Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking and the band

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone was a smoker when they got banded and where they required to quit for a certain period of time before the surgery.

Thanks.

I had to quit, I knew I had to do it so I started about 8 weeks pre-op and don't know if they ever checked, I started up again 6 months post-op like a dummy but just got my new scrip for Chantix so here I go again. Good luck.

I was a smoker before I was banded and my doctor didn't say anything about quitting but I did quit the week before as smoking slows the healing process and all of the other reasons smoking is bad for us.

Good luck!

I tried to quit pre-op, but also started again post-op.

Soaplover-I have a scrip for the Chantix also but haven’t started it yet. Have you had any side effect using it?

Sadly, I starting smoking again after surgery too. My sister takes Chantix and the biggest side effect for her is gas! Like we need more of that. Of course, it would be worth it if we quit smoking.

I am currently on Chantix for the 2nd time. I quit a few months ago for about 3 weeks, but then quit taking the medication to early. Just wanted to know if it was my choice or if it was a requirement. Thanks.

Mr. Husker, no side affects for me, just makes me a little sick to my stomach when I first take the pill, but a real amazing medicine!

I was a smoker pre-op. I quit 2 weeks pre-op. I was self pay at $17,400. I got lapband to prolong my life. I can't see it being a waste to only die young of cancer or other smoking related morbidities. I say that now at a week post op. God help me to continue to believe in it!

Soaplover57,

Were you required to quit smoking in order to get your band?

Soaplover57,

Were you required to quit smoking in order to get your band?

Redd

It depends on your doc Yes with my doc ... - I was suppose to quit 6 weeks prior - but heck the time between my first visit and surgery was 6 weeks - I quit for about 10 days - then the friday before surgery started again - told them before surgery cuz i didn't want any problems - I still smoke - and my nurse knows it - they told me they would give me chantix when I was ready... I smoke about 1/2 pack a day.. I am not a 3 packer..

Oh my

For all of you who are serious about quitting. Please get your chantix. I was a smoker for 22 years. As of January 17 I am 1 year smoke free thanks to Chantix. I had no side effects from Chantix. NONE.

My doctor wanted us to quit before surgery, but never checked.

Thanks for the infor on the side effect of Chantix. Not looking forward to the extra gas (already sound like a fog horn), but I need to do this.

My doctor knew I was a smoker before surgery, I got the speech "smoking isn't good for you in alot of ways. Are you planning on quitting?" I told him I can only focus on so many things at one time, and right now weight loss was my goal.

So I smoked all the way up until I walked into the hospital for my surgery. Then I lit up as soon as I got to the car afterwards to go home (that cigarette tasted horrible, I think it had something to do with the anesthisia.) I haven't had any problems with healing.