Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

Question on life after the fill....does it get easier? I was moved to solid food earlier than usual, and that brings with it all of the old temptations. I've had to rely on will power, which obviously sucks or I wouldn't be in this situation! So while I know I'll probably always live with a bit of a food monkey on my back, does it get easier to actually stick to something? Right now I can eat anything and have zero restriction. I get filled next week. Is it going to be easier to "just say no" soon?

Well, there's no turning back now. I went to PMC and had all my preop stuff done and wrote all those big checks. It was weird, when I got there they told me Dr. B had not ordered an EKG or chest xray for me, tho he does for all his patients. They went ahead and did one, but I am wondering why it wasn't ordered.

Mostly it was painless, took about 70 minutes. I am a hard stick, so that was a pain. They had to stick me twice, but that is much less than usual.

Also, I peeked at my EKG and it said something I didn't understand that kind of freaked me out. :thumbup: So now I have to worry about that.

ah, well, I think I shall have a small pity party, then try to 'man up,' as they say. Hope all y'all are well.

Question on life after the fill....does it get easier? I was moved to solid food earlier than usual, and that brings with it all of the old temptations. I've had to rely on will power, which obviously sucks or I wouldn't be in this situation! So while I know I'll probably always live with a bit of a food monkey on my back, does it get easier to actually stick to something? Right now I can eat anything and have zero restriction. I get filled next week. Is it going to be easier to "just say no" soon?

Don't be surprised if this first fill doesn't do much for you. It took me four fills to feel any restriction that lasted over a week. Even now with 7.5cc's I can tell that my restriction is lessoning some. But definately once you get good restriction you just won't be /able/ to eat a lot of any food. All it will take is once of you going over just a teency bit and your band is 'just gonna say no' for ya girl. So hang in there and I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get great restriction on your first fill =)

Even now with 7.5cc's I can tell that my restriction is lessoning some.

Does anybody know why this happens? I have looked on the FAQ boards and other obvious places w/ no luck.

Does anybody know why this happens? I have looked on the FAQ boards and other obvious places w/ no luck.

Oneder:

Congrats on getting your pre-op done!! As for the restriction, as you lose weight, the stomach gets smaller resulting in less restriction. Some of the fill evaporates over time as well, again; less restriction. This is what I was told by Elizabeth at the OTC. Not to worry. Once you reach that 'sweet-spot' where you're losing the two pounds per week, your restriction may lessen, but won't be completely gone. Though I can eat more at times, I haven't been able to eat the same volume of food as pre-band. And that was true for me even without a fill.

Yep- BAmboobabe hit it on the head- while my restriction is less at times, I can eat NO WHERE NEAR- what I used to pre-band. An example since I'm sure we have all dieted till we are dead- I used to eat a lean cuisine when dieting and think this little bit of food wouldn't fill a mouse up- Now I'm lucky to be able to eat half of a lean cuisine meal at one sitting most days. Some days I can eat the whole thing but am stuffed beyond belief. And we all know there isnt enough food in those tiny little meals for anything. In the morning times I do good to get my shakes down. Now around lunch and especially at supper I can eat just fine. Last night for supper I made meatloaf since my DF was off of work and its his favorite. I was able to eat a little more of it than I thought I should've been but it was still WAY less than I'd ever have eaten. Now that my band has helped me get my portions down I wish there was a mechanism to make me LOVE exercise. LOL!

Hey everyone!

Well, I got a small fill today (.25cc) for a total of 6.75 now. I am happy that the OTC has upped the amount of fills allowed per year from 6 to 9. I feel better about getting such small fills now.

Will ya'll please keep me in your prayers? I went to my primary doctor today and he's pretty sure I have staph infection. I have in on my upper leg (thigh area), inside my nose (left side of face is really swollen and sore), and a couple of small spots on my face. They had to lance the spot on my leg and take a culture to send off for testing. I'm pretty miserable right now.

My 2 year old son got staph when he was about 20 months old from some shots he received at the hospital. He finally got rid of it, then my dad must have got it from my son. My dad finally got rid of his, now I have it. It's pretty painful so please keep me in your prayers. I'm going to have to stop the exercising for a bit because the spot on my leg is really bothering me when I walk. I'm so disappointed about that because I just got back into the swing of exercising again. Anyway, just thought I would let you guys know. Thanks for listening.

Hello everyone:

When ya'll said that Elizabeth and Malik are fantastic you were not kidding. Both of them are hilariouis and two of the sweetest people that I have ever met.

I had my first fill on 4/9 (wednesday). I will not lie, worry wart that I am, I was waiting for her to try to find my port and be forced to break it to me that something horribly tragic and weird had happened (like not only had it flipped, but it had migrated to my armpit or something). However, my inner pessimist was force to sit there and endure a fantastically pleasant visit.

I had not idea what kind of band that Dr. B placed in me. Elizabeth was sweet enough to actually show me what my band looked liek ( I have the 10 cc one) and what some of ther older ones look like too. ICK. i see why the older ones had so much trouble.

I also learned something interesting. When she pulled back to see if there was any Fluid in my band, she said that she got 2.0 ccs. I did not know that they put fluid in teh band at surgery. Then again, i know that Dr. B probably had to test the band before he inserted it to make sure it inflated properly and all that. It may have jsut been residual saline. Either way, i had 2.0cc already in and Elizabeth added 2.0 more ccs.

The only thing that disappointed me about my visit is learning that people are so careless about their appointments. I remember all the discussions on this forum about how difficult it was to get an appointment if you thought you needed an early fill. The day that I was there there was one cancellation and TWO NO SHOWS. Malik was upset at one of the no shows becasue she was an add on and this was her second time not showing up without calling. I was so mad. I so wanted to ask Malik to give me that person's phone number so this person and i could have a chat. PS. FYI, most people don't like to chat when my inner angry black lady comes out.

