Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

Hello Minnesota Lapbanders,

I am new to all of this. I have my first visit with the doctor this friday. They recieved all my paperwork. I meet with the phychologist first. I dont know what to expect. I am going through Park nicollet at St. Louis Park. I have not met my physician. Any recommendations at St. louis park? I have so many questions to ask. I have been following the forum for the last year. I recently joined, and found the minnesota crew. I have heard lots of good and bad stories. I love to eat. I have been fat since I was 8 years old. I weight 255 lbs and 32 years old. I really need to changfe my life. Any advice? Thanks! Jules

Jlynn - hey I'm from Grand Rapids - born and raised there! Ok so actually I was born in Big Fork. I lived in Cohasset so when I saw Deer River I was like .. OMGOODNESS!!! You aren't my cousin Kristy .. or Kelly are you? Kristy was banded last summer and I'm not sure if Kelly got banded yet. Anyway I've lived in PA for the past 20 some years but Minn is still my home. I'm going to be in Wirt.. ever hear of it? at the Suregame resort in July... its just amazing what a small world we live in.

Hey Steph...I can assure you that I'm not your cousin.....but my real name is Jen....I actually live in Virginia, grew up in Tower,,,I was banded in 05...it was going good until I got sick a couple of months ago...now I see Dr Margo in Deer River to find out what's up next Wednesday. I had changed to Duluth for follow up care, but they have been unable to find out why I am unrestricted. Dr Margo is an awesome surgeon, and the one who put it in, so I'm going back to him to find out what's wrong. I don't know where that resort is..by Rapids? I'm more familiar w/ Lake Vermilion near tower, since that's where I'm from. Crazy what a small world....

Julieann--I love to eat too....and I wish I could tell you that will go away, but the fact is, it doesn't. Not for me anyway. Maybe some people's mentality changes in an instant. But I'm a tester, I see how much I can eat, it's bad. It's honest though. It's always been a struggle, and though the band has helped me lose weight, the mind game never stops.

Jlynn - I actually lived in Taconite (on the range) for about 3 years when I was in jr high. I've only been to Virginia a few times but used to go to Hibbing alot to shop - but anyhoo it is a small world.

Hello Minnesota Lapbanders,

I am new to all of this. I have my first visit with the doctor this friday. They recieved all my paperwork. I meet with the phychologist first. I dont know what to expect. I am going through Park nicollet at St. Louis Park. I have not met my physician. Any recommendations at St. louis park? I have so many questions to ask. I have been following the forum for the last year. I recently joined, and found the minnesota crew. I have heard lots of good and bad stories. I love to eat. I have been fat since I was 8 years old. I weight 255 lbs and 32 years old. I really need to changfe my life. Any advice? Thanks! Jules

Hi Julieann,

I went through Park Nicollet as well. I used Dr. Wetherall but I've heard that Dr. Jones is the best and I have also heard that between the nurses get either Dorothy or Barb, Carol would be your third choice. I have Carol and she at times isn't very helpful. Don't worry too much about the phyc appointment, it's very generic. You'll have to take the MMPI and then talk after the results from the test come in. Be honest and frank. It was pretty nice actually. I live north of Forest Lake and was banded on December 9th. I'm down 52 pounds and doing well. Good luck girl. :)

Hi Minnesotans! I'm in the twin cities area - anyone have theirs done at the U of M? I go under the knife on Tuesday April 17. Very excited, but a little nervous. I'm happy to chat should anyone pick up the MN thread. :confused:

Spencd1

Thank you for responding. The pychological test was not bad at all. I am excited to see the results. Have you had any problems with your surgery? Slipage, or have you recieved a fill? The nurse told me i would be meeting with Carol. I hope to request Jones. I also herd good things about him. Has it been hard not to eat as much? I am so undecided and scared. Everyone tells me try to just diet and exercise. I just dont want problems after the surgery. I hear so much stuff on this forum that it's such a hard decision. Could you tell me allitle of your experience? Thanks, Julie

Good luck, you'll do fine...just try to stick to the rules....don't test it....it seems so scary, then you adjust without even really knowing it....

If possible, do try to change your nurse to either Dorothy or Barb. Also, I have not had a fill yet but will. I have had no problems what so ever. I am steadily losing and feeling really good. As I understand, slipage is rare so don't be too concerned. The hardest part was the liquid diet for 10 days (mine ended up to be 14 days due to a last minute surgery reschedule). After your surgery, you really won't want to eat and you start out very slow. Park Nicollet has an entire program and will give you all of the information as to what you need to be eating as you go along. At this time, I can eat anything I want, I simply eat small portions. I also exercise and drink plenty of Water. I have also pretty much cut out all alcohol consumption. I understand your nerviousness, this is a big step. Most people have a good experience with this surgery and most do very well. There are a few that have difficulties, they do happen. Good thing, there are far more good experiences than bad.

My name is Deb, I live just north of Forest Lake. Where abouts are you from?

Deb,

Thank you for responding back. I live 30 min south of Burnsville. I will try to switch my nurses. Thanks for the great advice. It's so nice to hear good things about the surgery. I am starting to prepare myself daily by choices I make. Hopefully I get enough courage to go through with it. Thanks, Julie

I just had the lapband surgery this past Friday at Abbott. I attended the initial informational meeting in January. Debbie, the nurse manager, is wonderful. I'm pretty sore yet (2 days later) but feel improvement. Of course, the all liquid diet is old and am looking forward to full liquids next week. I wish you well.

Hi there! I live in Thunder Bay, ONt. I was banded in Toronto. I am looking for info- is there any clinic or hospital in Duluth, that does "fills"? I would rather drive 3.5hrs than have to fly (1.5hr or drive 18hrs ) to Toronto. The $300 flights are killing me!!LOL Can anyone help??

Robyn

Hi there! I live in Thunder Bay, ONt. I was banded in Toronto. I am looking for info- is there any clinic or hospital in Duluth, that does "fills"? I would rather drive 3.5hrs than have to fly (1.5hr or drive 18hrs ) to Toronto. The $300 flights are killing me!!LOL Can anyone help??

Robyn

Hello Robyn,

Yup Saint Mary's Duluth Clinic does have a bariatric center and does fills. The number up here is 218-786-1234 to make an appointment. If you need any recommendations on good doctors don't be shy! I work as an RN at SMDC ;)

Becky

Robyn

I had Dr. Medlin at SMDC do my surgery and the bariatric support team is great. His PA Tiffany Wolner does my fills and they are painless and easy she does a great job. I think you would like all of his support team.

Terry