Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded and now found out I have to be in a wedding?!?!

Hello all!

I was just banded on January 7th. Went to the doc yesterday and I've lost a total of 30lbs since beginning this journey. I'm still on liquids though (start mushies on Monday) so I know that they first couple of weeks are usually the most drastic when it comes to the loss. I fully expect to stay the same or possibly even gain a pound or two when I start incorporating "real" food.< /p>

Just found out today that my sorority sister is getting married in October and wants me to be in the wedding. I said yes, of course. But now I'm freaking out. 1. The dress is short! I'm a fat girl, I don't show my cankles. :) 2. I have to order the dress by March!! I'm not sure what to do? What size to order?

I go in for my first fill on February 6th. For those of you banded, once you started getting fills did you lose at a steady rate? I don't want to order a size smaller and not be able to fit. But I don't want to order my current size and have to spend the equivalent of the dress itself getting it altered.

Do any of yall have suggestions?

Apparently the style of the dress is new and in high demand. They estimate approx 16 weeks to deliver. Which then leaves time for alterations and such. I might be able to wait until April at the latest to order, but it's still got to be early. Ridiculous, I know. :)

I think I would wait as long as possible and figure out about how much you lose in an average month. That might give you a better idea of what size to order.

I've gone down from a size 18 pants to a size 10 since July. I can't imagine you are going to be anywhere near the same size in October as you are now. I would order at least 2 sizes smaller than your present size. At the very least it will be good incentive to stick to the program. I wouldn't be surprised if that would still be too big by October. You've already lost 30 lb, so you will probably lose at least that much more. Plus, the weight loss and shrinking aren't exactly in sync, for me. I lose weight, then my body shrinks afterwards. It takes time to catch up to the weight loss.

Yep, wait until the last minute before you order the dress. You will have some sense of your weight loss pattern by then. Do not, however, order the dress in a super mini-size. It is better to have a dress-maker rework the dress. I figure that your bride should be prepared to either a) pay for the dress or :) pay for the alterations. Even normos can gain or lose weight between March and October.

I suggest that you speak frankly or, well, semi-frankly to this bride. Tell her that you are determined to lose weight and that you have embarked on a new weight loss plan. Explain to her that this leaves you feeling awful apprehensive about the lengthy time gap between committing to da dress and when the wedding will actually take place. Tell her that you are oh so thrilled to be invited to take an active role in her Big Day but at the same time emphasize to her that you do not have real deep pockets.

Explain to her that you your weight loss project, something to which you figure that you are really committed, and this biz of how the bridesmaid dress is actually gonna fit you come October 2008. This is the point where you ask her whether she might be able to underwrite the cost of the reconstruction of your dress, eh. You know, the tailor's tab........

I just found out I am to be the best man at a wedding in september. I hope I am close to goal by then. I feel your pain.

similar issue, my best friend is getting married in oct, im gettin banded jan 30th, (she doesnt know im gettin banded-im not telling anyone)anyhoo im the maid of honor, and i have to order my dress by april(right now im a size 26), but, i know i wont be the same size when oct. comes. so ima wait up until the last minute to order my dress (sometime in april) then take it to get altered in the first of oct...that the only solution i know of

Thanks for all the kind words!

Green: That's an excellent idea, but I'm not sure I can ask her to cover the cost. lol. I HATE talking money with people. But we'll see. She might end up offering...since I'm the only one having to fly in for the wedding. There might be some sort of compromise.

DerickM: 163 pounds lost already!! You've done fabulous, I'm sure you will be really close to your goal by september!

Andraa: We are in the EXACT same boat. Wedding in October, order dress in April, Maid of Honor. Blah. First, I'm not a fan of weddings anyway. But this is just added stress. lol. Not to mention the bride has decided on a short dress! Ugh. I like to keep my cankle under wraps! lol. I'm currently a size 22/24. Luckily, I just found a terrific tailor here in the city and he's really cheap with a quick (1-2 days) turn around time. So I may be able to postpone ordering the dress a bit longer. Best of luck to you!

Can you convince these brides to go with a different style that doesnt require so much lead time?

.......I mean 6 months!! that is crazy, what if someone in the wedding party gets preggo, in 6 months there will be quite a bit of shape change.

OR ........Just thing how FAB it's gonna feel to say to the dressmaker, Please can you take this in, its just way too big on me (he hehehe)

That feeling may be worth the buckaroos spent on alterations

comepick me up: girl, keep me posted on how everything is goin for ya, i found a good tailor also that can have my dress done in 1-2 day as well, lol your worry about your legs (which i sure will be fine!), im worried about my arms (of course the dresses are sleeveless) dont want no "bat wings" anyway good luck to ya and let me guess.. are you'll dresses coming form davids? with that long 6 month window?

Hello all!

I was just banded on January 7th. Went to the doc yesterday and I've lost a total of 30lbs since beginning this journey. I'm still on liquids though (start mushies on Monday) so I know that they first couple of weeks are usually the most drastic when it comes to the loss. I fully expect to stay the same or possibly even gain a pound or two when I start incorporating "real" food.

Just found out today that my sorority sister is getting married in October and wants me to be in the wedding. I said yes, of course. But now I'm freaking out. 1. The dress is short! I'm a fat girl, I don't show my cankles. :sneaky: 2. I have to order the dress by March!! I'm not sure what to do? What size to order?

I go in for my first fill on February 6th. For those of you banded, once you started getting fills did you lose at a steady rate? I don't want to order a size smaller and not be able to fit. But I don't want to order my current size and have to spend the equivalent of the dress itself getting it altered.

Do any of yall have suggestions?

Hey there. Congrats you are doing great. Hold off on ordering the dress until the end of March, average out how much you are losing per month - they say around 8 to 10 per month and go from there.BUT REMEMBER THIS MOST OF THE BRIDES MAIDS GOWNS FOR EXAMPLE A GOWN IN SIZE 14 IS REALLY REGULAR SIZE 10 THEY RUN SMALL TO BEGIN WITH. THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE FROM BEING SO MANY WEDDINGS.WORST CASE YOU ORDER ABOUT 2 SIZES SMALLER THEN YOU ARE NOW AND PAY THE ALTERATIONS. I KNOW IT IS COSTLY BUT WOULD STILL BE EXCITING TO GET INTO A SMALLER DRESS.LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU.

Ya something I can relate to!

I was banded 4/23 and became engage in June :sneaky: My wedding is in 24 days. I was a size 20 when I got engaged and I am now a large 12 small 14 depends.

I bought a wedding dress ahead of time and found someone local that can do alterations within a day or 2 :thumbup: So I just did my last fitting with her and she altered it to fit me PERFECTLY now. She only charged me 125 to have it done asap and she got it back to me within 24 hours.

I am sure there has to be someone out there that could do that for you :thumbup: It's better to have the dress too big than too small.