I am back on the Phase I and II hell foods again for three days. Double ick. I realize that I keep comparing what i eat now to what i ate after i had jsut got banded. Mind you, I am comparing my "normal" diet to week 2 when i could barely eat anything. As a result, I kept feeling like like I had been eating liek a pig!! Then I had to make myself realize that since I have been banded, i have been eating NOTHING near what i used to be able to eat..and eating so mcuh healthier..and LIKING it! i was so waiting for Elizabeth to tell me that i was back to my original weight (or gained weight..see Mrs. Pessimist coming out again). however, i found out I had lost two additional pounds.

:: insert big girl booty shake dance of joy..right..about..now ::

What?:redface::huh2: I lost two additional pounds in spite of the fact that I throw montly birthday parties at work involving two of my seven deadly sins..cake and icecream. yes. ::stands up proudly and shouts it out in a mega phone::..I do eat small amounts of both. But i know my limits, control my portions, and it is occasional..as opposed to what i used to do (i.e conveyer belt from the cake to my mouth..and the off switch was broken)

I left the office feelin pretty fantastic.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well - today was my banding day. I had to be at the hospital at 7:30. After bawling my eyes out in my room, and the nurse doing everything she coud to calm me down. I really don't know why I was crying. I have no rational explanation. I was wheeled into the PreOp/PostOp surgery area.

The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me and ask me questions. He was adjusting the tubing in my IV and TRIPPED on it upon getting something to calm my hysterics. My IV ripped out and blood started pouring everything. All I said was, "Oh Shoot (insert curse word here)". He turned around and freaked a bit (bizzare but calm freaking out). He started applying pressure to the spot and told the nurse to get another one and to come help stop the bleeding. Of course the ninny I am (body wise) - had problems getting another stick. He did it himself - took two times but finally got it going. So now I have two lovely bruised hands - the swelling is finally going down somewhat.

Dr. B. came in and asked where I'd been - said he thought I was in the OR and was looking for me. I told him we had a little accident. The nurses are now referring to my anethesiologist as BIG FOOT...Poor man - I really did feel sorry for him.

I finally got the calming drug - man that stuff was good. Next thing I know I'm being wheeled into the OR and I'm out like a light. I woke up in post op, just looked around and wondered where I was. The next time I woke up I was back in my room and my husband and parents were there. This was around 11:30. I was up and about afterward. I got home about 2:00.

I've tried to rest most of the day. I was able to eat a popsicle, sip on Water and a little bit of gatoraide. The chicken Soup tasted like crap. I think it is the awful taste of anesthesia in my mouth that is making everyting taste like crap. The popsickle was the best thing I've had all day.

Well I'm going to go get some more rest. Rolling over is the hardest - I can't seem to get comfortable. I know in a few days I"ll be feeling better - I keep remind myself it will only get better from here. I have to go back on the 17th and my first fill is sometime in May.

Georgia;

Glad you were able to get a fill. Seems like Elizabeth is creeping up your restriction at this point. I had to get a slight unfill after the last one of 1cc, and she said from now on it will only be considerably less. Now I see what she means. Hope you feel better soon. I had staph last year when returning from a Cruise. Doc had to cut it out and then I had this round of very powerful anitbiotics, as I was doing everything possible not to end up in the hospital. After all, it's most prevalent there. Get some rest and take care of yourself.

Brina;

Isn't it just wonderful to continue having great experiences after having been so afraid of the unknown? Congrats on the two pound loss. You are well on your way!!! I only had 1cc left in my band at surgery, as I didn't really do a pre-op diet and Dr. B. wanted to make sure that I didn't experience any discomfort. All was well.

I can definitely relate to the ice cream fetish. ( Not that big on cake) But these days I've traded my Blue Bell pistachio almond for Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (140 cals.) It's such a treat at the end of the day when I find that I have a calorie deficit (thedailyplate.com) and can indulge.

BTW, I simply love reading your posts! You have such a way with words. Good luck with your three days of liquid hell!!!:sad_smile:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Georiga Girl - I hope that you get to feeling better soon and that your staff infection will clear up. I'll keep you in my prayers. God and I have been pretty tight the last 24 hours :-)

Thanks ladies! I'm having a hard time sleeping because of all the pressure in my nose and face and my leg is soooo sore. Not only did they have to lance it, they had to pack it with sterile gauze. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I hope things are better in a couple of days.

Leslie- I'm glad your surgery went well and you are home recovering nicely. Take it easy and I hope you have a quick recovery.

Brina- I'm glad your first fill went well. Hope you can tell a difference when you start eating again. That upsets me too about the no shows. It would have taken me over a month to get scheduled for a fill if I had not gotten that cancelled appointment. What's wrong with people?

Pamela:

I will keep you in my prayers sweetie. Staph can be a scary persistent little joker so you take care of yourself honey. You have the rest of your life to exercise, just get healthy so you can be rid of this.

Leslie- I am so glad your surgery went well and you are fine! I am so sorry the IV incident happened to you, it made me shudder just reading it. IV's and me are rivals- but I try to remember they bring the 'good drugs' and I likes me some them, lol. Take it easy and rest, in a few days you'll be back to your old self again!

Brina-

Congrats on the two pound loss girl! Coming through bandster hell that is EXCELLENT!!!

I was down another pound this morning!!! Its coming off slow but at least IT'S COMING OFF!!! I'm about to go work out for the morning since my lazy tail has avoided it for 3 days now. Have a great day everybody!