Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help

Guest navymom

Guest navymom

I am 4 days post op. The last 3 days have been awful enough to make me wonder if I did the right thing. Today has been better. The main problem I am experiening is something like air or a muscle spasm in my esophagus. This happens regularly whether I am eating, sitting, standing or lying down. Is this reflux? I can't be overeating. I am barely eating anything at all. Also my left shoulder is killing me.Thanks for your help

You shouldn't be eating anything at all! You should be on Clear liquids for the first several days, and then you should slowly move to thick liquids then mushy foods. What are you eating? It is very important to NOT eat for a few days after the surgery because the Band has to seat itself, plus your stomach will have to do a lot of work to digest food, and you don't want to disturb the band yet. You need to call your doctor and tell him you've been eating food. Ask him why he's the only Band surgeon that allows his patient to eat food in the first few days. Maybe he forgot to give you correct post-op instructions or something.

The left shoulder pain is very common and very normal after surgery (has to do with the anesthesia.) Use a nice big heating pad for the shoulder pain, which brought me a lot of comfort.

As far as feeling awful, yes, a lot of us felt horrible for a week or two after surgery. Some people went back to work after a few days, while I could never imagine going back to work for at least a week.

Is the pain in your esphogus like a really painful hiccup-type thing? It's hard to explain, but I had that for a couple days. All gas related, and it will get better.

Are you still on liquids? It really will get better each day. You'll soon be on here posting how much better you feel than pre-banded. The best thing you can do is walk, walk, walk....gets those gas pains out. A heating pad is good for your shoulder or standing w/ your back to a pulsating shower. (Don't soak in a tub until the incisions are healed.) Also you might try some Mylicon Baby Gas Drops.

I agree with Lisa..why is your Dr. allowing you to eat so soon post op. I had no food for 4 weeks. The band has to set in place, any digestive process by eating solid foods can interupt that with all the rumbling and churning it takes to digest those solids and you can risk slippage.

What are you eating?

THe pain in the shoulder I have heard from others is trapped gas from when they pumped the Co2 into you to do the surgery..it goes away after a week or two

The air you are experiencing is also from the Co2 and the pain could be from the swelling and the air cant not make it's way out very easily. I experienced the same thing the first 3 weeks I had horrible pain in my diaphram area right under my breast bone, each day got better..

I think everything you are feeling when lying down, sitting or standing is from the gas and swelling..but still question your doctor on what you should be eating 4 days post op, that does not seem normal to me.

Good Luck, Hang in there...you made the right decision this is just a bump in the road :)

Sometimes walking helps. This isn't the type of gas that we associate with flatulence. It is CO2 that was used to pump into the abdominal area so the surgeon could have a better field of vision for the surgery. And that type of gas has to be reabsorbed into the system. It can move to different areas of the body like the chest area, shoulders, even the lower back and be quite painful. It just takes time to be reabsorbed. Heating pads can be helpful at times.

Are you still on liquids? It really will get better each day. You'll soon be on here posting how much better you feel than pre-banded. The best thing you can do is walk, walk, walk....gets those gas pains out. A heating pad is good for your shoulder or standing w/ your back to a pulsating shower. (Don't soak in a tub until the incisions are healed.) Also you might try some Mylicon Baby Gas Drops.

Guest Spaqueen

I had surgery on Friday and now it is Monday. I feel terrible and gassy. I have only had juice, tea and Water. I have tried liquid Protein Drinks (slim fast, ensure, adantax) and they all give me indigestion. While I don't feel hungry, I would assume I should try and get some Protein. Any suggestions? Could I have drinkable yogurt or strained Soup yet?

Spaqueen, you should be sticking to thin or mostly Clear Liquids for probably another day or so before starting the thick liquids. Didn't your doctor give you any post-op instructions? If you can stick it out until Wednesday that might be a good day to start trying Soups, and that should help make you feel more satisfied.

Guest Spaqueen

Thanks! I called my doctor this morning and I guess I just have to make it through these first days!

Please follow his/her post-op directions so your band will anchor properly and you'll avoid future problems. This is temporary!

Guest kaznelson

I was interested to read your posts. Im 5 days post op and I am eating thin to medium liquids. My doctors diet sheet says we can eat thin porridge & thin Soup from day 3. Then slowly thicken up each day until on pureed food by Day 8.

Im in the UK and wonder if this is the reason why things seem so different?

I'm in the UK too, 11 days post op, and my doc has me on thin Soups for two weeks then purees. He actually said consomme for two weeks but at only 9 cals per serving, I only a managed 6 days. Moved to carefully strained/seived Soups for last 5 days and although I feel absolutely full after just one bowl, I feel great. The booklet he gave me says the test is, if it can go through a straw, it's OK.

It's t is a little irritating though - all docs seem to offer different post-op regimes. I don't know if that's because they use different bands or have their own experience. Whatever way - I think it's best to stick to what they say though. I have an allergic reaction if to anyone saying "I told you so"!

Everyones doctor is different! If your doctor says you can eat, then do so. I was able to start having soft veggies and fish on my 4th day post op. And you can tell that I have had great success.... look at my ticker. I think that some doctors follow the same meal plan for LabBand and Gastric Bypass, that is why some people will tell you not to eat yet. My dad had Gastric Bypass 4 weeks ago and he is just now able to start eating solids. Good luck to you. If you have any questions, you can email me personally!

I coulndt have eaten on day four if I tried!

I was able to have like 9 ounces of fluids. It would take like a half hour to drink 2 to 3 ounces of juice.

My instructions were

First week

only Water, tea, clear broth, Jello, popcycles, juice, gatorade and pedyalite.

NEVER ALLOWED carbinated drinks EVER AGAIN!

Second and third week

Add Protein shakes of 30 grams a day. Yogart and slightly thicker Soup with NO chunks at all in anything.

Fourth week

Solids... start mushy and slow and see what you can tolerate.

Chew thouroughly.

DO not drink with your meals EVER

If you have pain, like burps and gas and chest pain (pbing)

STOP eating!!

Go on liquids for 24 to 48 hours and try solids again.