Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exercise where do i start

well i have lost 18kg and have done very little exercise im ashamed :biggrin: of the fact i just cant get into a routine..

does anyone else have this problem

my kids go back to school on tuesday and before the finished last year i had started to walk them to school but have done very little since..

i meen i have gone away and been walking lots then even went kayaking a few times but in the last week or so have not even thought about it...

I also are in a need of a fill as i can eat more than i should and am getting hungy quicker so im looking forward to a fill.. i go back on the 6th feb...

any how just thought id vent a bit

goodluck to all of you

Kaylene:confused:

well i have lost 18kg and have done very little exercise im ashamed :biggrin: of the fact i just cant get into a routine..

does anyone else have this problem

my kids go back to school on tuesday and before the finished last year i had started to walk them to school but have done very little since..

i meen i have gone away and been walking lots then even went kayaking a few times but in the last week or so have not even thought about it...

I also are in a need of a fill as i can eat more than i should and am getting hungy quicker so im looking forward to a fill.. i go back on the 6th feb...

any how just thought id vent a bit

goodluck to all of you

Kaylene:confused:

Hi Kaylene,

Like you most of the weight I have lost so far has not been due to exercise. But I have now 'bit the bullet' and I joined a ladies only gym at my local shopping centre. Bit embarassing being the largest lady there but had my first session on Monday and am going back again on thursday.

The most wonderful thing happened though - went to get changed after the session and a woman who obviously works out asked if this was my first night. I said it was and that I had just had surgery and decided I need to exercise. She asked if I had lap band surgery and congratulated me on my decision - how encouraging is that - to have a total stranger give you that support.

Kaylene, my Dr said any exercise will do - it doesn't have to be too strenuous just so long as I move.

Good luck

Danna

Thanks for your reply.

i am thinking of going and signing up for Water aerobics or something like that..i live 40 Min's from our nearest gym and really need to think about committing to the drive...

its great to see that your getting good comments from the public in a place that fitness counts.. i guess its true about the 1 steep at a time.. seems like sometimes you make a step forward only to go 2 back but thats life i guess..

takecare

Kaylene

hi Kaylene,

I have been banded on jan 16th, I have always been into exercise and am really keen to get back to it. I live pretty close to a local swimming pool, I usually go there 3 times a week and swim some laps, I usually do 30 in the 50 metre pool. But if you aren't too good at swimming try walking in the inside pools. I often see women doing swim walking, I hear it is great exercise and it is low impact.

I also go on our exercise bike. We have a flash one, it cost us neary $1200, but it is worth it, and I think you can also hire them too. Also invest in a dumb bell set so you can start toning. A friend of mine lost 50 kilos by lap banding and did she has the best arms now hehehe, I want them too.

Good luck

Key for me, who has started a hundred exercise programs in my life and not stuck to them, is convenience.

I love the gym, honestly, have no problem going but just simply have not got the time to go more than once or twice a week. Its doomed everytime I start.

Which is why I took up running. I go to the gym again now but primarily I am a runner. I can put on my shoes, head out the front door and be back in 45 minutes. I can do it in the morning or the evening, on the weekend, at midday or midnight. I knew I would have to walk or run primarily because that was what I had time for. And I have a treadmill too so time and weather is no issue, if I cant go outside, I can still get on that.

Luckily I came to love it. The gym is a fun addition, not my primary exercise. I can go to a class whenever I feel like but running is always there to keep me going if I'm busy or poor or cant make the gym for a hundred other reasons.

A 40 minute drive, I just wouldnt even contemplate it, I'd know for sure that I'd last a week. Plus the cost of petrol these days! You'd easily pay for a bike or a treadmill with the savings you'd make by not driving that fat.

Good luck!

I'm with Jacqui. Running is my passion. I do try to go to the gym a couple of times a week to do a bit of cross training, but I running is what I love.

I think along with convienience, passion and enjoying what you do makes it easy. I hate swimming, I could never do it as a form of exercise, but some people love it, I'm not too fussed on classes other than RPM either. You might have to try a few things before you find something you love. Does some one you know have a bike you can borrow? Can you buy a couple of cheap exercise DVD's from Target or Kmart (or ebay)? Can you set up your own mini circuit at home you can do while watching TV?

I attribute more than half of my weight loss to my exercise, because I haven't really "dieted" for most of my lapband journey. Sure I eat less, but I haven't missed out on all my favourite foods.

Thanks for all the idea's ... im not sure running yet is a option but im hoping in the future it will be... my kids start school tomorrow. so im gonna walk them to school instead of driving them so that is my start point.. also going to get my old treadmill out and a few Other things in the Garage collecting dust..

Start walking to school with the kids. It's low cost, all you need are some shoes and maybe a pedometer. Don't stop walking when the kids get to school. Continue on and meet the neighborhood. The key to weightloss with exercise is aerobic exercise. The gym is great for building power and strength, but aerobic exercise(walking, swimming, biking) burn calories and that's what we are after. The longer you go, the more burned and the longer the effects last.

The gym can be very intimidating to those of us looking at those trim, hardbodies, lifting huge amounts of weight etc. So wait till you lose some and feel better able to face those SBs. Find a buddy that is about the same level and then go, study about weight lifting first too and decide on an idea of regimen. Then you won't appear clueless. I can promise that most people at the gym will be willing to talk and help if you don't appear to be totally clueless.

Good Luck and keep on keepin' on.

gk

Everything you can say about running applies to walking too. There's no need to run if you dont want to, but if you get fit enough, one day you'll find that you cant get your heart rate over 100 no matter how hard you walk - unless you find some very big hills.

So yeah, walk! Its a great way to start and like running, its convenient and cheap. And you can take kids with you on bikes or in prams.