Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Please ....... I'm Mad !!!!!!!

Hello All

I had surgery at the end of July , I lost 15 to 20 pounds in the first month because of the lapband surgery , I started at 290 , so ......... after the first month I was around 270 , I started losing a pound or 2 every month , I got down to 264lbs in December , I had fills every month after surgery , I started this year at 3.0 in my fill , I have a 4.0 lapband ............ I way 270lbs right now , I'm not happy at all , I had this suregery hoping that i'd be around 250 lbs at Christmas , and here I am gaining weight , I went to the Doc's office on Jan 14th and had another fill , I'm at 3.4 right now and I still feel hungry !!!!!!.......my lapband is almost full and I still feel hungry ....WHY ?????? I thought this was suppose to help you feel NOT hungry !!!!!!!!!............... I know I should be doing more exericse , I know this lapband thing is NOT a miracle fix , I know you still have to work at it , But WHY do I still feel hungry , WHY can I still eat , i rather and wish I couldn't hold anything down !!!!! ...I'm just mad and want to know how people out there have done with a 4.0 lapband , is there anyone who has had a lot of weight loss with a 4.0 lapband , when did you start feeling NOT hungry with your 4.0 lapband ??? what has been the highest fill on a 4.0 lapband ?? that you know off , I wanted and hoped to lose around 100lbs in one years time , I know once the warm weather comes around in my area I will start walking and exercising more , but I JUST DON"T WANT TO FEEL HUNGRY !!!!!!..........please post your weight lose and time span on a 4.0 lapband and when and what fill did you stop feeling hungry ??

Thanks to all who reply

First of all, 20 pounds is great! Congratulations!

What does your daily diet consist of? How many calories are you eating? Are you getting in lots of Protein, because that is the key to keeping you full? Maybe you could check in with the office nutritionist? Also, check out the 'Food' board here, and see what people are eating. There are plenty of threads that give great meal ideas. Keep a food diary for a week, and you may be surprised to see that you are eating calories that you thought you were.

I feel the same way you do when I eat certain foods. They aren't mushy or soft foods but sometimes certain things just don't seem to fill me up no matter how much of it I eat. I think the secret really is Protein protein protein. If I eat about 4 -6 ounces of protein before touching anything else I am usually satisfied and don't need to eat anything else on my plate. I don't feel like it's "dieting" because I tell myself if I am still hungry after eating the protein I can eat it, but I am usually satisfied and leave it alone. If I start with the other foods, I can eat and eat and eat it seems like. I understand your frustrations 100%!! I've been there many times.

I'm not sure I ever don't feel hungry, or feel truly full. However, with the proper fill I Can't eat anymore. I truly think the problem is that you don't have any restriction. I hope you can get enough in the band to get you restricted. In my case, I simply can't eat more than a small amount before I get stuck and can't eat anymore. Good luck, I only lost 18 pounds in the 1st 3 months and then I really started losing we I got good restriciton.

I can eat way more of the stuff I shouldn't eat than I can of the good healthy stuff.

Even with my latest fill (and it's snug) I can only eat a few bites of meat. However, I was able to eat 5 chicken nuggets last night because I drowned them in sauce - they went right on thru. That's BAD!!!

I do feel full - stuffed even - when I eat like I'm supposed to. No more sauces for me :biggrin:

wombat

I can see why you are frustrated, things just aren't going the way you planned. Your mini-goals weren't that far reaching.

But this does happen. My suggestion:

Get an aggressive fill. Yep, tell your doc you want to be aggressive. Tell him you want to feel restriction. Agree to come back in a week for a followup- just in case it's too tight.

Want to eat and slime it up? Want to take 3 bites and that be too much?

Are you ready for this? Really ready to lose the weight?

This is what someone can do when they can't stop overeating. And it seems you can't stop either.

That's what I did...get well restricted. Not so much I had to have an unfill; however, but I was at the MAX.

Good luck and keep us posted.

We can't really tell you why you always feel hungry. Maybe you're one of the ones who will need a fill in excess of the base volume. Maybe your band has slipped. Maybe you're eating foods that go right through vs. hard proteins/solids. Who knows?

I have a 4.0 band and have ben sitting at 3.25 for about 8 months now. I have lost about 160 +/- 10 lbs. I stopped feeling hungry on the last day of my pre-op diet, except for a handful of times I've felt hungry in the (almost) 2 years since.

My suggestion is to track everything you are eating which means you should weigh your food to make sure you are calculating the correct amount of calories. Be sure to eat solid Protein first and do not drink with your meals or an hour after. I couldn't figure out why I was hungry and then I realized I wasn't really following the rules. When I was honest with myself and ate Protein first the band did its job with my help.

Good luck!

I also have a 4.0 lapband and it took me all the way to a 3.8 fill before I felt enough restriction. I still feel hungry sometimes, but if you eat the 3 small meals per day and drink the protien it helps with the hunger. I was banded 8/17/06 so about 16 months ago and I just hit 90lbs weight loss. So hang in there, try to eat good quality, high protien low calorie foods, get some exercise (even housework works) and you should do great !

Good luck !

I can say this , first I wanna feel the restriction ,............ I can at times ........ like when I eat a piece of steak or something dry , I can feel it , but I'm still hungry , I can honestly say I don't have things with sugar , I don't drink nothing but unsweetened tea with splenda , Water and sometimes ..... a Sprite Zero , (( which has nothing in it )) , so drinking is NOT the problem , I don't add or use salt on anything ....I don't eat a lot of breads .........I just don't get it .....I'll be going to the Doc's again on Feb 11th , to get another fill , I'm pretty sure I'll br brought up to 3.8 on a 4.0 lapband , I hope I feel the restriction !!!!!!!!!.

What has always helped me, even pre-band, is if you are still hungry, try eating something where the more you eat, the more you lose. For example, scrambled eggs. If you eat lots of these (or even overeat - though I am not saying to do that) you will still lose weight because of the Protein. Just do that for about 2 days and you may get over this plateau you have hit. Just a suggestion.

Good luck! I totally feel for you and sincerely hope something helps. As we all know, for overweight people, feeling hungry and unsatisfied is just about the worst feeling in the world. Keep up the good work and God bless!

Umm what? That doesn't even make sense. Eat lots of eggs and you will lose weight because they have Protein? ? Eat lots more of ANY nutrient, including protein, than your body can metabolize and you will continue to add to your fat stores. It doesn't matter of it's protein, carbohydrates, fats, etc. Based on what metabolic process do you say that eating lots of eggs will cause you to lose weight because of the protein??

Totally agree with Wheetsin.

I would talk to the Dr. Maybe they can remove all the Fluid to check how much you have in the band. My dr said he does it sometimes before a fill he will remove the fluid in the band to check for leaks or to see how much fluid is really in the band. then fill it right back up plus some.

I know that my DR is very agressive about fills heck I just had my first and he put in 5cc. I thought that was a lot but he said if 5cc is what it takes for me to feel restriction he will put it in...if it takes more then he would of put more in. it is really based on the person.

But I would talk about it with your dr.

This is what works for me. Im not saying it's law. I went on the Slim4Life diet a few years ago. During the first 3 days, the rule is "The more you eat, the more you lose" (of meat, eggs etc). I meant to eat eggs for a day or two as a plateau breaker and did not mean to eat 20 eggs. That is something that has helped me and something that was referred to me by a very popular and supervised diet plan. It was a suggestion that may help her jump start some weight loss and meant as nothing more.