Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

Mia;

Glad you're doing well. Sorry for the six pounds. It's hard enough when we're feeling 100% to stay on plan. I do like your optimistic attitude, as it will be your saving grace. The exercise has really been a great help for me this week because I've had a few rough days.

So let us know how it goes.

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but here goes.

When I was doing research about the Lap-Band, I looked on the internet for live videos of the procedure being done, and I watched the whole thing. It made me feel more confident about having the surgery, and it answered many of my questions before I attended Dr. Bagnato's seminar. When I did ask questions, Dr. Bagnato could tell that I'd seen the surgery being done--I would imagine most surgeons feel better operating on an informed patient.

I would recommend that everyone who is thinking about this surgery watch a video about what goes on in the operating room; I know it helped me psychologically when I came out of recovery because I knew what to expect.

Here are links to examples of what I watched:

Brigham and Women's Hospital

Hartford Hospital

The only difference between these procedures and the one that Dr. B does is that he places the port in the upper left chest area; the doctors in these videos place the port in the abdomen. Apparently accessing the port (sorry, Mia) is easier when it's in the upper chest.

Holly

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well - I had my assessment with Dr. B yesterday. Other than those dreaded words, which I knew were coming, "You have a BMI of 42"...it went pretty well. It wasn't fun to read the letter send to my insurance carrier either - The MORBIDLY OBESE part really caught my attention. I mean - I know I am fat and unhealthy, and am at the appointment for a reason...but just seeing that in print really made me realise that I am making the right decision. I am a bit nervous waiting for my insurance approval (keepin my fingers crossed). I spoke with my dad yesterday too for the first time (my co-pay backer). He asked how the appointment went - and of course then drilled me on "Are you going to stick to this speach" (I really hate that speach). After the father-daughter speach, he said he would support me any way he could - financially, emotionally. That really meant a lot to me(by the way, lovingly said, he is the cheapest person God put on this green earth). Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I'm a bit concerned about my DH. He made the comment last night that, "He hadn't decided if I was having the surgery or not". Quite frankly, this really pissed me off. I told him that it was my body and my decision and that I needed his support. Finally after a real good verbal fight and me huffing off to the bedroom and clean (my venting) - you always know when I am mad - you could eat off the floor...anway...and him going outside to "work on the lawnmower (again)"...he finally said that he was scared for me to have the surgery - he didn't want any complicaitons and lose me. I know I shouldn't be comforting him, but I need to make him understand.

Leslie, I'm glad to hear your appointment went well and that your dad is being so cool about supporting you. I really had no idea how important the support of your family would be until after I had the surgery.

On your DH, I would sit down and have some serious heart-to-hearts prior to surgery. My DH really wasn't in favor of it, something he really didn't come right out and say prior to the procedure. I knew he had doubts, so I sat down and just laid it all out...told him how much I weighed (he had no idea, the clueless sweet man!), how being this heavy makes me feel, what I hoped to achieve...I really think it helped him to get it, but it was still difficult with him right after.

I would recommend taking him with you to an appointment. DH didn't go with me prior to surgery, and the day of surgery, he was really weird. He ended up being a little freaked out by the port in my chest, the incision, and just the idea that 'something' was in me. He went to my follow up with me and I think that helped him a lot. In his mind, he still loves me the way I am and I know he wishes I wouldn't have had the surgery, but he did seem to get it so much better after that appointment.

I hope it all works out for you and that he truly "gets it"!

As for me....I haven't been around much. I was out of town this weekend for my daughters dance competition. They both did great and all their numbers scored platinum and high gold awards. They also qualified for nationals in July. Kameron from "So You Think You Can Dance" was one of their judges and a workshop instructor, so they were pretty excited to meet him.

It was a great trip, but my eating was horrible while out of town. I am struggling to eat healthy right now. I had eliminated most carbs from my diet, but had to go off that when I was on liquids and softs. Now that I am eating regular food, it is hard to turn away from those nasty carbs again, but I know I have to do it. I'm bummed that I haven't lost any more weight, but I guess I should just be glad I didn't gain either.

Anyway, I am feeling down in the dumps today. TOM is here and I'm home with a sick child.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Ally - thanks for the post. I think I'm going to try to get him to come to my next appointment. He too keeps asking about the "port" - he seems fixated on it. He did attend the seminar with me, kicking and screaming, but was glad that he went. He was so supportive until last night. Congrats about the dance competition. My girls took dance for three years, up until this year. They are wanting to restart this fall. Don't worry about your gain or off weekend...after all TOM - I always have gained (on past WW). Thanks again.

For those of us meeting at zaxby's tomorrow- I will be there after my fill - My cell is 229-798-2776 so call me if something comes up!! Look forward to seeing you all!!

Hi all!

I just wanted to let you know that three of us ended up meeting at lunch today, Mia, Holly and myself. We had a great time and wished more of yall could havemade it. We have to all get together soon! Take care!

Hello everyone:

I would ahve loved to meet with ya'll today, but i have the funkiest shedule. Either I work from 8pm-5am, 530am-12pm or 3am-12pm.

:: insert dramatic sigh here ::

Yay me. Brina, princess of the night shift and varying schedule.

And the worst part of it is that i stay less than a mile from Palmyra Hoapital and Dr. B's office. If you are talking about the Zaxby's on Slappey Blvd, I could have walked there.

The next time you guys meet up, i am gonna try to attend. Heck, I wanted to attend this time. I will see how it goes. I am very thrilled that you guys had a chance to meet. I am sure you had a blast.

As I say this, i am squishing the little bit of jealousy that i was unable to attend. :embaressed_smile:

I hope to be able to meet when the next social event (i had to say "social event" so that it could imply that I have a social life, so just humor me) is planned.

How is everyone doing? I think I am doing well. I have no idea of my weight at this point. I do not think that i am gaining anything, but I dont think that I am losing anythign either. I will occasionally weigh myself at home, but I really dont trust my scale here at home. The scalle seems to tell em that I am still at the post op weight loss of -15lbs. I am NOT complaining by any means, but I cant get happy until i know that my scale is not playing with my emotions. i am generally an emiotinally stable person, but when it comes to my weight i am as stable as the stock market or gas prices. At times it is right on point with Dr. Bs scale and then other time the thing is a bloody blue blazin liar. I think it does that to see if it can finally snap my last nerve.

Can you just walk into teh obesity clinic and get weighed or is an appointment required? I would like to know. I have never been to the obesity clinic and I don't have an appointment to go there until my first fil on April 9th.

Hollybelles -

That is a good idea about watching the surgery - I am all about being informed. However, I am pretty squeemish. It might freak me out so bad I chicken out! :embaressed_smile:

I am making my appt. for an assessment tomorrow.

Timing may be an issue for me regarding recovery. How long after your surgery were you guys back up and going? I have a thing coming up w/ work which will require a couple of days of public speaking in a row, preceded by some pretty intense prep, and wonder if I need to schedule the surgery after that.

Opinions?

Hi all!

I just wanted to let you know that three of us ended up meeting at lunch today, Mia, Holly and myself. We had a great time and wished more of yall could havemade it. We have to all get together soon! Take care!

I had a great time yesterday with you guys!! The time just FLEW by and before I knew it I was like holy crap, I have to get back to work all the way in Norman Park. We will have to do this again gals! It was so nice meeting you Jeannie and Holly!!

I am making my appt. for an assessment tomorrow.

Timing may be an issue for me regarding recovery. How long after your surgery were you guys back up and going? I have a thing coming up w/ work which will require a couple of days of public speaking in a row, preceded by some pretty intense prep, and wonder if I need to schedule the surgery after that.

Opinions?

I had surgery on a thursday and went back to work the following monday. The first day back at work I was still pretty tired, so I really wish I /had/ taken another day off from work but my job is not one where I can be out much. There is noone else to cover for me so if I'm not there it pretty much does not get done. Try to set your surgery up so that you have the weekend included in your recovery and you should be fine. Everyone is different though so keep that in mind. If you can't safely do a week if need be, I'd say wait till you could. I didn't have the week option no matter what I tried to swing so I just pushed through it but it was hard the first day back.

Oneder Woman - I went back to work on Tuesday after surgery on Wednesday. That first week, I was pretty weak, but that may have been due to the problems I had on the liquid diet (my glucose and electrolytes bottomed out and it was really making me feel freaky). By week 2, I was feeling perfectly fine and started exercising. I had to travel this past weekend for my daughters' dance competition, so I scheduled my surgery 2 weeks prior to that at Dr. Bagnato's advice so that I'd be 100% by then.

Brina - I haven't lost anymore weight either other than what I lost that first week after surgery. I actually went up 2 lbs. after eating regular foods again, and I'm fighting to get those back off. I keep telling myself that the band isn't really working for me yet without a fill, and I know at this point, it is all will power. I know how you feel though...we've been so up and down with our weight over the years that any movement on the scale is bound to screw with our emotions. We will get there!

Ladies - I'm glad you had fun at lunch yesterday! Wish I could have joined you but Albany is an hour from me and I had to work yesterday. I need to look up my date for my appt. at the Obesity Treatment Center and see if anyone else has an appointment around that time.

Brina

You can just walk into the Center to weigh. Just go by and sign in and there is a option for weight only. They don't want you to do it more than oncea week. I usually go by atleast once evvery other week. It iss great to be able to see the resuts and get motivated, they have a scale that can tell you everything you could want ot know about your weight.

We missed you at lunch the other day and actually mentioned how great it would be to have more of yall from here to meet up with us. We have to do it soon!!!! Take care.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hey girls! I know I'm new to the board, but I would have loved to have met with ya'll too. I went and caught the flu and a nasty upper respiratory infection...finally feeling better today. yea...plus got the call from Terri that my insurance has approve me! WooHoo! They are having to fax Dr. B a PPO letter, so as soon as Terri has that I can schedule my surgery. I am very excited and to be honest more than a little scared.

Leslie

YEAH!!! They approved you really fast! I know you are a little nervous but it is really a easy surgery to recover from. I am so excited for you. Take care!