Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, the grocery bill is so much LESS!

Adding fresh fish to my diet, instead of the meat, as I am still in the mushy phase is expensive. Even though I am buying 1/4 pound. Salmon is $10 a pound here. Even Tilapia is $6.99 a pound.

I buy Greek Yogurt, because its 0% fat, and 14g Protein, they are $1.59 each.

The Protein powders, slimfast, Carnation instant Breakfast is expensive too.

Whats cheap is that I got Target childrens chewable Vitamins with Iron, 60 tablets to a bottle, doctor said to take two a day, and its costing me $3.00 a month. Adult regular Vitamins cost more, and forget the adult chewable or liquid vitamins.

I am hoping that when I am ready for regular food and my band is adjusted correctly I am in the situation with you guys and spending less.

For suppliments I am taking an off-brand of chewable Vitamin and that is about it. I took Vitamins anyway so paying for it now is nothing new. I get my protien powder from the local grocery store where you can buy in bulk from bins - I think it is just over $6 a pound. (32 g of protien per 1/3 cup - H.E.B grovery)

What store do you get your Protein Powder in bulk? I want that! lol

Even though I am buying a lot less at the Grocery Store I do find myself buying more expensive items. A lot of healthier foods are more expensive.

ie:

1lb ground turkey breast $4.00

1lb ground beef $2.00

Where I see the HUGE savings is eating out. We used to eat out at least 2-3 times per week and I used to eat a lot of fast food. We eat out once or twice a month now and I always have left overs!

My food bill is the same or higher at the moment. I find myself shopping at Whole Foods, Fish & Farmers Market 10 times more now than prior to surgery. I even pop into my Fav Sushi Restaurant and buy a slab of tuna or salmon.

Like you Candle the only savings I've seen is in eating out. I'm either only eating an appetizer or have an entre that will sustain me 3 more meals.

What store do you get your Protein powder in bulk? I want that! lol

HEB but I think that line of grocery stores are mostly in texas. We were already buying healthy and mostly organic food so we were already used to the cost of it. I did some label reading and found that 97/3 ground beef had the same calories/fat/protien as ground turkey (although I am so used to ground turkey now that I am not likely to chcange back to ground beef). Not buying diet coke makes a big difference. What used to make up a plate of food now is enough for 3 meals.

HEB but I think that line of grocery stores are mostly in texas. We were already buying healthy and mostly organic food so we were already used to the cost of it. I did some label reading and found that 97/3 ground beef had the same calories/fat/protien as ground turkey (although I am so used to ground turkey now that I am not likely to chcange back to ground beef). Not buying diet coke makes a big difference. What used to make up a plate of food now is enough for 3 meals.

yeap the 97/3 taste so much better and actually cheaper, also I found a turkey smoked sausage at Walmart for 1.50 a pack it taste so good (FYI I don't like turkey)

Ok, this is bizarre, I've switched to ground turkey wherever I can get away with it (dh doesn't like it except in sauces and chili...) but not because it's healthier, but because it's been $1.00/lb CHEAPER than beef. Even the el-cheapo 73/27 beef. Go figure!

I always buy the ground turkey BREAST, which is a little more expensive. The 1lb package is a regular price of $3.69-4.49.

Ground Beef was .99 per lb last week!

I like the taste of ground beef better then ground turkey...so I buy both and mix it. It is less fat and I still get the good taste. lol. odd I know.

my wife is very happy with our grocery bill...especially steak. i used to eat 2 ribeyes in one sitting. 2 weeks ago we went to longhorn and we both ordered 12oz ribeyes. she finished way before i did. i ate about 6 bites, and a few bites of onions and mushrooms. i took the rest home for 2 more meals.

Oh boy is this strange for me and I hope I'm not being morose in sharing this with anyone who reads this. I haven't been on this site for at least 3 months and I see the changes and I like them, but wow the picture of the girl next to the logo. This woman looks exactely like my sister would if she had had this proceedure and lost the weight that she needed to lose. She passed away two years in April from heart attack at age 47. I can't stop looking at it! Other than that it looks great except for no handy spell check still.

Marg

Cerrin - re: ground turkey. I mix it with ground beef sometimes too. My boyfriend complains the turkey is too bland when I make meatballs or something similar. In chili or mexican food he doesn't notice.

Anyone ever try the ground chicken?

I can't wait till I have restriction like that and don't go out to eat as much. Me and my husband eat out for lunch almost every day. We have date night once a week, which was last night for us. After sharing a basket of chips and salsa at Chili's I had the southwestern eggrolls (appetizer) . I ate every last piece. I was completely stuffed and litterally felt like I wanted to puke it up. Oddly, i wasn't even hungry anymore after the chips, but I ate the eggrolls anyway cuz they are just so dang yummy. I don't know WHY I keep eating when I'm not hungry because it's good. I wish I could turn my tastebuds off. Had they been gross, I wouldn't have eaten them. I hope I get approved for this band. I seriously need it. :wink2:

That's great.

I don't notice that my groceries are much less as I have a husband and 3 growing kids, but I DO notice a LOT MORE left overs.:wink2:

I have problems when I go out to eat too that I am not hungry but I want the food so bad I eat too much. So I try not to go out to the places I know I will eat like that and cant being home.

before I got the band I would go to Applebees and eat a sampler (contains 6 wings, mozz. sticks spinash dip and chips) and I would eat the main course steak shrimp, mashed potatoes, and veggies, and lots of soda , no I order off the kids menu and can't eat all of it. my bill usually $50.00 now $20.00