Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Question For Pro-choicers?.

If you are pro-choice, do you support second and third trimester abortions?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are pro-choice, do you support second and third trimester abortions?

• Yes, Abortions at any stage should always be the woman's right.
    • No, I support first trimester abortions only.
    • No, I support first and second trimester abortions only
    • I would never support a third trimester abortion.

"I do have an issue if the fetus has any chance of life outside the womb to be disposed of. Who are we to play God and say a baby only has a 1 in 4 chance to survive, so they don't get the chance."

I agree. However, the difference between us, is I am pro-choice. I have stated in another thread, though, that once the fetus is biologically capable of living outside the womb, the choice is now taken from the mother, except in cases of danger to the mother.

I consider conception as the "potential for life" not as life itself. If not, then I am a murderer, as my wife and I had multiple embryos created for IVF, and not all of those were allowed to grow. Of course, not all of the embryos that were implanted grew either, so I guess they weren't part of the "plan" either...oops gone into TMI land again. :frown:

Met another mother who had two embryos implanted, and both split, and she had two sets of identical twins...talk about getting your money's worth!! :)

"I do have an issue if the fetus has any chance of life outside the womb to be disposed of. Who are we to play God and say a baby only has a 1 in 4 chance to survive, so they don't get the chance."

I agree. However, the difference between us, is I am pro-choice. I have stated in another thread, though, that once the fetus is biologically capable of living outside the womb, the choice is now taken from the mother, except in cases of danger to the mother.

I consider conception as the "potential for life" not as life itself. If not, then I am a murderer, as my wife and I had multiple embryos created for IVF, and not all of those were allowed to grow. Of course, not all of the embryos that were implanted grew either, so I guess they weren't part of the "plan" either...oops gone into TMI land again. :frown:

Met another mother who had two embryos implanted, and both split, and she had two sets of identical twins...talk about getting your money's worth!! :)

See, I understand that reasoning, even if we don't agree.

It's my body and my God. God can decide where if I go to hell or heaven. In the mean time don't tell me what I may or may not do.

I have 4 children, ages 13, 10, 7 and 22 months. I never thought of abortion when I found out I was pregnant with any of them. The first 3 were planned children, the 4th one is a result of my taking antibiotics while taking birth control pills and not using a backup method of contraception. While shocked my husband and I were both excited by the fact we would be having another baby. I am glad to know that if for some reason I had a reason to have an abortion I could have done so. Abortion is not the right choice for me BUT if my sister or friend decides to have an abortion that is their decision NOT mine. And for these people arguing about viability-a fetus that is 12 weeks(meaning 12 weeks after conception) has a heartbeat, has brainwaves, has eyes, has everything really but if that fetus is "born" there is very little chance it will survive. I think that is what some people are referring to when they say "anything less than a 50%" chance of survival. I have a friend that knew from about week 13 that something was wrong with her baby, she had some kind of blockage of the urethra(sp?) that had stopped her kidneys from developing properly...the doctors called this condition myosistic kidneys. They informed my friend that the chances to deliver a viable baby were less than 40% but she put her baby's fate in the hands of God. She made it to 24 weeks and her labor was induced because she had severe hypertension(which was intensified by the baby's condition) and it was becoming dangerous to her health to continue the pregnancy. Her daughter was born, she weighed 11 ounces and the doctors told my friend that her heart was "twittering" meaning it was trying to beat on its own. They told her they could work on the baby and get her heart going but they also told her in their medical opinion she would suffer. My friend told them no to leave her alone, if God wanted her to live she would. She did not. So I feel it was a no win situation either way for my friend. IF she had an abortion she would have always wondered "what if" so she had the baby and the baby was officially listed as stillborn and she still wonders "what if". The decision whether or not to have an abortion can never be easy for anyone I dont think.

