Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some encouragement

Hi y'all....

Okay, my weightloss problem has always been immediate gratification. Typically I loose weight pretty fast and easily, however, when I plateau...I begin to binge, which gets me right back where I started. I decided on lapband...because there will be no binging!

Here is my frustration. I was banded 1/4....lost, lost, lost...I was so excited. Now for the last 4 or 5 days...nothing! I am stuck at 14 pounds. I know this is normal...and I should be excited for the 14 lbs, but my immediate gratification problem...is making me sad and frustrated.

I made a thread a while back about "Your First Month Weightloss" to try to get a feel for what other have gone through, but not many replied to that thread. So I am now pleading....help me!!

Thanks in advance.....y'all are all wonderful!!

Wendy, My first month I lost 11lbs. I was frustrated but was told that some don't even loose since it's "healing time". Wasn't until my third fill that the weight started to click off, that along with a lot of time at the gym.

Cheer Up,

I also lost about 10 lbs. the first month. I was banded 11/5. In total I have lost about 22lbs. I have a sweet tooth when I have PMS,the Protein Bars help.I had guests over and made biscotti. They came a little late and I had some biscotti and had a PB, it was weird,with slime. I had salad while they were there and lots of peanuts. At like 2 in the morning I had a terrible gas pain and was so sick and almost fainted. The next day I had wheat crackers with Peanut Butter and it was stuck but eventually went down. When I had some soft chicken at night ,it got stuck and hurt a lot( golfball effect). I had to get the pieces out and a huge bubble of slime came out with the pieces. It was so weird. So I'm on a liquid diet now. I'm having my shake/protein powder/fruit/flaxseed powder etc.,oatmeal, Protein Bar, which is considered mushies, and lots of flavored water.

Sorry for describing things so graphically.

Hi y'all....

Okay, my weightloss problem has always been immediate gratification. Typically I loose weight pretty fast and easily, however, when I plateau...I begin to binge, which gets me right back where I started. I decided on lapband...because there will be no binging!

Here is my frustration. I was banded 1/4....lost, lost, lost...I was so excited. Now for the last 4 or 5 days...nothing! I am stuck at 14 pounds. I know this is normal...and I should be excited for the 14 lbs, but my immediate gratification problem...is making me sad and frustrated.

I made a thread a while back about "Your First Month Weightloss" to try to get a feel for what other have gone through, but not many replied to that thread. So I am now pleading....help me!!

Thanks in advance.....y'all are all wonderful!!

WendyRae

IMHO you need to change your perception on losing weight - this is not a race this is a lifetime lifestyle change - Heck you were just banded 2 weeks ago – you may get on the scale every day for 5 days in a row and it will show nothing and then you get on the 6th day and 2 lbs are gone - I suggest that you only get on the scale once a week - period - the scales fluctuate too much on a daily heck even hourly basis - so pick one day a week and get on the scale that morning and only that morning - then put it away - some weeks you may only lose 1/2 lb - but you will notice your clothes are bagger or you will notice an improvement in your energy level

I think you are going to have to work on your immediate gratification issues - as you should know it can take up to 2 yrs for bander to lose all their weight -

This battle is mostly mental imho - the band will restrict how much you eat once you have proper restriction but right now you are healing - and most likely on mushies which can be higher in calories – are you getting all your Protein, Water etc

Make good food choices - track your food intake and only get on your scale once a week – Work on your immediate gratification issues – cuz your weight loss is going to slow from what you lost the 1st week – You most likely are not going to continue to lose 14 lbs every 2 weeks – average is 1-2 lbs a week once you get proper restriction

Relax – enjoy life – don’t rush it – it will come as long as you put in the work

My best to you…

Maybe you should have gone for gastric bypass if you wanted immediate results. The band is a much slower process. That being said, 14 pounds in 17 days is pretty amazing! Don't be so hard on yourself. It took more than a month to put those pounds on and it's going to take more than a month to get them off. Be patient. One good motivator for me was to take measurements. Sometimes, even when the scale didn't move, I had lost an inch or more! Celebrate the NSVs, like getting off meds, exercising more, being able to fit it something you haven't worn in a while, etc. Hang in there-you are doing great!

You definitely need to get a handle on expecting rapid weight loss after the first two weeks, because looking at your BMI whiich is low, you should expect to lose slower than someone with a higher BMI.

It's just the way it is for most of us!

Wendy,

Don't Be Concerned With Weight Loss Until After You Heal...if You Are Only A Couple Of Weeks Out, You Still Have Swelling...once Thing I Would Suggest To You, Stop Weighing...don't Worry About Your Weight At This Point..you Need To Heal And If You Will Eat What You Are Supposed To Eat, You Will Lose...don't Eat More Than You Are Supposed To...and Stick To The Program...but Quit Weighing Yourself...you Can Start Back After You Have A Fill Or Even Two Fills...

Wendy,

Don't Be Concerned With Weight Loss Until After You Heal...if You Are Only A Couple Of Weeks Out, You Still Have Swelling...once Thing I Would Suggest To You, Stop Weighing...don't Worry About Your Weight At This Point..you Need To Heal And If You Will Eat What You Are Supposed To Eat, You Will Lose...don't Eat More Than You Are Supposed To...and Stick To The Program...but Quit Weighing Yourself...you Can Start Back After You Have A Fill Or Even Two Fills...

Hi Big As Life,

I apprecaite your encouragement...and that is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I mis-spoke in my first post in this thread....I know I should not be loosing a lot....I know that I am being silly....I just hate feeling alone and just wanted to know that I wasn't. I wan't to know if anyone else felt the same way. I have been doing everything to a T...not straying at all (with the exception of one glass of wine at a party that my surgeon approved). By some of the other posts from folks I felt lilke a heal for even being sad! So again...thank you for your kind words and understanding....I apprecaite you!!!

Hi Wendy. I got banded on 01/11 also and am feeling the same way. I also am binging a littke bit now and have decided to be deprived until my first fill. Please contact me. I've also lost the same exact amount, and I am now "Stuck" too. I have been told the fills are necessary.

Wendy Rae-

If it helps, I am experiencing the exact same thing. I was banded on 1/08/08 (two weeks tomorrow). I have lost 19lbs total since going on my pre-band diet, but have stalled the last two weeks. I am still on liquids, so I am only getting 700-800 calories a day, but the scale has stopped moving. 1 week out, I was up to 17lbs lost, then on Friday, I suddenly dropped another two pounds. Nothing since then, but I guess it is going to go slow from this point forward. It helps hearing that others, such as yourself, are experiencing the same thing. Good luck. Traci

WendyRae, darling! Remember me? We were banded on the same day.

I'm right there with you. We are 2 weeks out. I've only lost 12-13 (depending on what my scale decides to say that day) and it just won't budge. I have learned through these boards that the weight loss should not be the main issue right now. We have to heal first and life really begins after we begin receiving fills.

I'm not allowed my first fill until February 18...which is 6 weeks post-op. I can't wait! I'm hungry and I'm frustrated and it's really, really tough. Luckily I can start soft foods this coming Friday cuz at this point I'm sick of purees. I worry because today I was so hungry that I know I had 2 cups of purees, which is too much I guess. I finally felt satisfied, and that scares me. People on these boards say we aren't supposed to be eating more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food...but that's so tough with no restriction.

Hang in there. If you need to talk more, you know how to get ahold of me again. :lol: Do you have your first fill scheduled yet? We can go through that together, too.