Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 1/18--feeling dizzy??

I'm brand new to band world, this is my first post, and though I thought I had done all my research I'm feeling a little uncertain at this point in post op recovery... I'm lightheaded, like I just got off a merry go round. Everything surgery wise is healing great. I'm not hungry at all... just fighting off this dizzy feeling (all day yesterday and woke up with it this morning). Any thoughts? Anyone else feel this? Boy it sure feels nice to know I'm not alone in this. This forum is amazing!!

I was banded on 1/17. Welcome!

How much nutrition are you getting in daily??

Just because you are not hungry doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat. Make sure you are following your post-op diet and are getting enough nutrients in.

I am also never or rarely hungry but I make sure to get my nutrition in. Albeit probably still not enough.

Hi Alldunn33,

I was just banded on the 22nd of this month. I would agree with everyone else that it sounds as though you're not getting enough nutrients or water; however, I am currently on my first week of post op diet, and all I can have is Clear liquids. So when folks are telling you "not enough nutrition," yet you can't eat anything but buillion Soup,Jello and popsicles (oh,and water), I don't see how the food thing can be remedied without going against doctors orders. Can anyone please clarify, because if I can eat something else, during this first week, it would be helpful to know.

Hi- I am having surgery next week and my doc told me that being lightheaded can come from an electrolyte imbalance (possibly dehydration) and that you can drink this new stuff called G2- it's Gatorade 2 and has all the electrolyte stuff without all the sugar, etc...give it a try and good luck!

Hi Alldunn33,

I was just banded on the 22nd of this month. I would agree with everyone else that it sounds as though you're not getting enough nutrients or water; however, I am currently on my first week of post op diet, and all I can have is Clear Liquids. So when folks are telling you "not enough nutrition," yet you can't eat anything but buillion Soup, Jello and popsicles (oh,and water), I don't see how the food thing can be remedied without going against doctors orders. Can anyone please clarify, because if I can eat something else, during this first week, it would be helpful to know.

Alldunn33,

I was banded on 1/18/08 and I totally understand where you are coming from except I am adding powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien powder (unflavored) to my broth's and soup's. You can order it online and it has 20grams of protien per scoop. I am still on my liquid but my doctor did not say strictly "clear" just anything you can easily suck through a straw. I'm having lo carb Slim Fast, broth with protien powder and making my own fruit smoothies with protien powder added. I feel great!

Hi Sorrows Child, i was just banded on the 23 of January just 2 days ago. My doctor has me eating the same as you except that I am also having 3 Protein Shakes a day. I am having a hard time getting them in as well as he wants me (for now) to be having 60 oz of Water. Well, it's 5:34 pm and i am about only 30 oz of water in. I did have some decaffinated tea which I believe counts toward that. It's not easy but I'll keep trudging along and trying to follow my doctors orders.

Dizziness can be caused by dehydration which can make your blood pressure drop, which means not enough fluids in a day or too much medication. You should contact your doctor because even at this early stage you still have loss a significant amount of weight which could result in a need for adjustment to any medication you are taking. Also, your bariatric surgeon should know because it might have something to do with the vagus nerve that runs next to your stomach. Hope you feel better...

Hi Alldunn33,

I was just banded on the 22nd of this month. I would agree with everyone else that it sounds as though you're not getting enough nutrients or water; however, I am currently on my first week of post op diet, and all I can have is clear liquids. So when folks are telling you "not enough nutrition," yet you can't eat anything but buillion Soup, Jello and popsicles (oh,and water), I don't see how the food thing can be remedied without going against doctors orders. Can anyone please clarify, because if I can eat something else, during this first week, it would be helpful to know.

Can't you add Protein powders to clear liquids - it is clear when you add them and they do have clear liquid Proteins - you can find them online and at GNC or most health food stores..

I guess I was lucky I was only on clear liquids the day of surgery - once i went home full liquids which included creamed Soups.

me too Alfie...I was banded on the 23rd....I am on clear's too,but I added a small jar of baby food mixed in w/my chicken broth...so good. It went down like liquid too.

I also just ate four saltine crackers really slow until they were pretty much like water...oh yeah and i am drinking lots of Water too...I know i should have more water, but i am moving in the right direction...Good luck to everyon here!

Hi Alldunn33,

I was just banded on the 22nd of this month. I would agree with everyone else that it sounds as though you're not getting enough nutrients or water; however, I am currently on my first week of post op diet, and all I can have is clear liquids. So when folks are telling you "not enough nutrition," yet you can't eat anything but buillion Soup, jello and popsicles (oh,and Gwater), I don't see how the food thing can be remedied without going against doctors orders. Can anyone please clarify, because if I can eat something else, during this first week, it would be helpful to know.

GNC sells clear Liquid Protein drinks.....ISOPURE....I think.

I was only on clear liquids for 2 days post-op...then back to my Optifast shakes until my 2 week post-op and then can add mushies....

Hope this helps a little bit.

Congrats on your band! My date was 1/17/08. I have been drinking Isopure, chicken broth, a little watery pudding, and thinned yogurt according to my doctor. I have been getting in a minimum of 48 oz over 12 or more hours and have not felt dizzy. You should call your dr soon. I think if we can get through the first two weeks life should get really good. Keep up the good spirits, it'll be worth it!:rolleyes2:

Hi, I'm new here, not banded yet. Surgery 2 B Feb.4th. My surgeon is Dr. David Rohrer. He's operated on me 3 times before so he knows my plumbing well. I 'm 63, live on a cattle ranch just outside Great Falls, Montana. I have 3 grand kids, 18, 4, & 2. I have no lap for my little ones to sit on, can't run and play with them, can hardly walk. I've got to be a big-time looser, current weight 280.

Is baby food in the chicken broth really considered clear liquids? Sounds wonderful. I'm on the pre-op diet (lost 10lbs!) VERY HUNGRY, I think. I don't want to get started on the wrong foot. Has anybody out there tried any unflavored Protein Powder that you really cannot taste? I tried Unjury and it tasted to me like a wet baby's diaper smells. The GNC 100% whey Protein is good--the chocolate&carmel and vanilla,

I'm really glad I found this forum. Best of luck to everyone!...

I too felt light headed and dizzy when I was on clears. I actually started drinking a Protein Shake 5 days earlier than I was supposed to. I felt SOOO much better but I found out today that my doctor wasn't pleased that I did that. I think I just couldn't function on the extremely low calories from the clear diet.