I only support second or third trimester abortions if the mother's life is in danger or if there is something wrong with the baby and it would suffer greatly if it were born. By the second trimester, a woman should know if she wants to abort or not. Abortion in my state is only legal up to 12 weeks. I knew one girl who had to go out of state to have an abortion because she was late into her second trimester. She was just lazy and kept putting it off. But she had like 5 abortions before, so I guess it was no big deal to her. I think that is so wrong. Abortion is also a lot more dangerous after the first trimester. I don't really see why a woman would need to have an abortion during the third trimester if her life was in danger. There are so many medical advances today. A lot of babies born very early in the third trimester live and do just fine. I have a friend who had twins early, like 8 weeks early, and they are normal 3 year olds now.

although i am currently almost 24 weeks pregnant, i am pro-choice. i, however, do not think i could ever have an actual abortion.

due to my "advanced maternal age" (37 at delivery), i was given 2 rounds of tests that check for "chromosomal deficiencies"... i informed them no matter what the result of the blood work, i would not be getting an amnio nor would i abort.... if the life is not viable, _I_ am not the one to decide that.

back to the question though - - i think only first trimester abortions and when the mother's health is seriously in danger should be performed. the first trimester gives the mother plenty of time to think and decide...

it would be a tough decision and i'm glad i've never had to make it...

although i am currently almost 24 weeks pregnant, i am pro-choice. i, however, do not think i could ever have an actual abortion.

due to my "advanced maternal age" (37 at delivery), i was given 2 rounds of tests that check for "chromosomal deficiencies"... i informed them no matter what the result of the blood work, i would not be getting an amnio nor would i abort.... if the life is not viable, _I_ am not the one to decide that.

Losingjusme, I'm not trying to be confrontational; I'm just trying to understand. Two separate questions: 1) why do you think you could never have an abortion?, and 2) if you are not the one to decide if the life is viable or not, as the mother of that life, then who is? And if it's someone other than you who should be making that decision for you, the mother, why is it OK for other mothers to decide to end that life?

Please understand that I truly am trying to get to the bottom of the reasoning here; I'm really, really not trying to be confrontational. I've never had anyone actually be able to concisely and logically explain the reasoning to me and I want to understand (but I may also want to ask follow-up questions :eek:).

BTW, congratulations on your pregnancy :eek:

This has been a great thread for allowing people to voice their opinions without having someone jump in and be confrontational and accusatory and launch into a long lecture about how women are committing murder if they find themselves in the horrible position of needing an abortion.

That is until the post before mine. It sounds like the same kind of baiting that happened on the really, really long other thread on this topic.

Gadget, if anyone knows the ins and outs of all the arguments and reasoning, both pro and con, it's you.

I had my abortion as soon as I found out that I was pregnant and could arrange it. I figure that I was 7 or 8 weeks along.

This has been a great thread for allowing people to voice their opinions without having someone jump in and be confrontational and accusatory and launch into a long lecture about how women are committing murder if they find themselves in the horrible position of needing an abortion.

That is until the post before mine. It sounds like the same kind of baiting that happened on the really, really long other thread on this topic.

Gadget, if anyone knows the ins and outs of all the arguments and reasoning, both pro and con, it's you.

I totally agree with you. This was supposed to be a thread for prochoicers.

Actually, I do not know the answer to the question I asked, because no one's ever answered it for me in a logical, consistent way (most people just say something along the lines of, "that's just what I believe" and/or "that's just how I feel" and leave it at that). I am not trying to be confrontational and accusatory and launch into a lecture. I am asking a question and trying to get an answer. In fact, I said twice in the original post that I am not trying to be confrontational.

My goodness! She said something about it here, so I asked the question here. If she wants to, she can answer me in the other thread so this thread can remain "pure". Give me a break.

Ok gadget. I apologize for assuming that your questions were questions you were using to bait Losingjusme so that you could counter whatever her answers were with the same kind of propaganda that you have used for months, (or is it years?), on the other thread. They somehow just sounded so very familiar.

I am sorry that I didn't recognize that you were genuinely in the dark about why a person would feel the way Losingjusme does about the topic of a woman's right to choose. I also apologize to Losingjusme for possibly interrupting the flow of her message.

Btw gadget, has anyone told you how much your photo and your words remind them of Sarah Palin? You really do remind me of her. And she's a former beauty queen! Did you ever participate in pagents?

Ok gadget. I apologize for assuming that your questions were questions you were using to bait Losingjusme so that you could counter whatever her answers were with the same kind of propaganda that you have used for months, (or is it years?), on the other thread. They somehow just sounded so very familiar.

I know you consider legitimate questions "baiting" and "propaganda". I consider them questions, and more specifically, questions that no one ever answers.