Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Approved From Upstate NY

Hi everyone!!

I've been working with my surgeon for over a yr now to get approved for the lapband. I'm almost there!! I have to lose a few more pounds before the insurance will approve me. (strange.... I need the band surgery to lose weight, but the ins co requires me to lose weight before??? catch 22 eh?) well, I only have 2 pounds to go before I'm at their goal. I weigh in next wednesday. I'm glad to have found this site! Lots of good information. My mom (who I live with) is making me nuts sometimes about this. She's a food addict and is worried I won't be able to eat enough after the surgery (isn't that kinda the point??) Oye!!

About me: I'm 38, still live at home (my dad died a yr ago due to surgery complications). I have 2 dogs (one w/cancer) 4 cats and a few other critters. I work full time at a university fixing computers. I like to scuba dive and work on my outdoor pond and garden stuff.

Anyone in the area, I'd love to hear your experiences/plans!!

--Heather.

Well, I will admit: that is a FIRST that I've ever read--having to lose a certain amount of weight before they would approve surgery!! Will wonders never cease!

Anyway, good luck next Wednesday--I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Your Mom is just afraid she will no longer have her "partner in crime", (eating that is!).

You tell your Mom that SHE should consider joining you (or is she one of those lucky ducks whose metabolism wears off everything she eats?) I'm sure I'm her age and it was the greatest thing I've ever done for me in my life!

Welcome...:rolleyes2:

I have never heard of someone having to lose weight for this to be approved by their insurance. I have had the best insurance throughout this entire process. I am now scheduled for surgery Jan 31, 2008.....that is next week. I am a bit nervous, but I am excited all the same. I think that I will miss certain foods, but I can always have a small taste later on if I really feel the need.

Good luck with your approval and getting started!

I started this at 240. The ins co wants me at 224.6 to approve the surgery. I'm at 226.5. BCBS is what I have. I have no clue why they would require you to lose to have the surgery!!

Hello.I'm from Liverpool NY I have all my pre op tests done.I'm just waiting to see my Doc again.I was suppose to see him Tues.But the appt.had to be changed cause of him.Now I don't see him til Feb.5th.I am so anxious to get a date.I've been waiting to see him to get everything sent in to insurance.:lol:

Where do you live?Well good luck and maybe i'll talk to ya soon.

HI hnladue I am responding to the couple of questions you had for me. The first was yes I had a catheder but they did it while I was sleeping.It did not hurt when they took it out which was a few hours later because I was up out of bed around 5:30-6:00 that night. I did not have any gas or gas pains. The pain really was minimal it is very hard to explain, my stomach did feel very weird and sick feeling. It felt like it was attacking itself. at times I would think i was hungry but not really and other times i'd think i wanted something to drink but i didnt want thst either. The first week was hard i will be completely honest with you but after that i felt very good and was up and around. If i had to do it all over agin i'd do it in a heartbeat. Dr. DiBenedetto is great and has a wonderful bedside manner. Good luck to you keep me posted!!!!!!!!!! you will be glad you chose this for yourself.

Hi Heather--

I'm in Albany. Albany Med requires everyone to lose pre-op even if there ins co doesn't (some do, some don't). Losing some weight before makes srinks the liver and makes it easier for them to insert the pain with more speed and accuracy. They also want to see if the person can show some ability to stick with a diet. There are some people who can not and the band will not work for them because it requires behavioral changes. Otherwise -- the bypass is the better choice for people.

If Mom is an addict -- she may just not realize how little food we actually need. I know that I don't seem to have a good sense of portion need so maybe she doesn't either.

Rugman-we too have the same requirement. I've lost 20 pounds as per the doc's requirement. BCBS only requires a 5% weight loss.

Mom is slowly getting the idea that this is a good thing!! Took a good bat to the head however!! (Not really.... just my pcp put it into perpective for her)

Had to jump thru a 6 month "supervised diet" and monthly office visits with BCBS. Weight loss is for the liver issue. Surgery done last webnesday, no problems. It is worth the wait.

hnladue--

I'm at a univerity too. Albnay Med requires 10% (teaching hospital) and I'm OK with that becasue it's just is 10% less that I would have to lose post-op anyway. . . .althought it is not fun waiting for the surgery.

Glad your Mom is coming around. Of course I don't know her but this could very well be her way of worrying about her child. If your Dad passed from surg a year ago -- she could be afraid for you.