Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Yes Phyllser & everyone,

I made it back. Thank you for asking.

There's Good news & there's Good news.

I have not been losing for the past 2-3 weeks but have been losing "inches", but have started losing again. Even better news is I am now OFF all my blood pressure meds AND all my Diabetic meds, also cut my cholesterol meds in half. I have my next appt with my family Doc in Sept and "might" be able to get off the rest of my meds. It sure is strange to get up in the morning and all I have to take is my Vitamins, etc.

I’m now down 47 lbs. I see my post op-Doc (Dr. Low) on June 30th. I’m not sure if she will give me a fill or not. Well see.

I see everyone is doing very good. Keep up the good work, Don

WOW! Don, that IS GOOD news!

You're doing GREAT!!

I'm sure your doc will be quite pleased when you see her next week!

You waited so patiently for SO long to have your surgery.

It's a real blessing to see you doing so well!

How's your wfe doing?

Hi Everyone

Just dropped by to wish everyone a happy 4th of July holiday! I am enjoying a week of vacation at home, and trying to remember that it is not a vacation from healthy eating.

I got my driver's license renewed yesterday, and was so excited to change the weight on the new one!

P.S. I added a picture of the new "lighter" me.

Edited by KarenIn

LOVE the picture, Karen! You look gorgeous!!

It must have been fun to get the new drivers license. I'm going to have to lose quite a few more pounds to match the weight listed on mine! Whenever I've renewed it, the lady at the counter has smiled and suggested my weight was still the same. I just didn't argue - I knew I would make it true some day - and maybe before the next license was due... This time it will happen! YAY!

Happy 4th of July to everyone. Fly your flags and Celebrate America!

LOVE the picture, Karen! You look gorgeous!!

It must have been fun to get the new drivers license. I'm going to have to lose quite a few more pounds to match the weight listed on mine! Whenever I've renewed it, the lady at the counter has smiled and suggested my weight was still the same. I just didn't argue - I knew I would make it true some day - and maybe before the next license was due... This time it will happen! YAY!

Happy 4th of July to everyone. Fly your flags and Celebrate America!

Joann Marie Thanks for your kind words. I see that you are also doing VERY well with your weight loss. Keep up the amazing progress. I love this site because it helps to get encourgement and know that you are not alone in the journey.

HI,I am brand new to this site and I don't have a clue how to post a picture or ticker!!!I am 10 months post -op and really want some input on how us 60s plus are doing.I hane lost about 40 pounds.Please post and help me get started on this site.thanks, pugmomma

HI,I am brand new to this site and I don't have a clue how to post a picture or ticker!!!I am 10 months post -op and really want some input on how us 60s plus are doing.I hane lost about 40 pounds.Please post and help me get started on this site.thanks, pugmomma

Hi Laura and welcome to the 60 thread!!! I think you will like it here because there is lots of support and help along your journey to a healthier person.

If you click on "User CP" at the top left hand corner of this page, and then on edit picture, you will be able to add a picture on your profile page as an atvar. Also, if you click on any of the tickers, you will be take to the tickler site and just follow the instructions there.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am soon going to be 62 years old, and am working fulltime. I am a widow and have two children, one boy and one girl. I have three wonderful grandsons that are 17 months old, 4 1/2 years old and 5 years old. I love to quilt; however, I don't get too much time for that hobby. I also love to cook. I have been finding some pretty good heatlhy recipes online and a few good cook books.< /p>

I follow a low carb diet, and it seems to really work for me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

For me, I have to click on my own ticker to get back to where you can make changes. Originally I had to go to

Graphical Tickers and Trackers: Weight Loss, Trying To Conceive, Pregnancy...

to set up my ticker. Try that if you need more help.

Also, there is a tutorial on using the tracker at http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Good luck...it is fairly easy once you get started. The first couple of times I made changes I thought I was making errors because I had to type my password in twice. It was not me, that's how the system works.

Edited by NormaRae
spelling error

Good to see some posts here! It gets too quiet for too long!

And good to see some new posters.

Hope you all are having a wonderful 4th of July weekend.

Weather her in the Pacific NW is GREAT!

PERFECT!

Sunshine and warm, but not too hot!

Love i!

14_1_108.gif

Good to see some posts here! It gets too quiet for too long!

And good to see some new posters.

Hope you all are having a wonderful 4th of July weekend.

Weather her in the Pacific NW is GREAT!

PERFECT!

Sunshine and warm, but not too hot!

Love i!

