Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Roxie,you are so welcome.Once again I have been giving a lot of thought to my slow weight loss.In realize the Band only helps restrict the size of portions.It cannot choose the foods for us!We still have to make choices and decisions!Sometimes it is easier than others.Phylsser,I want to commend you on your weight loss.I want to develope the determination that you have! Laura

Well today is my 7th on Optifast...so far,so good. When I have gotten really hungry I have a cup of beef or chicken boullion and that helps a lot. Tomorrow I go to get my pre-surgery testing at Cox Hospital in Springfield MO. Don't know exactly what tests there will be, but probably the ususal ekg, blood count, chest xray, etc. Then next Monday is Surgery Day!!

I have been reading a lot of posts on this site and others. It seems that the older we are, the less weight we loose, but there are exceptions to the rule and I hope to become one of those exceptions:)

Well today is my 7th on Optifast...so far,so good. When I have gotten really hungry I have a cup of beef or chicken boullion and that helps a lot. Tomorrow I go to get my pre-surgery testing at Cox Hospital in Springfield MO. Don't know exactly what tests there will be, but probably the ususal ekg, blood count, chest xray, etc. Then next Monday is Surgery Day!!

I have been reading a lot of posts on this site and others. It seems that the older we are, the less weight we loose, but there are exceptions to the rule and I hope to become one of those exceptions:)

Congratuations Diana on your decision and I wish you well in your journey. Just one thought, the older we get makes loosing weight slower but we can loose all the weight we want to. Just takes more time that is all. I am 66 and lost 83 lbs in 2 1/2 years. What keeps my sanity is tracking everything I eat and recording my weight once a week. I do not count the daily ups and downs (although I do weigh frequently) but only "my official weigh in" is what I believe to be my true weight. Many times, my weight has been recorded as a .18 lb per week loss but boy does it add up.

I would strongly urge you to start something in the way of tracking so you don't get discouraged when you see a "water gain". Everyone tends to gain Water over the day and I understand it is normal to gain up to 4 lbs.

Also, a photograph and measurements are great incentives too.

Good luck

Hi Doddie,

Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get!!!

I will take your advice and start to chart my weight and what I am eating. I can see where that would be a great help. I hope to have the success that you have had.

I can't walk very far anymore, because of having crushed all the arch bones in my foot, but I am using the "resistance bands" and feel that they are already helping me gain strength. Any other suggestions?

Again thanks for the "words of wisdom"!!!!!!

Hi Doddie,

Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get!!!

I will take your advice and start to chart my weight and what I am eating. I can see where that would be a great help. I hope to have the success that you have had.

I can't walk very far anymore, because of having crushed all the arch bones in my foot, but I am using the "resistance bands" and feel that they are already helping me gain strength. Any other suggestions?

Again thanks for the "words of wisdom"!!!!!!

I responded to your request, but somehow the message went off into cyber space. I am such a NON COMPUTER GEEK!!

Yes I do have a few suggestions. Exercise is great for the heart, lungs, blood pressure, etc but I wouldn't worry if you can't. Just keep moving somehow. As you loose weight, you will notice how much less your joints hurt. If you try to do too much you could injure yourself even more and that in itself would discourage you.

I took aqua fit as my exercise of choice. My first time was like walking to my death. I was so afraid of the stares, but LOL the women came up to me and told me not to worry as they were too worried about their own appearance. The instructors were equally kind. To me, Water exercises are the best, but if you can't get to them, try chair exercises. There is also the new form of exercise Wii. I understand you can get a great workout with their programs. Anyway, at the start of your journey it is more important to make sure your caloric intake is less than the energy expended. At our weight, we can consume more calories than the average person just to maintain. Reducing to 1400 would give you losses without too much exercise. Listen to your body, discuss your plans with your doctor or support group and don't be in a rush.

Hope some of this might help.

Diana

You are doing great!!!

I wish you all the best on the 27th. I remember how nervous I was about one year ago. I really thought about backing out of the surgery.

I am so glad I stuck with the lapband surgery. Now one year later, I weigh 130 pounds less, and have so much more engery. Like you, I could barely walk with knee problems and back problems, and thought that I would end up in a motorized wheelchair. Now I am walking around my neighborhood for exercise and enjoying shopping again. Believe me, if I can do it at age 61, so can you. Check out my bandster profile (just click on the words below my name).

My only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

You got good advise about tracking your food. Also, do some kind of exercise. I used a staionary bike, because I could sit and still burn calories. Also, it was easy on the knees.

Keep using this site. You get alot of help and encourgement. There is nothing like keeping in touch with others in the same situation.

Doddie & Karen, I thank you both for your good advise and encouragement! I too am having sort of last minute jitters ( a week early!!) and it is good to know that a lot more people have had them also...it keeps me thinking that I can do this too.

I live out in the country on a gravel road that has several hills, and have bought me some hiking boots for ankle and foot support so that I can start taking some slow walks after the recovery period from surgery. I am attending a support group in Springfield MO. Right now we are meeting in a room at the hospital re-hab center. I know they have a pool with underwater exercise equipment and wish I lived closer (I am 80 miles away). I may check into going there once a month after the support group meeting. Wish it was closer!!! I know the Water exercise would help a lot because of my foot and back (had it fused). The other night at the meeting, someone mentioned that the WII was helping them. I may have to check that out, as I would then be able to sit inside in the air conditioning and still exercise!!! It would really be nice if I can loose as much weight as ya'll!

