too. Drink some Gatorade, too...it will help your electrolyte balance. Hang in there!

Leslie,

Can you chew gum? Will that help w/ the urge to chew thing? Or do like that guy on the Sex and the City ep when they went to LA - chew up regular food, then spit! (ick!)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I really don't know what I would do without you guys.

Brina- You never cease to amaze me. Here I am feeling depressed and you manage to make me laugh. Thank you, I really needed it.

My doc did not prescribe any pain meds. I've been taking 600 mg of Motrin 4 times a day. Honestly, I do not like the way prescription pain meds make me feel. They make me feel pretty loopy. I probably wouldn't have taken them anyway if he had prescribed them. I take care of my son all day long and especially don't like taking them with him around.

Thanks again everyone.

Pamela

One tip with the Mrsa is to be sure you use bleach on all of your washclothes and towels after when you wash them. My dad had it a couple of years ago and had a hard time getting rid of it, they had nice colored towels and mom wsn't using bleach. She started using white towels and bathclothes and a little bleach in each load and he has had no more problems. I hope you feel better soon.

Leslie

I had to laugh when i saw the gum suggestion, don't be like me.

For all of you that i did not call in a panic yesterday I swallowed a piece of gum. It stuck and i freaked out, i was in some kind of pain. Called Malik and she said to be really careful and take small sips of thin liquids until i felt it had passed, sure enough after a few hours it passed and my pain stopped. So i guess the moral of this story is be very careful when you are chewing gum, don't act like a 2 year old and swallow it :lol:

Jeannie-

I read on this forum from a girl who had swallowed a piece of gum and had it stuck for FOUR days!!!! I have been REALLY cautious with gum ever since reading that. Good thing yours passed quickly!!

Leslie- Definately let Dr. B know what's going on- luckily he listens to his patients and often lets them progress. There are MANY dr's who are very strict about the phases.

Pamela- Keep taking care of yourself and let us know how it goes. I usually am pretty strict about handwashing as is, but TODAY I bet I have washed my hands every hour on the hour, lol!

Mia

I read that too, i think that is why i freaked out. It was pretty painful and i know the lady that i was talking to on the phone when i did it thought she had called the mental ward instead of the post office. My band is pretty tight as it is now and when i realized i had swallowed the gum all i could think was they were either going to have to take all my fill out and i would have to start over, or they would have to do surgery to get it out. I know i am a drama queen but it really scared me.

Leslie;

Perhaps you can call Terri and ask if you can have slim-fast. As a matter of fact, I had surgery on a Friday and was allowed slim-fast on Monday. Dr. B. said to feel hungry that soon after means your swelling is going/gone and healing is quicker. That was a good thing, but that crazy feeling in my tummy and head was hard to deal with. The Protein in the slim-fast made it so much easier. (20 grams)

Pamela:

Like Mia, I have been very aware of everything I touch lately. I guess people are starting to think I'm some kind of phobic. The crazy lady using the daily defense every time she opens a door!!! Feel better soon. (I'm giving you a great big cyber hug right now)

Here's a question - what's the post-op followup procedure w/ Dr. B? I am having surgery 4/28 and my husband has to out of town the week of May 13. I am trying to figure out if I will be able to go w/ him or if I will need to stay home due to appts. or due to not being well enough yet. Any input would be great!

thanks

p.s. jbrad - be careful w/ that gum!!!