14_1_108.gif

congrats on your weight loss. I am still trying. What do you eat? I am trying to revamp my diet and need some advice on what to do. Had my operation on Feb 28th and have only loss 25 pounds with regains. Finally, got restriction at 8.3 with the realize band last wednesday. Still can eat more than 1 cup at night. But I feel I can lose now. Would really appreciate knowing what other 60+ folk are doing to lose 100 + pounds. Hope to hear from you soon.

congrats on your weight loss. I am still trying. What do you eat? I am trying to revamp my diet and need some advice on what to do. Had my operation on Feb 28th and have only loss 25 pounds with regains. Finally, got restriction at 8.3 with the realize band last wednesday. Still can eat more than 1 cup at night. But I feel I can lose now. Would really appreciate knowing what other 60+ folk are doing to lose 100 + pounds. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi! A typical day's food for me starts with a small eggbeaters omelet... a little finely chopped imit. crab, onion, mushroom and a small amt of grated white cheese, usually skim mozarella. lunch is usually a small salad... a little seafood on top. I like the imit. crab, so use that a lot in salads, or maybe some shrimp or tuna. I eat a LOT of fish. dinner is about 4 oz of meat or fish and some veggies. I only eat beef about 1-2 times a week. In the afternoon, I sometimes have about 1 oz of white cheese for a snack. Evening snack, if any, is usually Jello 60 calorie pudding cup. I like the rice/creme brule. Some time during the day I often have a SF, FF latte... probably has about 6-8 oz of skim milk in it. I'm losing very slowly right now, but unable to get in much exercise because of arthritis in the knees. Will have knee replacement surgery at the end of the summer and that should help a lot!

Hi: It has been over 2 1/2 years now and I am an slow looser. I have lost and gained the same weight over and over again BUT the bottom line has been, I am still going down.

the only way I keep my sanity is to weigh every Saturday at the same time and record my weight on Fitday. When I generate the chart, I see that although I gain and loose, my weight continues to go down .18 lbs per week. Your problem may be your metabolism and food choices combined. I would suggest you record and see if you can pinpoint why you are not loosing. The simple answer is too many calories in but as we all know, we are not all made the same and nothing is simple.

Also, I resent not being able to eat my favorite foods, so I made the decision at the time of banding, I would not diet but work hard at the choices. If I really wanted my favorite snack, I have it but I record it. This gives me some control and yet allows me to be "normal".

I am sorry I do not have any easy solutions, but I have found the band is just a tool and I still must work hard to loose. Just have less of an appetite for huge quantities.

I wish you well in your journey.

Hi

You are doing great with a 25 pound weight loss in four months. It's best to lose from 1-2 pounds a week to stay healthy.

My diet consist primarly of low-fat dairy and lean low-fat Protein.

Normally, for Breakfast I have a smoothie made with low fat yogurt, skim milk, frozen fruit and some Protein Powder. Or, I have cottage cheese or plain low fat yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in. I am loving strawberries and blueberries right now. Sometimes, I have eggs for breakfast.

I like to make Entrees with chicken breast, lean ground turkey or fish. I make things like turkey chilli and chicken stew in the slow cooker and freezer one cup portions to take to work for lunch so I don't have to run out for fast food which is so full of fat and salt.

For dinner I have grilled chicken, salmon or tuna with a vegtable.

I love greek salads with feta cheese and low cal dressing.

I stay away from carbs. Therefore, I only eat whole wheat bread products, and then only once in a while. I stay away from potatoes, white rice and sugar. I like to use Splenda because it blends well and I can cook with it. I found a get Splenda cookbook.

Once in a while I have a sweet treat, but I find that when I eat sugary stuff I crave more food then ever.

The key is get your protein, because it keeps you full and helps to keep lean muscle mass.

Stick with it and get some exercise - the pounds will come off. Remember, we all loss at our own pace.

Keep in touch.

Edited by KarenIn
Addtional message

Well, I found the place for me.....here with the other 60"s folks!! I have been reading a lot on this site and today I decided to let you all know what is happening with me. I have gotten my approval for the surgery and am happy and anxious! I will be banded in Springfield MO on July 27th. My surgeon is Thomas Moffe.....incidentally he removed my gall bladder several years ago.....so I have a lot of confidence in him. I am so anxious to get this surgery so I can begin to feel much better...physically and mentally! I am glad that I found "my" age group here and look forward to a lot of good conversations.

Dian

Welcome to our spot on this site. Tell us a little bit about yourself. What made you decide to have the surgery. Does your doc require a liquid diet pre-surgery?