Karen, where do you live in Indiana? I lived there for a while in the early 90's, down in the southern part near Santa Claus.

Thanks again ladies and if you think of more "stuff" I will be grateful!

Edited by DianaG
Wrong word in last sentence of 2nd paragraph!

Diana

You are doing great!!!

I wish you all the best on the 27th. I remember how nervous I was about one year ago. I really thought about backing out of the surgery.

I am so glad I stuck with the lapband surgery. Now one year later, I weigh 130 pounds less, and have so much more engery. Like you, I could barely walk with knee problems and back problems, and thought that I would end up in a motorized wheelchair. Now I am walking around my neighborhood for exercise and enjoying shopping again. Believe me, if I can do it at age 61, so can you. Check out my bandster profile (just click on the words below my name).

My only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

You got good advise about tracking your food. Also, do some kind of exercise. I used a staionary bike, because I could sit and still burn calories. Also, it was easy on the knees.

Keep using this site. You get alot of help and encourgement. There is nothing like keeping in touch with others in the same situation.

YOU HAVE DONE GREAT YOURSELF. Wow! what a wonderful inspiration to see how the band and your hard work has paid off. Congratulations.

Doddie and Karen.....edited my last message. Meant to say "loose as much weight" not "use as much weight". If I knew how to put in an embarrasses "smiley" I would put it here!!:wink2:

Doddie and Karen.....edited my last message. Meant to say "loose as much weight" not "use as much weight". If I knew how to put in an embarrasses "smiley" I would put it here!!:biggrin:

Use the weight or loose the weight - what's the diff???:wink2:

If you want to use the smilies, when you type the message in the message box, make sure your cursor is in the place you want it to be then click on the appropriate smilie.

The other night at the meeting, someone mentioned that the WII was helping them. I may have to check that out, as I would then be able to sit inside in the air conditioning and still exercise!!! It would really be nice if I can loose as much weight as ya'll!!

I've used a Wii and Wii Fit for exercise for over a year. I have to be careful which exercises I do so I don't aggravate my knees, but it's fun and it gets me up and moving. I like the bowling, tennis, golf and balance exercises.

Tomorrow is my 2 yr "Bandiversary". According to one LapBand study, average for "most" to have lost at the 2 yr point is 38% of their excess weight. Maybe I've set my goal a little high for my height, but I figure I've lost 62% of what I've set as my goal. I'm having left knee joint replacement on Aug. 25 and after recovery phase, should be able to step up my exercise. (No pun intended!) :wink2::biggrin::biggrin:

Diana I live in Northwest Indiana - Schererville to be exact. I have a good friend who just spent a week near Santa Claus and loved it. How long ago did you live in Indiana?

I wish you all the best with the knee operation and a quick recovery. Let me know how it goes. Even though my knee feels MUCH better since I lost all this weight, I will still need to have my left knee replaced sometime.

Doddie you are right.....if we use it we loose it, so it all equals out:biggrin:! and thanks for the info about the smilies. I had just been sending a quick reply and not "advanced", no wonder I couldn't find them!

Karen, I lived in Indiana from 1990 until 1993. My husband was a ranger with the National Park Service and we moved around a lot. Left Indiana for an assignment in Alaska and retired to the Ozarks.

Phyll, you and Doddie are on to something with the WII exercise. Several people in my support group have them. My grandson has one but he inconsiderately moved away from here so I can't borrow his!:crying: I may have to get one of my own. I sure hope your knee surgery goes well, I have several friends who have had one or both replaced and they are doing well.

Just got back from the hospital and had all the tests to prepare me for surgery next Monday! Only 6 more days on the Optifast!^_^

Doddie you are right.....if we use it we loose it, so it all equals out:biggrin:! and thanks for the info about the smilies. I had just been sending a quick reply and not "advanced", no wonder I couldn't find them!

Karen, I lived in Indiana from 1990 until 1993. My husband was a ranger with the National Park Service and we moved around a lot. Left Indiana for an assignment in Alaska and retired to the Ozarks.

Phyll, you and Doddie are on to something with the WII exercise. Several people in my support group have them. My grandson has one but he inconsiderately moved away from here so I can't borrow his!:biggrin: I may have to get one of my own. I sure hope your knee surgery goes well, I have several friends who have had one or both replaced and they are doing well.

Just got back from the hospital and had all the tests to prepare me for surgery next Monday! Only 6 more days on the Optifast!^_^

I am so excited for you because I have just returned from my doctors office and I have been declared "diabeties cured". Prior I was diabeties controlled but CURED oh, how sweet it is. I am excited for you because I know you will be able to someday tell us you have been able to walk a mile and expect to see more smilies. The band works used properly.

I will be thinking of you on Monday. Please be sure to post and let us know how you are doing.

Doddie:thumbup::crying::thumbup::lol: