Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Bread

Hello - I'm 5 weeks Post-Op and just last week I decided on having a slice of diet whole wheat bread toasted with egg salad and let me tell you it was delish I took very tiny bites and chewed it very, very well.... Not one problem at all. I was full and it lasted me hours (3-5) before I could eat dinner that evening. Just be careful when eating it and you should be ok. I did have some baked pita chips the other evening and that was a bad idea... Why??? because I didn't slow down to know I had enough of them since they tasted so darn good!!! I must have eatten about 7-8 of them and let me tell you they must have swelled fast with the Water I had drank 30 minutes prior. I didn't have pain bit I knew I was full, way overly full... So be careful what items you eat and how fast!! Hope this helps you out. Cynthia

I've read so many posts on this board about people that can't eat bread and how bad it hurts, that I'm afraid to try. I'm 10 weeks post op and haven't tried bread yet. I watched my son eat a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon the other day and was drooling. It looked so good, but I didn't even dare take a bite.

I AS WELL WAS AFRAID OF TRYING bread. THE GROCERY STORE IN MY TOWN MAKES MINI LOAVES OF WHEAT AND RYE. I DO OKAY WITH A SLICE OF THAT BUT I USUALLY TRY TOASTING IT. IF IT IS TO SOFT I FEEL LIKE I STRUGGLE GETTING IT DOWN, I ONLY HAVE 2CC IN A 10 CC BAND SO MY RESTRICTION STILL ISN'T REAL TIGHT. :redface:

I LOVE BREAD........but i HATE the horrid pain it causes me, feels like someone pressing down on my sternum with a brick with all their might. And my meal is ruined after that. Was a hard hard lesson to learn after many a painfull episode. Im filled to 9.6 in a VG 11 band and guess bread is no longer for me.

I haven't eaten bread in two years. One of the foods that I miss the most is a sandwhich. Gosh, I love them.

This is what I do to cope. Buy a french baguette, the ones that are hard long and skinny. I LOVE the miltigrain ones from Albertsons even though I typically prefer white bread... do yourself a favor and try it. Cut into very thin round slivers and dab with a bit of butter or garlic butter. Bake in your oven at 375 until they are crunchy like croutons. You can top them with chicken salad, tuna salad, hummus, etc. and it doesn't cause me any pain b/c they're so crunchy. Be sure to cook them long enough.

Hope someone gets to enjoy it!

I have not made it a regular habit to eat bread, but I have tried it with little problems. Both times were tasting some crusty french bread. I chewed very well, and had the equivalent of maybe 2 oz. at the most. I was way too filling, and prevented me from eating my Protein. Until my first fill, I am going to avoid it (other than a bite or two). It is just empty calories.

I can eat it, toasted, untoasted, I can eat a good part of a sandwich, but it IS a hard food to eat, and it does fill me very fast.

The good thing about it is I say full for HOURS. So although I really dont like sandwiches much as a meal (yawn) I eat them becuase they keep me full and I eat way less overall.

It helps of course if you're not a believer in the high Protein theories. I like my carbs and always will.

I could eat bread before I got decent restriction, probably up until my 3rd fill. Now? No way! In fact, it's my guage on whether or not I need a fill. If I can get bread down easily, I know I need a fill. Bread is my only no-no, though. I can eat anything else (pasta, rice, etc.) with no problem.

I eat bread, I always have. Immediately following my 2nd fill, it was really hard, and had to be toasted. But as soon as the super tight restriction eased I have been fine ever since.

I can take any bread at all, and toast it and eat it alone without issue. But to take a piece of soft white sandwich bread by itself and eat it, it almost always causes me to hurt some as it passes. If I take the same bread, toss a piece of lunchmeat, or a chicken strip in it, or even peanut butter---then I can eat it without issue. But I can only eat 1 slice---a foldover is my max. I think if I have the other type of food for my stomach to digest the bread with and help it pass without making a big ball of dough, I do fine.

I find the same issue with Pasta. To eat just a bowl of noodles with sauce, I might get 1/4 cup, and am miserably full. If I however eat some chicken with it--I do much better, without the miserable feeling! Somethng about the harder food helps me process it.

Kat

I'm like Lauren, bread is the only thing I can't handle. Pasta & rice I have no problem with. But every once in a while, even though my head and band say NO, I try to eat small pieces of bread.. and it gets stuck and I PB every time. Toasted, untoasted, buttered, decorated, or squished.. nada.