Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie about to schedule surgery- HELP

Hi, I’m new to the group. Before I introduce myself, I want to really thank all of the members that post and share your experiences and emotional feelings on the board. Reading all of the posts over the past several weeks really helped me finally decide on moving forward with the surgery and to set realistic expectations.

My name is Michael. I’m 32 and live in NYC. Being 6’2” and weighing 330lbs, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and schedule band surgery with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. I was (and still am I have to admit) a little weary of going to Mexico to have the surgery, but because my insurance company will not cover lap-band surgery in any circumstance (cigna Pos), I figured the risk of me staying fat another year or two saving the additional money is worse than the off chance something will happen to me in Mexico that could be avoided in NYC. Dr. Rumbaut seems to have an excellent reputation and track record.

I have one question that I haven’t seen discussed in any detail that is bugging me…. as a guy, my friends and I engage in horseplay from time to time (wrestling, punching, etc). I know that the band, tubing and port are very durable and will not limit your activity in the least (Dr. Rumbault’s website says he performed surgery on a professional wrestler and NCAA defensive tackle), but I’ve also read about a whole bunch of port problems and guys bending the wrong way and the port snapping off. Can any of you guys shed some more light on this form me? I mean what if you get punched or poked by the port or band? Also do any of you know about the new band that Inamed band that is in clinical trials? Is it worth waiting for?

Hi Mike & welcome to the board. I have heard great things about Dr. Rumbaut. I went to Mexico also for my surgery but to Tiajuana not Monterey for thesame reasons , my insurance would not cover me..I have no regrets with my decision to go to Mexico I have recieved better care from my Dr. in Mexico then I have from any Dr. here in the states.

Best of Luck to you, sorry I can not answer the guy question. Are you planning on going back to Monterey for your fills and aftercare? Do you have a Dr. lined up in NYC in the event of an emergency? I would highly reccomend it if you don't yet. Here is Inameds web site www.lapband.com. It gives a list of surgeons in NY,( click on surgeon locator)maybe you can call some of them to see if they take patients banded in Mexico..many US Dr.'s do'nt and the ones that do charge an arm and a leg but it is best to have someone in the event of an emergency..

Wishing you the best on your journey..

I have heard that Rumbaut is very good to refer you to his colleagues. I'd ask him for a referral to meet with a local surgeon BEFORE my surgery.

Also, Personally, my port was quite sensitive the first year. Even sitting for long periods bent at the waist could make it sore. Waist bands on pants hurt. I would be a bit leary of taking a punch too often. lol.

21 months out I hardly notice it, but I still don't think I'd want to take a hit on it. Your mileage may vary..

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I booked my surgery for March 22nd, but made a last minute change and decided on Dr. Ortiz from TJ. I figured that in the long run flying to San Diego for aftercare would be easier than Monterrey and it seemed to be a toss up as far as surgical skill.

Now I have to get going and lose 20lbs before the surgery per their surgical instructions!

Mike, sorry can't answer you?? about the punches. I would think that would hurt, hitting the port area. Best of luck on your banding. Like others have said, please be sure that you have a local surgeon as back-up, before you are banded. Please call and talk with his/her office direct to confirm they will accept you. Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Best of Luck Mike and welcome to LBT.

Cannot answer the guy question maybe some of the men on the board can.

If anyone pokes you in the port, poke them back! Mike, men are really lucky cause they tend to drop weight so much faster than women. You should do really well since you're so active with all that wrestling. And I've never heard one negative comment about Dr. Rumbaugh.

I've had two ports (because of complications) and recently had the second one removed. Even without a port, I think I'll always be a little over-protective of that area. I doubt you'll want to take chances in the first year, but maybe some old timers that have had ports for years will pop in and tell you how they feel. Till then, don't get all macho and let people see how hard they can punch you in the belly, okay?

Dr. Rumbaut and Dr. Ortiz are both very qualified and highly experienced band doctors.

I am an Ortiz patient and am completely satisfied with him and his entire staff. Best of Luck to you on your upcoming surgery.

Hi Mike, I too used Dr. Ortiz & so far very happy. I love him & Dr. Martinez. I have CIGNA PPO & they wouldn't cover either.

There is Obesity Center of Long Island, nurse practitioner Dory Ferara, does fills for lots of docs (Dr. Katz in NYC, Dr. Gabriel in NYC & Cancun, etc.) She works one or two days in NYC & one day in Wantagh, LI & I think in Westchester also. She did my pre-care, set up all my testing (which in retrospect was unnecessary) Anyway, I went to TJ for my first fill. I went to Dory last week & she had to take out a little cause I had become too tight (this was one month after the fill). I won't hesitate to have Dory do my fills from now on--next week she's putting some back & we're taking it slow from there. I don't know what she charges per fill if you go to her after, but it's worth looking into. Good Luck!