Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Happened to Me

I wanted to let everyone know my story, so that my experience may make others more aware of things that can happen.

I had my band put in 12/31/07. My incision began to drain at the same time a small area of my abdominal incision had began to look as if it had come apart. I went to my doctor, and he put new steri strips on it. I was to keep changing the outer bandages if it continues to drain. It kept draining, and draining. I was almost positive that I had a hematoma. The draining continued, it was so heavy I had to cover the outer bandages with a Kotex to stop the draining from ruining my cloths.

Last Wednesday 1/16/08, I went to the bathroom, and I felt a wierd feeling with my incision. I uncovered it and a 1 inch long area of the incision had gayped open. I immediatly called my doctor. (I had first dressed the dressing with sterile gauze, etc) I went straight to his office.

He looked into it and said yes you have a hematoma. Next thing I knew my incision was completely opened back up. He felt and said my port was exposed. He said I would need to go back to surgery on Friday, 1/18/2008. I ask if there was another alternative. He said I would probably only be prolonging the inevitable, but he could irrigate it and sew it up. He said it would probably become infected, but if I wanted to go that way he would. I chose that way.

In a sterile environment, he cleaned out the hematoma, and then irrigated the open wound. He closed the wound up, and stitched it. He put me on antibiotics for a week. I go back to the doctor this Wednesday, 1/23/2008. I am so scared. I am afraid it is going to get infected. I pray everyday, that after Tuesday, 1/22/08, (the last day of my antibiotics) that this thing will be okay.

I think if I go back to surgery I am going to have it removed all together. I am just not willing to die to be thin. I have way to much living to do.

The good news... I have lost 20lbs since surgery!!

Wow Lorie!

so sorry that happened to you. I would have FREAKED! I'll keep you in my prayers that you will not have any infection and the port site will heal completely this time. Hang in there.

OMG, how scarey! I'm with you, I don't want to die to be thin but I'm afraid I'll die if I'm not. I really hope and I'm sure with the antibiotics it will be fine. Please keep us posted and thank you for sharing your story. It's very important to hear the good the bad and the ugly.

I hope the antibiotics keep the infection away. How nerve wracking! I also had bleeding from my port incision but it got under control the same night and my surgeon re-dressed it the next morning. I am freaked about infection so I can't imagine how freaked you are. :hugs: