Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, the grocery bill is so much LESS!

At this rate, I will be able to pay off the portion that I owe after insurance fairly quickly. What is sad is that I did not realize the VOLUME of food I was eating until now. I am a little embarassed.

Crazy isn't it!! I planned on the savings on groceries to help pay for the medical loan. Between that and the medications I'm off of; I only have to come up with $50 a month to make my payment.

I LOVE MY BAND!!!

Congrats to you :tongue:

wombat

It is the cost of eatting out that is saving me the most money.

Before LB I would eat out at lunch about 7 dollars and then I would eat out at dinner about 15 dollars I would do this daily. that is a savings of about 150 a week....damn I dont spend that now on food at all for a month. including Protein Shakes.< /p>

It IS totally unbelievable, isn't it?!

The hilarious thing is I'm really still eating the same foods as I was before, but the portions are so-o-o much smaller! I used to use two instant maple oatmeal packets in the morning--and now I'm using 1/8 cup quick oats with 1/4 cup Water and I'm full!!

My husband and I used to eat an entire box of Kraft macaroni and cheese as a SIDE DISH for our meals (with maybe 2 - 3 country ribs each) -- likewise with tuna Helper-- we would eat the entire package for one meal, made with 3 cans of tuna and a package of peas!! And I would be the first one to declare that we weren't eating that unhealthily!

The best part is that my husband is now eating much less too, so it's been good for him. But this Portion Control tool is absolutely fabulous!! :tongue:

my supplements....I take 2 tablespoons of a liquid vitimin not bad tasting. I put it in a shot glass and down it in the morning. 11 dollars for a month supply. and Protein shakes. I buy unjury one large contanor is about 18 dollars. for 17 servings. I would say that is still less then the donuts and coke I used to have for Breakfast.

I dont really take any other supplements. At least nothing I was not taking before.

The biggest thing for me is I dont eat out much at all. where I used to eat out at least 2 times a day. Now I cook dinner and bring my lunch. I eat too slow to go out to eat for lunch and I dont eat enough for dinner for it to be worth it..So I just cook at home...it is not as bad as it used to be to cook just for myself. probably because I just dont eat much.

Even though I am buying a lot less at the Grocery Store I do find myself buying more expensive items. A lot of healthier foods are more expensive.

ie:

1lb ground turkey breast $4.00

1lb ground beef $2.00

Where I see the HUGE savings is eating out. We used to eat out at least 2-3 times per week and I used to eat a lot of fast food. We eat out once or twice a month now and I always have left overs!

I still go out to eat. I just order something that will be good reheated. I can usually get another 2-3 meals out of one serving. 1 if DH wants to share it with me for lunch the next day.

I know what you mean about the food lasting for days!! My husband made a 2# meatloaf once that lasted us 5 days and we STILL threw some of it out!! We used to eat the whole 2 # in one setting, with maybe a slice left!

Sometimes I'll get sick of a food before it's all been used--and I find that throwing food away is very very hard for me to do (leftover from my childhood?) but now I do it!

I used to love pizza, but now if I get a small four-slice personal, I have it for four days! (Unless I eat a piece for lunch and then again dinner)

Eating so little, I find I choose my food carefully, because I want to relish it--not just shove it in to fill up that big empty cavern called my former stomach!! :rolleyes2:

I am amazed how much money I was spending on food before my surgery. I have saved probably close to $200 in 3 weeks since my surgery (including pre-op diet).

Before surgery, I was eating out all the time...3 meals a day! That really adds up! Even when I was preparing dinner for the family, the extra amount I would prepare when I was included, was much more! When I was dining with the family, it was always a snack before dinner, a salad, a main course, 2 sides and dessert. Now that I am just preparing for them, I realize they are completely happy with a roasted chicken and a veggie! When we dine out (for now), I just pick off one of their plates. I cannot imagine ordering the appetizer and full meal I ordered before! What an eye opener this surgery has been!

For suppliments I am taking an off-brand of chewable Vitamin and that is about it. I took Vitamins anyway so paying for it now is nothing new. I get my protien powder from the local grocery store where you can buy in bulk from bins - I think it is just over $6 a pound. (32 g of protien per 1/3 cup - H.E.B grovery)

I know that is what I find so amazing. I wish I had kept track of how much I was spending. Including all the extra little things like buying a soda and chips and candy bar when I would get gas. Now If I get anything it is milk for my Protein Shake. (I ran out of milk one morning) It is just such a change looking at my bank statement and not seeing all those extra charges.

Even though I am buying a lot less at the Grocery Store I do find myself buying more expensive items. A lot of healthier foods are more expensive.

ie:

1lb ground turkey breast $4.00

1lb ground beef $2.00

Where I see the HUGE savings is eating out. We used to eat out at least 2-3 times per week and I used to eat a lot of fast food. We eat out once or twice a month now and I always have left overs!

Ok, this is bizarre, I've switched to ground turkey wherever I can get away with it (dh doesn't like it except in sauces and chili...) but not because it's healthier, but because it's been $1.00/lb CHEAPER than beef. Even the el-cheapo 73/27 beef. Go figure!

But I do find that I'm buying more expensive healthier foods in a lot of cases, and spend about the same on groceries as I did before. My pantry looks WAY different now, though.